Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Solving focus ring play in Tamron 17A 35-70 f/3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Solving focus ring play in Tamron 17A 35-70 f/3.5 Reply with quote

My copy of the Tamron 17A had some play in the focus ring (1mm back and forth and rotational),
I just dug it up again due to some renewed interest in the forum Smile .

And I think I managed to solve the issue, so for any future people with the same issue:
All that is needed is a very tiny flathead screwdriver.

Just slip off the rubber of the focus ring (towards the front of the lens, and pray it has not become brittle).
Then you will see some larger holes and in between the holes some small screws,
near the ridge at the front of the focus ring which holds the rubber in place.
If you slightly tighten these screws (carefully, the screws are fragile, so not too much force!) the play should be gone.
Do take care that the ring is in the correct place (no gap between the focus ring and the front name plate, which you should see changing size when there is still play),
I don't know whether you could possibly screw them inside the lens if you are not carefull with this last part, so caution is advised there.
Then slip the rubber back on and presto, a play free lense!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: is 01A the same? Reply with quote

My 17A is fine, but on my Tamron Adaptall 01A (35-80mm) there is a slight backwards/forwards play in the focus ring.
Where focus rotation is concerned, the ring moves very lightly but there is no noticeable free play.
The mechanical designs of the 17A and 01A seem to be closely related....
Has anyone done a tightening as described in the original post, on a Tamron 01A?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Norland, I didn't read whole post, but I solve the problem of focus play that you described on 01A.
1) Take off the rubber grip of the focus ring.
2) Tighten really small flat headed screws that are underneath the rubber grip (there's 4 or 5 of them just near the front end of the lens).
3) Put the rubber in place and feel smug and happy of being professional repairman Wink.

Mateusz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is certainly the case that 01A and 17a are strongly related. You can see that from the optical diagrams, and both are two rings with the mechanical connection that auto rotates the zoom when focussing into macro.

My 17A is near mint, but this one of my 01A's is in a sad way. The slack in the mechanics is such that in the worst position around the middle of both the zoom and focus ranges the to-fro movement in the focus assembly is about 5mm/ 1/4". I've looked at the lens a number of times but its clear the problem is internal and this is not an easy lens to get into. In the pic you can see the collar under the edge of the focus with a slot visible right by the white focus line on the barrel to engage a tool to unscrew. I intend to improvise this and have a more determined look ...
On another 01A I had good success tightening screws under the rubber on the zoom ring to fix play in that.
Those grub screws you mention mateusz, to me they seem to be just normal locking screws for the front element(s), nothing to do with the focus...
ymmot; grub screws are the only screws visible on my 17A, no holes nothing (but there are variants of this lens see adaptall-2.org)