Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

soligor 80-200/4.5 nikon AI-S
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: soligor 80-200/4.5 nikon AI-S Reply with quote

just bought it for 19€ + 14€ shipping... is it any good?
any experience?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be the same as one I have, in PK mount. Is yours the C/D ? That was the Soligor premium line in the late 1970's.

http://forum.mflenses.com/soligor-c-d-80-200-4-5-pk-competition-for-vivitar-series-1-t10528,highlight,soligor+80200.html

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a CD lens good as any Tamron SP zoom.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes it's a C/D lens

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

today I got this lens... it's in excellent condition, unfortunately the aperture mechanism is detached so the iris doesn't work... got to fix this later

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

despite the rainy weather I managed to take some test shots
ISO800, 1/125, f4.5

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked one up at a local store for 20€. On a Nikon D700 it's not shabby at all, at least when stopped down a bit (unsurprisingly it performs better at 80mm than at the 200mm setting).

The only two real issues I think: somewhat hefty (visible in normal everyday shots) pincusion distortion at 200mm (on full frame/film atleast) that makes architecture or say a seascape a wavy affair (suppose it can be corrected to some extent in postprocessing). Shoot something else than horizontal lines and you're OK.

The second thing is an odd flare that shows up when the sun is in the frame or nearby, I'm guessing that the edges of a glass element is not blacked as it ought to be and this cause the reflection (similar to the 2nd example image in this thread: http://forum.mflenses.com/odd-but-beautiful-lens-flares-t20385.html but more pronounced). That pretty much rules out shots into the sun and makes even a shallow lens hood useful. It could be that this is less an issue with film (no shiny sensor).

I'll have a go later and compare mine with a pre-AI Nikon 80-200 f/4.5 on my wife's D3000. All in all not a bad lens, especially for the price (and now that 55mm filters are my third most common size I'd rate it one notch higher just because of that).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NikonD wrote:
today I got this lens... it's in excellent condition, unfortunately the aperture mechanism is detached so the iris doesn't work... got to fix this later

I have a very similar lens to this, except that on mine, the f stops are in reverse order to yours (4.5 on the left, 22 on right), and the long number on the lens face is different. I originally used it on a Yashica 35mm film camera received as a gift in 1980. I bought the lens in 1982. Now I've gotten back into photography, and want to find out what DSLR this lens will fit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BruceS63 wrote:
NikonD wrote:

I have a very similar lens to this, except that on mine, the f stops are in reverse order to yours (4.5 on the left, 22 on right), and the long number on the lens face is different. I originally used it on a Yashica 35mm film camera received as a gift in 1980. I bought the lens in 1982. Now I've gotten back into photography, and want to find out what DSLR this lens will fit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only experience with Soligor was an 85-300 I bought new back in the mid-80s. It looked like this one:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3071/2834924194_c7ebd34eab.jpg?v=0

To me it was just an OK performer. I replaced it with a Tamron SP 60-300 f/3.8-5.4 and liked the Tamron a lot better.