Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Som Berthiot Flor 3.5/105 off an old folder
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:31 pm    Post subject: Som Berthiot Flor 3.5/105 off an old folder Reply with quote

Got this pretty large and heavy lens on Sito shutter already stripped off an old folder. I've found the closest relative of this lens in ebay sitting on Royer folder rangefinders. My copy is slightly different in design, having a "classic" distance scale on the lens' side, and not on the front as it is the case of the rangefinders' version. So this one was most probably attached to a superior model of Kinax or Royer having no rangefinder.

Here follow some quick shots from the lens put on bellows and attached to a Sony Nex, in a gray rainy day. I was expecting some possible ("vintage") glow or special bokeh softness WO. Not from this lens, at least not in the first test under gloomy conditions. Just an excellent glass irrespective of its age.

All shots are taken WO, with autocontrast applied.

#1 Long distance

#3 A 100% crop from the previous, no PP

#4 Midrange

#5 Close up + close bokeh

#6 Distant bokeh

#7 Transition to OOF

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, fellows!

Here are some more close-ups in better light:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
Thank you, fellows!

Here are some more close-ups in better light:

Like 1

Great shots - this one is very beautiful. I feel like the rendering works extremely well here.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 great colors. Something the designers were not looking at I imagine.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Like 1 great colors. Something the designers were not looking at I imagine.

I agree.
Rendering beautiful pastels with light saturation is often missing from our modern lenses - which have higher contrast and finer detail.
It is one of the reasons that I like the earlier Komuras.
Delightful rendering - congratulations
Tom

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple.joy, Jamaeolus, Oldhand, thank you! That's a real pleasure to have such a detailed feedback and to look back at the snapshots with a more attentive eye.

I was wondering the optic design of the lens giving such smooth transitions from in-focus to OOF areas, which looks a bit different from Tessar which is usually harsher. In a meticulous study of LF SOM Berthiot Dan Fromm states that LF Flor lenses were probably 5-element Tessar-like ones, while MF and SF were 4-element Tessar-like ones. I tried counting reflexions in mine and found 4 pairs of colour and well separated reflexions and than one really small deeper, kind of attached to or hiding behind the previous one. This hints there could be a rear doublet, but I was never sure to master well the art of counting reflexions.

Here is one more sample of transitions to OOF the lens renders

As for colours, autocontrast does magic, extending the DR to a kind of "organic" film feeling while deepening the overall contrast. With many lenses the trick does not work well, changing natural colours or washing out the picture. Som Berthiot (this one and others I tested from this mark) usually stand autocontrast adjustment very well.

Meanwhile, a part of the DR is in some way hidden in the SOOC jpg and needs to be "developped" or revealed. To give an idea, here is one of the previous images before autocontrst was applied. Even though colours are less striking, their general balance remains pleasing to my taste. What would you say?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more open air shots in a good natural light

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catching rarely a red stray beam, like in the previous #6, the lens generally stands pretty well direct and lateral sun light.

It also has an appealing balanced colour rendering, such as blue, green and yellow in the same frame none of which seems shifted.