Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Soligor Auto-Exakta 135/2.8 - 1950's quality
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:58 am    Post subject: Soligor Auto-Exakta 135/2.8 - 1950's quality Reply with quote

Member Voytek very kindly gave me this beauty -

Its a VERY heavy piece. It must be either solid brass or solid glass, and it is certainly of a very high-quality build, everything thats not enameled brass is chrome brass - on the inside !

I have no idea who made it, though I may have seen similar lenses made for early Miranda cameras - which still doesn't identify the maker. I have never seen one like this in Exakta mount before.

It was made specifically for Exakta, with no apparent provision for easy adaptation to other early auto lens mounts like Nikon - the aperture ring in the front gives this away; since most of even the earliest third party lenses were made with provisions to make versions for multiple mounts, I think this one pre-existed all these other auto mounts, and therefore was made when there was only one, Exakta.

I mounted it on one of my Exakta-PK adapters. Since the Exakta arm is fairly bulky on this one, it interferes with my Pentax DSLR overhang even more than usual, so it ended up in a strange orientation, as seen. I haven't opened it up yet to change the focus, so infinity is still about 25 feet/8 meters.

As a DSLR lens these Exakta automatics are surprisingly useful. The button stops the lens down like a preset ring, but much more quickly and conveniently, its quick and easy to stop down immediately before taking a picture. Combined with the ability to use AV modes on Pentax, its almost as handy as a PK/A mount. Great for macro in the field I think.

Performance is very surprisingly good. This is a sharp lens wide open, which is not common even on 135's from two decades later. I can't say yet whether its as sharp at infinity as close-up, but I will find out eventually. No flare, high contrast, no CA, little or no fringing that I can see. A high quality lens.

Some sample taken using an extension ring. Its a very nice lens for macro.

GIMP GEGL BW conversion of an underexposed shot - an interesting trick to try to rescue an otherwise hopeless picture.

The bird -

crop -

" target="_blank">Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Soligor Auto-Exakta 135/2.8 - 1950's quality Reply with quote

Thanks so much for sharing. Nice quality lens.

luisalegria wrote:

I mounted it on one of my Exakta-PK adapters. Since the Exakta arm is fairly bulky on this one, it interferes with my Pentax DSLR overhang even more than usual, so it ended up in a strange orientation, as seen. I haven't opened it up yet to change the focus, so infinity is still about 25 feet/8 meters.

I am specially interested to know about your Exakta-PK adapter, never came across one in the bay. Have seen M42 to Exakta adapters though. You have also mentioned about opening the Exakta arm and adjusting for infinity. Help on how to do that would be great.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I found this out....

http://forum.mflenses.com/exakta-pentax-k-adapter-t9009,highlight,exakta+pentax+adapter.html

Guess this is the one Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's an old post. Very Happy

But I can't resist to revive it as I find Luis samples so great.

This lens is definitely very good, and many lenses are in Luis' hands.
Thank you for your pictures. They are inspiration to me.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rare lens made by Kowa who made the original series of Miranda lenses (of which thisis part). I have had the 1.9/50 of that series and it oozed quality, sadly they are all hard to find, I have seen the 1.98/50 only twice.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

based on the styling, this lens looks like the late 1960's, not the 1950's.
Are you all sure about the vintage?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it looks 1950s, you're a decade out on your interpretation of the styling.

Here is the Miranda 1.9/50 made by Kowa, the similarity of styling i clear:

Later version, also made by Kowa, same lens, slightly different styling:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess will be late 50s or very early 60s Surprised

Really nice lens, never seen this before and the samples are impressive Surprised

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody.
I guess the thing may be Kowa after all.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Japanese Miranda site

http://miranda.s32.xrea.com/miranda/MSJ_html/lens/telephoto-lens2.html

Says these were advertised in Miranda PAD mount 1957-1960

They were also advertised as Prominar, which was a Kowa house brand, so that pretty well established the maker I think.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful images indeed Surprised