Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Soligor 35mm f2.8 sold on Ebay for £81!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Soligor 35mm f2.8 sold on Ebay for £81! Reply with quote

Hi
Can anyone explain why this lens made £81!
Is there something super special about this or has somebody gone crazy?
Cheers

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330887757647?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm 99.9% certain that that lens will be average at best, probably mediocre. Why it went for that is beyond me, it's about 25x what it's worth imho.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple , shill bidding, always look bid history, last valid bid was 20 UKP , this lens usually not get sold or for a few UKP.
Price is inflated by seller.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the OP, were you looking for a 35mm lens?

If so, forget all the third party ones, I must have tried 7 or 8 and they were all less than good.

There are plenty of good ones from the major makers cheap, if your camera can use them, the Konica and Minolta 2.8/35s are both great. The Canon FL 2.5/35 is superb and really cheap, need patience to find one. The later Canon FD 2/35 is even better but expensive because everyone knows how good it is.

One standout 35mm that is really top level but ignored because it's 'slow' is the Meyer Primagon 4.5/35, can be had for less then 40ukp and is a stunning lens.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tokina auto lens, this one in fixed mount, but usually seen in T4.
Its not a bad lens at all.
Possibly the best of the Tokinas in this series and way better than most third party wide angles.
But the price is silly.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens has a good reputation. It was the OEM 35mm for Mamiya and Ricoh, possibly others. The Mamiya badged version got kudos in Ivor Matanle's Collecting And Using Classic SLRs.

Still, 81 pounds is a good bit over the top IMHO.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one in MD and one in M42. I'm a happy bunny if they get those kind of prices! Very Happy But, it's a lens I like a lot and would rather keep.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

while it appears to be in nice shape, its still only a soligor and its not even multicoated. Somebody paid way too much for that one....

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, first of all, it is a beautiful lens and I surely wish it were mine. I do own the two Hexanon 35s, one of each, but they work only on my mirrorless camera. This Soligor would be a go for my SLR.

The bidding appears to be a shootout between two crazy contenders with more money, perhaps, than brains. I dunno.

The value of any lens is set by how much a ready, willing, and able party is willing to pay. In this instance we witness two parties, each with similar thinking as to the value of this lens. Shill bidders, if they win by accident, must pay eBay costs or cancel the auction and risk discovery. So maybe this is just two crazy bidders with stars in their eyes.

One thought I can state with assurance: Here in the USA, MF lens prices are up and continue to rise. For me it has reached the point of frustration, as I simply refuse to pay the apparently inflated prices. My reward recently for this reticence is that fewer new lenses are coming in all the time. Pretty soon I'm going to need a new hobby. Sad

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guardian wrote:
Well, first of all, it is a beautiful lens and I surely wish it were mine. I do own the two Hexanon 35s, one of each, but they work only on my mirrorless camera. This Soligor would be a go for my SLR.

The bidding appears to be a shootout between two crazy contenders with more money, perhaps, than brains. I dunno.

The value of any lens is set by how much a ready, willing, and able party is willing to pay. In this instance we witness two parties, each with similar thinking as to the value of this lens. Shill bidders, if they win by accident, must pay eBay costs or cancel the auction and risk discovery. So maybe this is just two crazy bidders with stars in their eyes.

One thought I can state with assurance: Here in the USA, MF lens prices are up and continue to rise. For me it has reached the point of frustration, as I simply refuse to pay the apparently inflated prices. My reward recently for this reticence is that fewer new lenses are coming in all the time. Pretty soon I'm going to need a new hobby. Sad

Patient is very important if you do not want to play inflated prices. It is still possible to find good price for common items and some uncommon items like those in "biggest-bargains" thread.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up two similar looking Soligors from a car boot, one a 35mm f2.8 and the other 35mm f3.5, both were crap and went on ebay where they fetched about £4-5 each, so considering what you could buy for £81 I'm afraid someone will be disapointed with their new purchase

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted this because I had it bookmarked and thought it was worth a punt for a tenner or less. I forgot about it and when checking my ebay was astounded to see the price it raised. Maybe it was shill bidded but it needed another person to party with. Still doesn't make sense considering they could have waited a day or two and got one for single figures.
I do have a few 35mm's but no Soligors' and it might have been fun but I'll bide my time. I guess some Soligors are better than others, just need to know who made them and do some MFLenses research before hand.
I've also seen a Minolta 35 1.8 which is coming up for sale locally soon so I'll see what the price for that is as it'll certainly be better.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Braddanman wrote:
I posted this because I had it bookmarked and thought it was worth a punt for a tenner or less. I forgot about it and when checking my ebay was astounded to see the price it raised. Maybe it was shill bidded but it needed another person to party with. Still doesn't make sense considering they could have waited a day or two and got one for single figures.
I do have a few 35mm's but no Soligors' and it might have been fun but I'll bide my time. I guess some Soligors are better than others, just need to know who made them and do some MFLenses research before hand.
I've also seen a Minolta 35 1.8 which is coming up for sale locally soon so I'll see what the price for that is as it'll certainly be better.

Should be something expensive. I must say that i compared that lens, in mc and md versions, with the 2,8 in mc and md ones and with the 2/45 minolta lens. Only one thing.........at f/8, the 2/45 was better than any 35mm lens of the comparison team.
beleve it or not.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vividly presented with nice sample photos (by: astra4646): Click here to see on Ebay

I have a version with chromed top, DOF and mount. I like it a lot. Not a cheap production for sure.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, I've seen this lens go for peanuts of quite silly money, but never that high.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Tokina auto lens, this one in fixed mount, but usually seen in T4.
Its not a bad lens at all.
Possibly the best of the Tokinas in this series and way better than most third party wide angles.
But the price is silly.

+1

Soligor makers are many.

The serial number beginning "1" is Tokina-made. The next two digits are the year, 1973. This is last Tokina version, with fixed mount. The next-to-last version has T4 mount. Both have 52mm filter rings.

For some reason, the Tokina-made Soligors are fetching higher prices now. They are quality lenses, imho.