Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Soligor(?) LTM 105mm f4 on EPL1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Soligor(?) LTM 105mm f4 on EPL1 Reply with quote

I bought this lens whilst looking for something different for the Cheap Lens Challenge, It was just above the price limit for that though. The name ring says it is a Soligor, but it is a very lose fit in the front thread of the lens (which is 43mm). In fact, it has to be part screwed and part pushed in. As such, it is hard to get off again, which is why I have not refitted it. There is no obvious damage to the name ring thread, so I wonder if it is really from this lens. Can anyone identify the maker of this lens?

Anyway, the lens is not fast at f4 max aperture. The aperture control ring rotates with the focus and the clicks are so firm that it is almost impossible to change the aperture without changing the focus.

Fortunately, it is pretty sharp at f4. The only problem is it does produce some really dreary and flat colours. The flower shots are all unprocessed. The last shot was so dull I did a quick levels adjustment.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad.
Is this a preset aperture lens ?
It looks quite as a Soligor to my eyes.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
Not bad.

Yes, not bad, but not especially good either!Laughing

Olivier wrote:
Is this a preset aperture lens ?

No, just a normal manual aperture (10 blades).

Olivier wrote:
It looks quite as a Soligor to my eyes.

Thanks for that info. The thread on the name ring is probably damaged then.

Mark

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: You Lucky bugger! Reply with quote

Wow! What a bargain! Lovely lens...... good pics.

Soooo cheap Laughing

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont know mark, i kinda like it. i think its very sharp and seems to render texture nicely as well. it may be a little flat, but i like it overall. i am struck by how much more i like how olly handles highlights over the nex...

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw some camera comparisons and was impressed by the E-PL1 and E-PL2 results compared to smaller sensor sized cameras like the Canon S95 or G12, or the Olympus XZ-1.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
i dont know mark, i kinda like it. i think its very sharp and seems to render texture nicely as well. it may be a little flat, but i like it overall.

Yes, I was surprised how sharp it is wide open. The flower shots were taken with mixed sun and shade, and this helps to give some dynamic range to the pictures. The sign picture was in the open in strong sun and has a very noticeably limited dynamic range. The lens is probably only single coated which won't help. The front element has a modest sized scratch would could also increase the scattered light a bit. Incidentally, I also think it is a genuine triplet. When I took it apart, it did not look like any of the three elements were doublets.

rbelyell wrote:
i am struck by how much more i like how olly handles highlights over the nex...

Well, a lens that flattens the dynamic range does help in preserving highlights. Also, as a dedicated Oly user, I am used to shooting with a 1/3 or 2/3 EV reduction in exposure to help stop highlights blowing out. Laughing Actually, I think the EPL1 is pretty good in this respect (better than the E3).

Mark

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: You Lucky bugger! Reply with quote

pat donnelly wrote:
Wow! What a bargain! Lovely lens...... good pics.

Soooo cheap Laughing

The actual cost was £6.11 plus £2.50 shipping, so pretty cheap yes!

Always worth trying something different when it costs so little. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
I saw some camera comparisons and was impressed by the E-PL1 and E-PL2 results compared to smaller sensor sized cameras like the Canon S95 or G12, or the Olympus XZ-1.

I think the image quality of the EPL1 is really good and it is also a very nice camera to use. Of course, one has a right to expect it to perform better than a camera with a compact sensor.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably a komura lens Wink

Nice find for that price Very Happy