Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sony a7 and Vivitar Series 135/2.3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject: Sony a7 and Vivitar Series 135/2.3 Reply with quote

Opening day at the local castle means falconry to me, this year with the added twist of using a mirrorless camera with EV for the first time.
It was not easy.
The EV stutters when using the fastest frame rate so it was very difficult to focus as I followed the birds. Somehow I managed to come away with a few keepers....

Editing the Sony's files is also different to Canon files, my technique has to change and it will be a while before I get it just right.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Dog you are off to a good start! Very nice 3D effect. Very dramatic photos. Nicely done!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still nailed few, nice work!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! I especially like BIF shots that get the bird looking directly at you.

I agree that trying to capture BIF shots is a real challenge with an EVF. The new Sony a6300 is supposed to have an EVF that updates in realtime during high speed shooting. But at $1000 I'm going to wait for the price to come down.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tryed once manual focus on flying bird ... nooo way for me.

nice catch Wink

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Sony a7 and Vivitar Series 135/2.3 Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
Opening day at the local castle means falconry to me, this year with the added twist of using a mirrorless camera with EV for the first time.
It was not easy.
The EV stutters when using the fastest frame rate so it was very difficult to focus as I followed the birds. Somehow I managed to come away with a few keepers....

Outstanding photographs.It is not easy to get the sharp pictures with fast moving objects,pretty slow manual lenses and mirrorles cameras.

Editing the Sony's files is also different to Canon files, my technique has to change and it will be a while before I get it just right.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with the cam body, but I am with the lens. I would say you certainly did nail a few keepers there, SonicScot, and I do like the rendering from that VS1 135/2.3. Do you have any idea of the aperture(s) that you used? (Thanks.)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always admired your falconry shots.
I am amazed at your ability to nail focus with MF
OH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fwcetus wrote:
I'm not familiar with the cam body, but I am with the lens. I would say you certainly did nail a few keepers there, SonicScot, and I do like the rendering from that VS1 135/2.3. Do you have any idea of the aperture(s) that you used? (Thanks.)

The aperture was one click below f4, whatever number that is.

This lens is one of my favourites, it can produce an incredible 3D effect in the right conditions. In fact, I have been 'accused' several times of pasting subjects into photographs because the effect is so obvious. I take that as a compliment to the lens Smile
It does have its faults though, some shots were lacking contrast today and several had bad purple CA (I was often shooting into the sun). But both problems are easily fixed in pp so it's no problem really.

I don't yet know if I'll stick with the a7 for falconry, I still have my 7D which is better suited for this kind of action.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Like Dog you are off to a good start! Very nice 3D effect. Very dramatic photos. Nicely done!

Thank you Smile

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roka wrote:
Very nice! I especially like BIF shots that get the bird looking directly at you.

I agree that trying to capture BIF shots is a real challenge with an EVF. The new Sony a6300 is supposed to have an EVF that updates in realtime during high speed shooting. But at $1000 I'm going to wait for the price to come down.

I've been visiting this falconry show for about 5 years now, I've become good friends with the falconer and some of the birds. The Bengal Eagle Owl in these shots has taken a liking to me and recognises me when I visit. He usually flies right at me and lands on my head, I guess it's his way of saying 'hi' Laughing If I'm ready for it I get a chance at a great head-on shot like the one here.

Today was the first time I'd tried continuous shooting with the a7, it will take some getting used to. With an optical viewfinder I can follow focus as I track the birds, I might leave the a7 for landscapes in future.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Oldhand, shapencolour, thebbm and blotafton: thank you very much Smile

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrific shots! I'd be proud of any of these if they were mine. Very impressive technique.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LifesShort wrote:
Terrific shots! I'd be proud of any of these if they were mine. Very impressive technique.

Thank you Smile

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love your pictures. Smile #4 Wow Smile

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mfkid wrote:
Love your pictures. Smile #4 Wow Smile

Thanks ☺️
I added a slight vignette to No. 4 to help him stand out, the 3D pop from the lens helps too.

And here lies the problem of which camera to use for falconry. It's easier to focus with the 7D but the full frame a7 helps to produce better 'pop'. Maybe I will alternate the cameras this year and look at the results at the end of the season.

Noise is another factor, the 7D at ISO 200 is like the a7 at ISO 6400. I like my images to be clean so if I'm to use the 7D it has to be a very bright day.
Yes, I can use noise reduction software but it's always preferable to capture a clean image in camera.

