Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Some more Carnival shots and....
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:40 pm    Post subject: Some more Carnival shots and.... Reply with quote

....then I will stop to boring you with carnival Very Happy :
1/

2/ Very Elegant Laughing :

3/

4/

5/

6/

7/

8/

9/

10/

11/

12/

13/

14/

15/ Typical Dutch Very Happy :

16/

The End Very Happy ....
Thanks for looking!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice completion! You have some great street portraits here. Love the ladies in #10 #11. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Orio.....I was sure that you wil appreciate the #10 Rolling Eyes ...
And an other one special dedicated for you because I know you like nice ladies:

Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pich900 wrote:
Thanks Orio.....I was sure that you wil appreciate the #10 Rolling Eyes ...
And an other one special dedicated for you because I know you like nice ladies:
Laughing

Laughing Laughing

This one is more my size Laughing Sad

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

it was not my intention of course Embarassed ....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pich900 wrote:
Orio wrote:

it was not my intention of course Embarassed ....

yes, I know Smile

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

yes, I know Smile

Ok Very Happy ...and above that can this lady also strangle a pork with her only hands Laughing !......

And above jokes, I would like to thank you again to visit my thread, according to the number of comments, it seems that my carnavale pictures are quite boring for the rest of the MF members Confused ...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pich900 wrote:
Orio wrote:

yes, I know Smile

Ok Very Happy ...and above that can this lady also strangle a pork with her only hands Laughing !......

It's possible, yes! Laughing but she must practice, you need strong arms for that not just love handles Laughing

pich900 wrote:
And above jokes, I would like to thank you again to visit my thread, according to the number of comments, it seems that my carnavale pictures are quite boring for the rest of the MF members Confused ...

Oh, you should not mind the number of comments. I don't. Often my picture threads remain with zero comments. And sometimes, I get a lot of comments on pictures that I think do not deserve them.
I don't really expect comments when I post. I post to share the photos with my friends Smile

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Oh, you should not mind the number of comments. I don't. Often my picture threads remain with zero comments. And sometimes, I get a lot of comments on pictures that I think do not deserve them.
I don't really expect comments when I post. I post to share the photos with my friends Smile

Normally I also don't realy mind and like you said, the most important is to share....but this time, I have the feeling that I share only (or almost only) with myself Laughing .......

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pich900 wrote:

it seems that my carnavale pictures are quite boring for the rest of the MF members Confused ...

Not for me, but I'm amazed that in Holland and Italy you have carnivals in winter. In the UK the big carnival is Caribbean in about August erm where many of the locals, living in the area, go away for the weekend away from the noise, crowds and closed roads Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks "excalibur" Very Happy ....
and to answer your question, the origine of the Carnival is Catholic but for most of the peoples (included myself Very Happy ), it's above that a good reason to have fun with family and friends, see also this link: http://translate.google.nl/translate?hl=nl&sl=en&tl=nl&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.holland.com%2Fglobal%2Factivities%2Fevents%2Fmarch2011%2Fcarnival.jsp&anno=2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the origin of the Carnival is much older than Catholic.

In ancient Babylon, Greece, and Rome, there was the institutionalization of what became today's Carnival. Carnival was born as a rite of passage. Ancient societies had their social life organized around a series of personal moments of passage: the birth, the puberty, the marriage, the death. Each of these passages had it's rites. Some of these rites of passage remain today (what is a funeral after all?). We maybe lost some (puberty is not anymore celebrated in most western cultures), but we got new ones, like the celebration for the university degree.

But there were also collective rites of passage. They were related to the myth of the Eternal Return, and linked to the times of the seasons.
In Babylon, at the Spring Equinox, there was the theatrical representation of the birth of the Universe, with the fight between the god and the drake.
In ancient Greece there were the Antesteries: there was the procession of a chariot that had to restore the Cosmos after the return to the primordial Chaos.
In ancient Rome, there were the Saturnalia, celebrations made at the end of the Winter, to calm down the gods Saturn and Pluto, who were believed to surface to the Earth during the Winter, bringing cold, death and desolation. The offers to them made in the Saturnalia were to convince them to return to the underground and allow the world to renew and the Age of Gold to come back again.
During the Saturnalia, the social classes were turned upside down, the slaves could pretend to be free men and they would elect a Princeps for all the duration of the Saturnalia.
But in all European cultures, the period of the end of the Winter was considered a period of purification, with offers, sacrifices, and rites, like that of burning the wood of the winter.

So as you can see, we already had all the elements of today's Carnevale: we had the chariot in parade, we had the costumes and the plays, we had social "revolutionary" concept and the possibility to mock the powers that be without being punished, we had the prince of the Carnival (today it's often a queen) and we had the ritual burning (in the traditional carnivals in Italy at the end of the carnival a bunch of straw and dry twigs -called paglione- is still burned today)

And the above also explains why the carnival happens in this time of the year: it's not a strange thing, it's the proper time of the year, the end of the Winter and the coming of Spring. The carnival is the rite of passage that celebrates the passage from the Winter to the Spring.

