Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Soligor 135mm 3.5 Komura variant - did I get a lemon?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Soligor 135mm 3.5 Komura variant - did I get a lemon? Reply with quote

Hello all, I hope that you can help me figure out what might be wrong with this lens. I recently purchased it on ebay and am still within the return window. It is the Komura variant, SN A3234 with the chrome bands on the barrel, 15 blades, preset, Exakta mount. Based on reviews here, I have reason to believe it should be a good lens. The seller described it as in excellent condition and CLA'd. Manually inspecting it, the glass looks fine although there are a few particles that catch the light - probably dust, possibly fungus but I don't think so.

The problem is that I can't get a decent picture out of it. It is extremely hard to focus; the focus ring is rather stiff but also has some play in it, as if the lubricant has thickened. There is also a hazy area towards the center of the image. I use a Fuji XE-1 camera body and a generic adapter from Rainbow imaging which works fine on my other Exakta mount lens.

My apologies for the lousy quality of the images below which were taken in my yard. Rest assured, I do know how to focus, even though these might suggest otherwise. These were taken in the early morning, not in direct sunlight, mostly at f. 8-11.

Do you have any idea what might be causing this trouble? If, indeed, the lens was serviced, could it have been reassembled incorrectly?

My inclination is to return it - I'd prefer not to eat the postage both ways as in my opinion, it is not as described. I have other lenses in this focal length that perform and handle much better.

Many thanks!

Last edited by JJB on Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:34 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would rate as most likely possibility that tech who did the CLA work was having a bad day . . or simply was unfamiliar with that particular lens.

Next most likely:

Lens might have been dropped. Is there any indication of (present or past) damage to the lens, e.g. from having been dropped, to include even subtle, difficult to detect, indication of repairs?

Incidentally, a stiff focus ring would indicate to me possibility the lens has not been CLA'd. Just sayin'. And small amounts of dirt, dust, fungus, or even scratches will not mess up your images enough to where it'd be easy to detect. An exception: scratching of or damage to the rear-most element of your lens.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that the guy doing the CLA has flipped one of the elements (turned it backwards when reassembling). That can cause this effect, that nothing ever really comes into focus.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a bad lens, I'd return it. They are common enough and a good one will come along.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Return it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it have a "star" aperture ?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guardian, there is a small scrape on the barrel near the front element but it's not dented. That's the only visible defect I can discern.

Luis, it does not have a star pattern. It looks like an even-sided polygon across the range. I would provide a photo but it is too dark to take a decent one; I can try tomorrow.

To everybody else, thanks for the advice; I will return it. To attempt to repair it sounds like it would be cost prohibitive at best and futile at worst.

In the mean time, I will play with my new-to-me Isco Gottingen 135/3.5. The few test shots I took yesterday look promising.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJB wrote:
I will return it.

I'm pleased to read that. I've had two lenses with exactly the same fault in the past. Does it become worse as the aperture is reduced?
I spent a lot of time trying to improve the first one and came to the conclusion it's something to do with internal reflections, as I could
change the effect with different size hoods, but I couldn't get rid of it altogether or improve the contrast. That was a shame as it was a
nice looking Jupiter 21M I bought from Russia and the return cost wasn't worth sending it, so it still sits on the top shelf. The second one,
a 200mm Soligor similar to yours, was returned straight away.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Soligor 135mm 3.5 Komura variant - did I get a lemon? Reply with quote

The pics you provided are not full-size so it's hard to judge from them, but I'll try.

Pic 1.
Hazy area in the center happens when you shoot against light, yes? I have the same behaviour with Super-Takumar 50/1.4 and a pair of other lenses, and it's just the lens having poor contrast in direct counter light. (The Super-Multi-Coated Takumars are better).
Also, the patterns in photo suggest motion blur. There are no such patterns in other two photos.

Pic 2.
In this size it seems completely normal to me. Maybe just a bit soft, but well within normal limits.

Pic 3.
Same as 2 but there are also hints of motion blur which make the image softer.

is your lens like this?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen this problem on early lenses before, but usually those with wider maximum apertures.
A big lens hood does help, but not all the time.
It may be just a matter of finding where you can point the lens and where you cannot.
A bit limiting I know, but a weakness in early uncoated lenses.
Of course the lens may be just a dog, but you might need to give it more opportunity to be able to tell.
OH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all, I still have some time left in the return window so I will try again under different lighting conditions and maybe try a bigger hood. I have another uncoated lens of this vintage which seems more forgiving but maybe I just need to play with this one some more. If anything changes, I'll let you know.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the telltales for a Komura preset is star shaped aperture.
Could be variants of course.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Soligor 135mm 3.5 Komura variant - did I get a lemon? Reply with quote

nandakoryaaa wrote:

is your lens like this?

That`s Tamron made Wink

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is probably this one:
http://iloapp.new4m.com/data/_gallery/public/224/140338391061933000_resized.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is it. It has 15 blades, preset, Exakta mount. I read somewhere - I think it was on the BIG Soligar thread, that serial numbers beginning with A are believed to be Komura. I have another Soligor lens that begins with H37 that has the star shaped aperture. I believe the speculation is that the H37xxx are by Kawanon. But I'm a novice and you all are experts so I may be completely wrong on all fronts. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody is an expert, we are all speculating on this stuff.

Yeah, this is a considerably earlier lens than the known Komura branded presets with star shaped apertures.
Things may have been different then.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that one. It was a 3.5 of course.
A for Angenieux?

I never heard of a Angenieux Soligor, but who knows? I have even seen a Carl Meyer lens branded as Soligor.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no chance Angenieux will made lenses for Soligor. I know Angenieux did made some lenses for used in Kodak camera.

Here is a Soligor 105mm F3.5 with K serial. Any one know who made it?
Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyoei
Had this as Petri and Soligor.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Kyoei
Had this as Petri and Soligor.

Thanks Luis. As with many Kyoei, this lens is pretty similar to the Komura 3.5/105 which both are triplet.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJB wrote:
guardian, there is a small scrape on the barrel near the front element but it's not dented. That's the only visible defect I can discern.

Luis, it does not have a star pattern. It looks like an even-sided polygon across the range. I would provide a photo but it is too dark to take a decent one; I can try tomorrow.

To everybody else, thanks for the advice; I will return it. To attempt to repair it sounds like it would be cost prohibitive at best and futile at worst.

In the mean time, I will play with my new-to-me Isco Gottingen 135/3.5. The few test shots I took yesterday look promising.

I have the ISCO Westanar 3.5/135 and it is one of my two best for bokeh, along with Tair. I'd appreciate seeing which one you have.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With pleasure. I like the colors and contrast. Easy to focus. And so tiny! Mine has Exakta mount.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. I would have liked one of those older ones. Mine is plastic.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is very heavy for its size. Very satisfying to use. I got this one on ebay for a relatively modest price. Maybe one will come to you too.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJB wrote:
With pleasure. I like the colors and contrast. Easy to focus. And so tiny! Mine has Exakta mount.

Have this one too and it is one of my favorite 135mm. It is compact and well built with decent sharpness and nice rendering as you say Very Happy