Decisions, decisions..... Laugh 1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#4 is outstanding,love it. Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
I've been visiting this falconry show for about 5 years now, I've become good friends with the falconer and some of the birds. The Bengal Eagle Owl in these shots has taken a liking to me and recognises me when I visit. He usually flies right at me and lands on my head, I guess it's his way of saying 'hi' Laughing If I'm ready for it I get a chance at a great head-on shot like the one here.

However, you got the falcon looking at you, too. Smile BTW, what species of falcon was it?

And as for the Bengal eagle owl landing on your head, surely you must have had a sturdy hat on, no? (Those talons seem formidable on such raptors.) Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="SonicScot"]
fwcetus wrote:
The aperture was one click below f4, whatever number that is.

This lens is one of my favourites, it can produce an incredible 3D effect in the right conditions. In fact, I have been 'accused' several times of pasting subjects into photographs because the effect is so obvious. I take that as a compliment to the lens Smile
It does have its faults though, some shots were lacking contrast today and several had bad purple CA (I was often shooting into the sun). But both problems are easily fixed in pp so it's no problem really.

Thanks for the aperture info. I've never really used the 135/2.3 for any sort of birds-in-flight shots myself, so I was curious about what aperture you had used. Thinking about your answer a bit more, I realize you certainly did do ~very~ well with nailing the focus (at least in the "keepers").

I might mention that the "big brother" to the 135/2.3, the VS1 200/3, has pretty much the same positives and negatives (including a lack of contrast and CA, especially at wider apertures) -- but it also can make for some impressive images, too.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fwcetus wrote:
SonicScot wrote:

However, you got the falcon looking at you, too. Smile BTW, what species of falcon was it?

And as for the Bengal eagle owl landing on your head, surely you must have had a sturdy hat on, no? (Those talons seem formidable on such raptors.) Rolling Eyes

The Falcon is actually a Harris Hawk called Ebby, from the Americas. They are unusual in that they hunt in packs, North American Indians call them the Wolf on the wing. I've seen this in action when out with the falconer and he takes several of them to hunt for rabbits, the teamwork is a sight to see. They are probably the most intelligent bird of prey.
She's looking at me because I've predicted where she will fly next, it doesn't happen a lot but when I get it right she gives me a stare and flies particularly close to my head. I think she's playing with me.

The owl has incredible power in his talons but only uses it on things he can swallow whole. I'm not a big guy but he knows I'm a bit too big for him to eat. Owls are hand reared so they learn how much pressure they can use before they hurt a human. I'm usually wearing a baseball cap but I hardly know he's there, he's very gentle if you're not on the menu.
If he thought he could eat me I'd be in trouble, in his talons he has more power than a Rottweiler has in its jaws. He only weighs two and a half pounds Exclamation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a bad yield for such challenging photography. And I agree with what you said about the S1 135mm. Numbers 3 and 6 alone would make it worthwhile to me. Nice.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Not a bad yield for such challenging photography. And I agree with what you said about the S1 135mm. Numbers 3 and 6 alone would make it worthwhile to me. Nice.

Thanks Smile

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Sony a7 and Vivitar Series 135/2.3 Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
It was not easy.

My NEX 7 totally blacks out between frames when I use continuous focusing, and I know the A7 does this too. But with the NEX 7, I can set it on high speed (focus confirm on the first shot only) and I don't have any blackouts or even blinking in the EVF or on the display. I dunno about the A7 in this regard. Since there's no logical reason for using continuous focusing with a manual focus lens, and with difficult situations like this, I try to prefocus and then set the camera to high-speed. One quick press of the shutter button will capture as many as three frames, so often I get lucky.

Are you using the raw converter that came with your Sony to edit its files? I tried and then gave up. I gave up after posting a request in the Sony E-Mount forums for tips on how to make the most out of the software and got no responses. I later found out that I got no responses because nobody uses it because it is universally disliked. So these days I usually use Photoshop's excellent raw files converter instead. Sometimes, if I'm in a hurry, I'll use Paint Shop Pro's raw converter, which isn't nearly as robust as Photoshop's, but it gets the job done.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I import all my files to Lightroom, no matter the camera, 90% of my editing is done within Lightroom. I have never looked at Sony's software, don't even know what it's called.

I'll read the manual again for the a7, it would be very helpful if I could get rid of the stuttering/blinking EV. I didn't think this would happen with continuous shooting so it was a surprise, that's my fault for not testing it before the display started.