With the Christian religion, the Carnival time was linked to the time of Easter: for this reason, it's not celebrated anymore at the Spring Equinox, but it's celebrated 40 days before Easter, and since Easter time shifts, so now does the Carnival.
But it's worth to mention that neither celebrations (neither Carnival nor the Easter) are Christian in origin. The Christian religion did just "steal" them and adapted them to it's liturgy. Which shows how strong the ancestral popular beliefs and rites were: Christianity was not able to defeat them, it could not make people stop celebrating them. So it had to adapt to them. The only real thing that Christianity added was the name: Carnevale is Latin "carne vale" (goodbye flesh), because at the end it start the period of penitence, the Lent, during which if you are a proper Christian you are not supposed to eat meat.

Fascinating story, eh? Smile
The world of today has this big shortcoming: it tends to ignore the traditions as something old and which has to be overcome for the sake of progress. This is the mentality of today. So it's not surprising that to many persons today the Carnival looks just like another costume party.
But it's not. It's one of the most ancient rites surviving today. Probably the most ancient of all. Much, much more ancient than Christian Mass. The carnival has got holiness, and has roots in the dawn of man. Just think of Stonehenge: a big temple, erected with accurate precision following the course of the Sun. We don't know much about those times, but one thing is sure, they celebrated all the Sun's passages with rites. Why else build a temple?

Oh by the way... HAPPY MARDI GRAS EVERYBODY! Very Happy
_

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pich900 wrote:
Thanks "excalibur" Very Happy ....
and to answer your question, the origine of the Carnival is Catholic but for most of the peoples (included myself Very Happy ), it's above that a good reason to have fun with family and friends, see also this link: http://translate.google.nl/translate?hl=nl&sl=en&tl=nl&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.holland.com%2Fglobal%2Factivities%2Fevents%2Fmarch2011%2Fcarnival.jsp&anno=2

Sounds great, but with our Notting hill carnival:- 5 people have been murdered since 1987, many stabbings, robberies, riots and treating resident's front gardens as toilets...I wouldn't go to this one, so no photos from me.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, you are a real encyclopaedia Shocked ....Thanks a lot for this fascinating story about the carnival, I have learn something today Very Happy ....

@ Excalibur: that's a sad story Sad ! I must say that here peoples (and especially the young peoples/teenagers) drinks probably too much alcohol during the carnival! That's for sure a mint punt but except that fact, I must say that it's stay a great and convivial celebration, at least as a spectator and to take some colourful pictures as well Rolling Eyes .....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's it's only a moment of joy and a feast for the families, where everybody takes part, the children and the old ones as well.
I don't remember a single episode of violence or vandalism to have happened, ever.
In the show there are organized sets of people who build the chariots and prepare choreographies (all for free), but the public is not a spectator.
Everybody takes part, the casual people always mixes in with the organized groups, and in the end of the day the different groups mix and everybody dances and make jokes together.
I don't know of any other public event here that mixes different generations and can create a common feeling, more than this.
Everybody is always welcome and people is friendly and smiles at you even if you are perfect strangers. There is really a hearty feeling.
I love this very much, I don't know if this shows from my photos but I hope so.
I really love these days and when they are over, this always makes me sad. It makes me sad to think that I have to wait another year for it to happen again.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pich900 wrote:

@ Excalibur: that's a sad story Sad ! I must say that here peoples (and especially the young peoples/teenagers) drinks probably too much alcohol during the carnival! That's for sure a mint punt but except that fact, I must say that it's stay a great and convivial celebration, at least as a spectator and to take some colourful pictures as well Rolling Eyes .....

But we do have something historical in London and more "pomp and circumstance" for the indigenous natives and it's the "the lord mayor's show", procession every year from 1189. Cool

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like opening an issue of National Geographic, superb work, Orio!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:

Thanks Bill, but the photos here are Pich's, merit goes to him.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Katastrofo wrote:

Oh geez, you're right! Embarassed So reminiscent of your style, my bad. BTW,
Pich, that is a compliment!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cute photos! Very Happy
Beautiful portraits, but I also like # 6 and # 12 for the 3D look.....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Orio wrote:
Katastrofo wrote:

Oh geez, you're right! Embarassed So reminiscent of your style, my bad. BTW,
Pich, that is a compliment!

No problem Wink ...I think Orio merit also your compliment, he is the Carnival master from this forum Very Happy ...
Anyway, thanks for your very kind word, I don't think I merit that but I must say that I'm very touched with your compliment Embarassed ...

danikatia wrote:
Cute photos! Very Happy
Beautiful portraits, but I also like # 6 and # 12 for the 3D look.....

Thanks also for your nice comment Very Happy ...