Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Soligor MC 200mm F/2.8 - Optical Formula [non C/D version]
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Soligor MC 200mm F/2.8 - Optical Formula [non C/D version] Reply with quote

Does anyone know optical formula for this lens? Perhaps anyone has a scan of the original box (from what i know soligor was pretty notorious about printing optical formulas on the box)?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be the one.
OH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
This might be the one.
OH

Yes!!! Spot on. Thanks Oldhand, greatly appreciated.

Another question, if you don't mind? Is resolving power real poor wide open with your copy?
Mine can't seem resolve anything right at any distance, and only center seems to be somewhat sharp-ish while edges are completely blurred out. My assumption - incorrect assembly or element shift (hence the need for formula diagram)...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jvg wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
This might be the one.
OH

Yes!!! Spot on. Thanks Oldhand, greatly appreciated.

Another question, if you don't mind? Is resolving power real poor wide open with your copy?
Mine can't seem resolve anything right at any distance, and only center seems to be somewhat sharp-ish while edges are completely blurred out. My assumption - incorrect assembly or element shift (hence the need for formula diagram)...

Ahh, sorry, I do not have this lens.
It is listed for sale over on the Pentax forum.
http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/265494-sale-soligor-200mm-f2-8-prime-telephoto-pk-mount-reduced.html#post2851345

OH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New purchase? I own one but don't have it yet. Maybe another 4-6 weeks.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:

4-6 weeks? Did you purchase from Mongolia? Smile

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenetik wrote:
woodrim wrote:

4-6 weeks? Did you purchase from Mongolia? Smile

Close. Poland Smile I have a friend there that collects them for me, then ships when he has no more room on his shelf.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:

Ahh, sorry, I do not have this lens.
It is listed for sale over on the Pentax forum.
http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/265494-sale-soligor-200mm-f2-8-prime-telephoto-pk-mount-reduced.html#post2851345

OH

It's allright. You still did me a great favor though. So thanks anyways.

I guess i can disassemble the lens and compare element arrangement to the picture you provided to figure out what's wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like two images are symmetrical; does it matter which way they face? The others will be obvious if they are in wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
It looks like two images are symmetrical; does it matter which way they face? The others will be obvious if they are in wrong.

You mean two front elements?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, two front.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Yes, two front.

Just opened the lens, and the front element is not symmetrical at all. It's biconvex all right, but one side (the front) is more pronounced than the other. So flipping sides won't work. I was able to figure out the problem, the spacer ring between 2nd and 3rd element was placed incorrectly and had fallen around the 3rd element. So removing the spacer ring and putting it other side in - was all that was needed to fix the problem. Obviously lens was opened before, not sure for what reasons, but incorrectly placed spacer ring, smudges on the lens elements (possibly from grease) and even small chip on the edge of the 3rd element - all these make me believe that someone butchered otherwise fine piece of optics. What a shame. Sad

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But is okay now, right? I look forward to see some images from you.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
But is okay now, right? I look forward to see some images from you.

Me too.
And also from you in due course woodrim ............. Very Happy
OH

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same lens, branded as Summatech:

I never took my lens apart to check for incorrect reassembly (perhaps I should have) but the results were very poor wide open. It was as if it never hit focus. I would see when I had focused past my intended target (as the image went progressivley softer), but when going back, I would only notice when I had gone too far in that direction...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
This might be the one.
OH

this is a Golden/Series (g/s) lens made by sun
As most of sun lenses at that period : poor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PBFACTS wrote:

Can you point us to something that will provide information on those lenses? I am not familiar with Golden Series and only get eyeglasses when searching.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
PBFACTS wrote:

Can you point us to something that will provide information on those lenses? I am not familiar with Golden Series and only get eyeglasses when searching.

The g/s includes
24/2.5 (sun)
28/2.5 (sun)
135/2.5 (sun)
200/2.8 (sun)
35/140 (sun).. The WORST lens sold !
70/160 3.5 (Tefnon I presume)
70/222 3.5 (tokina I presume)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PBFACTS wrote:
woodrim wrote:
PBFACTS wrote:

The g/s includes
24/2.5 (sun)
28/2.5 (sun)
135/2.5 (sun)
200/2.8 (sun)

do they say g/s on the front of the lens, or does it have something to do with marketing/color of the box?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenetik wrote:
PBFACTS wrote:
woodrim wrote:
PBFACTS wrote:

The g/s includes
24/2.5 (sun)
28/2.5 (sun)
135/2.5 (sun)
200/2.8 (sun)
300/4.5 (sun)
400/5.6 (sun)

do they say g/s on the front of the lens, or does it have something to do with marketing/color of the box?

i have to search but as far i can remember : the answer is NOT on front of lens (perhaps on the stop ring ?)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There does not appear to be anything on my stop ring as far as I can see from pictures. When I was searching around for info, I noticed that there were at least two different prefixes for serial numbers: 37 and 38(mine). I know they didn't use the same convention as Vivitar, but doesn't that suggest different manufacturers?

I have experienced with other lenses what sceptic reported about focusing. With lenses like this it is important to have good focusing aids.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
There does not appear to be anything on my stop ring as far as I can see from pictures. When I was searching around for info, I noticed that there were at least two different prefixes for serial numbers: 37 and 38(mine). I know they didn't use the same convention as Vivitar, but doesn't that suggest different manufacturers?

I have experienced with other lenses what sceptic reported about focusing. With lenses like this it is important to have good focusing aids.

I think that the current consensus is that Soligors commencing with a 3XXXX... prefix are from SUN, except maybe 31XXXXX.... which might be from someone else. So 37XXXXX and 38XXXXX would both be from SUN.
37XXX.... Vivitars are normally Tokina of course
OH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
woodrim wrote:

I think that the current consensus is that Soligors commencing with a 3XXXX... prefix are from SUN, except maybe 31XXXXX.... which might be from someone else. So 37XXXXX and 38XXXXX would both be from SUN.
OH

Aha. So they may have had a convention after all.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
woodrim wrote:

OH

Aha. So they may have had a convention after all.

Yes, it is a work in progress, but lots of experience. discussion and model matching has come up with this so far:

Updated list

Soligor Codes

1 = Tokina
2 = Sun
3 = Sun
4 = Sun
5 = ???
6 = Komine
7 = Sun
8 = ???
9 = Kiron/Kino or maybe Kobori ?
31 = ??? *
A = Komura #
H4 = Kawanon ? #
H5 = Komine #
H6 = Komine #
H7= Tokina #
H37 = Kawanon? #
M = ??? #
N = ??? #
R = ??? #
T = Tamron #
Y = Komura #

Code system. First number = Maker.
Second number = Decade
Third number = Year

*Six digit lens date code unknown.

# Letter code lens date code unknown.

..... DISCLAMER THIS IS A WORKING LIST......
..... IT MAY CHANGE AS NEW EVIDENCE IS FOUND.....

See:

http://forum.mflenses.com/soligor-12-8-f28mm-21and-versions-t30866,start,180.html

To add to that, I have a Soligor 3.3/200 with serial 35XXXX.. which is, by consensus, made by Makinon ....... so .......... there is more yet to discover
OH

Last edited by Oldhand on Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no unified Soligor convention that would hold throughout all time. There are at least two systems, more possibly three. C/D is one of them.