Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Soligor 35mm - assembled correctly?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject: Soligor 35mm - assembled correctly? Reply with quote

Hi all,

Just received this off fleabay. All rings are a bit sloppy. Has T-mount M42 thread, but will go nowhere near infinity focus when screwed all the way into my EOS adapter. If I leave about a 2mm gap then infinity is fine. Looking at the lens, the focus ring encroaches an awfully long way over the register markings and there seems to be a seperate (brass?) ring of around the right thickness which is currently between the aperture control rings. Has anyone got one of these lenses? If so, is mine assembled correctly do you know?

Front:

Without Adapter

With adapter (and 2mm gap)

Yeah, I know, it's in awful condition, so why do I care Smile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooooooooh, a Soligor with a "KA" serial # prefix! News to me. Very Happy

Before the photos downloaded I was thinking the mount was CS not T; CS has same thread as T, but is thinner, about 2mm. A T-adapter on CS lens acts as a short closeup extension tube which would account for focus cannot reach infinity.

Seeing the photos showing tool marks, the lens has been opened; perhaps was reassembled incorrect, or more likely somebody using T instead of CS adapter has attempted to adjust focusing.

Iirc, if the focus ring screws are loosened, the focus ring can be slid toward the mount end, revealing screws on the aperture O-C ring that can be loosened to slide O<-.->C ring into place over the exposed brass.

I understand the value here lies in the learning; this worn lens is in perfect condition for first time repair. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea regarding year of production ? Seems that this lens could tell a long story.

Wink

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Soligor 35mm - assembled correctly? Reply with quote

martyn_bannister wrote:

Has T-mount M42 thread, but will go nowhere near infinity focus when screwed all the way into my EOS adapter. If I leave about a 2mm gap then infinity is fine.

It could be YS mount, it is about 2mm thicker than T-mount.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolf wrote:
Any idea regarding year of production ? Seems that this lens could tell a long story.
Wink

No ideas from me, that's for sure Smile Must be an expedrt out there who can tell from the seial number etc. Is the SOLIGOR in script, rather than capitals, an early thing or late do you know?

Managed to find a picture of one in slightly better condition Smile This seems to indicate that it is indeed assembled correctly.

http://static.oxfam.com/ProductImages/HighStDonated/6_2009/307504/large_be611dc0559c4bd2ba640de8af525a49.jpg

Time to take it apart I think
Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully someone can get closer on the year. It should be early to mid 1960's. By late 1960's I believe they went to block lettering. Not sure on the exact year. Lenses starting with 6 were Komine made. But I've never seen one starting in the letters KA.
I do believe by the styling clues it is an early Komine lens.

I would of bought that lens just because I've never seen a KA Soligor before.
Hope you can get it working okay. I'm looking foward to some pictures from it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen several of these around, I have been mildly interested in picking one up.

Rather early retrofocus design, check out that rear element way out there. Its also a tiny lens as these things go.

I would guess Komine or Kawanon, outside chance possibly of Itoh.

I would also agree early-mid 1960's.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria and water g, many thanks for the input.

Hmmm.... so the Soligor in script rather than capitals is an early trait you think? Perhaps the KA prefix alludes to KAwanon? Certainly this one's been well used or abused.

The one in the Oxfam shop has the same serial prefix - no surprise really Smile http://www.oxfam.org.uk/shop/productdetails.aspx?catalog=HighStDonated&product=307504&ito=3421

Wish I'd bought that one! The front element on my one is scratched, to say the least. Having taken it apart, I think I have solved the infinity focus issue and will take pictures today to explain.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Disassembled and reassembled Reply with quote

Well, took it apart, cleaned it, re-lubed and adjusted the infinity focus. All seems OK now Smile

http://www.mtbgg.co.uk/Soligor35Page.html for details on how it came apart and went back together.