Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in
Some Olympus Pen-F 38mm f/1.8 love
View previous topic :: View next topic  


PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Some Olympus Pen-F 38mm f/1.8 love Reply with quote

Hi everyone! Long time no see Very Happy

Since some of the shots on my [old thread] are no longer available, I wanted to create this post with more pictures from the Zuiko 38mm f/1.8 from a recent trip to Finland. I chose to bring this lens with my NEX-C3 over the new Sigma 30mm f/2.8 EX DN for its extra low-light ability and bokeh, and i'm glad i did! This lens' sharpness, even wide open, combined with today's camera's low light ability make for a killer general purpose, low weight combo while traveling!

Here's some low light stuff, mostly f/1.8-f/2.8 @ mid to high ISOs:






It's lovely for daylight, too:





Works beautifully on a tripod, too! All shots @ f/11:





It works for portraits, too! Both shots wide open:



Hopefully this will help some of you decide in case you're considering this lens! I bought the newer Sigma 30mm to replace it, specially for its AF, but after this trip I decided I'm no longer going to sell this little gem Very Happy

Regards and Merry Christmas to all the manual focus lovers out there!
Anacondo.


Last edited by Anacondo on Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total


PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, very nice indeed! Too bad the images are so small as they are really good!


PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Yes, very nice indeed! Too bad the images are so small as they are really good!

You can see them a little bigger in my flickr stream after you click, but yeah, that's the biggest I'm comfortable with for web use Smile


PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, just did and you have some great stuff there! Not just Finland btw.!!


PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, thanks a lot, sir! I'm glad you liked it Very Happy


PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well deserved! Wink


PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, just saw this - it is an excellent series - keep your old lens and show more of it


PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 beautiful series, great quality !


PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb really, I also miss larger size..


PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great samples, amazing clarity, congrats and wishing much fun with this very likeable lens!


PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more from this wonderful little gem:







All three wide open. Now for something a little different, a panorama of 5 or 6 shots:



One at f/4:



This one was at f/8 i believe:



And the last one, wide open:



Here's a 100% crop of the last one:



Sharp enough for me! Happy Easter to everyone Smile


PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wonderful, again stunning high quality of photography!
the stitched panorama is quite jaw dropping


PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have got great pictures, do you pp them in any special way? All your pictures look in similar way color like. I like it a lot. BTW just added you on flickr Smile


PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! Glad you liked them Smile

Yeah, I like to play with my pics in lightroom, I have some presets that I've tweaked over the years and if I feel a picture is worth it, I process it until I feel it's right. There's no subtitute for good light, though! But yeah, I've been told color is kind of my trademark Smile


PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anacondo wrote:
Thanks guys! Glad you liked them Smile

Yeah, I like to play with my pics in lightroom, I have some presets that I've tweaked over the years and if I feel a picture is worth it, I process it until I feel it's right. There's no subtitute for good light, though! But yeah, I've been told color is kind of my trademark Smile


any chance of sharing those settings? Smile not sure if it is possible to share presets though


PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nurkov wrote:
Anacondo wrote:
Thanks guys! Glad you liked them Smile

Yeah, I like to play with my pics in lightroom, I have some presets that I've tweaked over the years and if I feel a picture is worth it, I process it until I feel it's right. There's no subtitute for good light, though! But yeah, I've been told color is kind of my trademark Smile


any chance of sharing those settings? Smile not sure if it is possible to share presets though

Sure, although it's not just a preset, it's more like 50 or so Smile But here's one that I feel could be a good starting point. Tweak and adjust to your heart's content! Smile

http://www.andresvaldaliso.es/personal/anacondo.lrtemplate

First thing you're probably gonna want to change is the exposure. I like to see things pop, so I tend to add whites/exposure almost to the point of overexposure, which I keep under control with the highlights slider. I also like to experiment with toning to add a certain vintage look, or just change the overall feel. Also, depending on the picture, I use gradients regularly to control exposure (if I feel one part of the image is detracting from the important area) or even color. Lastly, I almost always add a vignette to draw the viewer's attention towards the important parts. I don't know, it works for me Smile

Note this preset will only work in lightroom 4. Enjoy! Very Happy


PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saved, Smile I have got lightroom 4 so it should be ok, will give it a go later on and post results, cheers


PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nurkov wrote:
saved, Smile I have got lightroom 4 so it should be ok, will give it a go later on and post results, cheers

cool, keep us posted Smile


PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anacondo wrote:
....
Sure, although it's not just a preset, it's more like 50 or so Smile But here's one that I feel could be a good starting point. Tweak and adjust to your heart's content! Smile

http://www.andresvaldaliso.es/personal/anacondo.lrtemplate

First thing you're probably gonna want to change is the exposure. I like to see things pop, so I tend to add whites/exposure almost to ....Enjoy! Very Happy


wow, thank you very much for sharing!
but me not being versed in programming, can you, anybody explain to me how to make the info given in the link into a working preset?


PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
Anacondo wrote:
....
Sure, although it's not just a preset, it's more like 50 or so Smile But here's one that I feel could be a good starting point. Tweak and adjust to your heart's content! Smile

http://www.andresvaldaliso.es/personal/anacondo.lrtemplate

First thing you're probably gonna want to change is the exposure. I like to see things pop, so I tend to add whites/exposure almost to ....Enjoy! Very Happy


wow, thank you very much for sharing!
but me not being versed in programming, can you, anybody explain to me how to make the info given in the link into a working preset?


i think there is an option to import them from inside lightroom, in the presets panel (the [ + ] sign). i'll check it later when i get home, though.


PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you Smile
the + sign works but I'd have to set each parameter manually, me thinks Wink
and I have a hard time to make out those settings from your list, really..or is that the way it should be done?


PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
thank you Smile
the + sign works but I'd have to set each parameter manually, me thinks Wink
and I have a hard time to make out those settings from your list, really..or is that the way it should be done?

no, absolutely not... i exported the preset from that panel, but if importing it from there doesn't work, then i think you're supposed to copy that file somewhere.

try doing a quick google search for "lightroom import presets" or something like that, it should clear all our doubts Smile


PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anacondo wrote:
kuuan wrote:
thank you Smile
the + sign works but I'd have to set each parameter manually, me thinks Wink
and I have a hard time to make out those settings from your list, really..or is that the way it should be done?

no, absolutely not... i exported the preset from that panel, but if importing it from there doesn't work, then i think you're supposed to copy that file somewhere.

try doing a quick google search for "lightroom import presets" or something like that, it should clear all our doubts Smile


yep, I have downloaded a few presets before and imported.
one has to right click at 'presets', then click 'import' and go to the location of the downloaded file, that's all. However these files must have the extension 'irtemplate' and I don't have any idea how to make such a file from your list Sad

if you can help again..don't hurry..anytime when you find free time... Smile


Last edited by kuuan on Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total


PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
Anacondo wrote:
kuuan wrote:
thank you Smile
the + sign works but I'd have to set each parameter manually, me thinks Wink
and I have a hard time to make out those settings from your list, really..or is that the way it should be done?

no, absolutely not... i exported the preset from that panel, but if importing it from there doesn't work, then i think you're supposed to copy that file somewhere.

try doing a quick google search for "lightroom import presets" or something like that, it should clear all our doubts Smile


yep, I have downloaded a few presets before and imported.
one has to right click at 'presets', then click 'import' and go to the location of the file, that's all. However these files must have the extension 'irtemplate' and I don't have any idea how to make such a file from your list

if you can help again..don't hurry..anytime when you find free time... Smile

but that's exactly what my file is, an lrtemplate Smile just download it (right click, save as) and import!


PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anacondo wrote:
kuuan wrote:
Anacondo wrote:
kuuan wrote:
thank you Smile
the + sign works but I'd have to set each parameter manually, me thinks Wink
and I have a hard time to make out those settings from your list, really..or is that the way it should be done?

no, absolutely not... i exported the preset from that panel, but if importing it from there doesn't work, then i think you're supposed to copy that file somewhere.

try doing a quick google search for "lightroom import presets" or something like that, it should clear all our doubts Smile


yep, I have downloaded a few presets before and imported.
one has to right click at 'presets', then click 'import' and go to the location of the file, that's all. However these files must have the extension 'irtemplate' and I don't have any idea how to make such a file from your list

if you can help again..don't hurry..anytime when you find free time... Smile

but that's exactly what my file is, an lrtemplate Smile just download it (right click, save as) and import!


sorry for the trouble but I don't believe that it is possible to download the irtemplate from your link.
I only could 'save link as' and that would be a word document, or go to the site and copy the content to save as a word document
that is, the linked info are the contents of your irtemplate but there is no file with extension .irtemplate to be downloaded