Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

soligor 100-300mm F5 lense
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:43 am    Post subject: soligor 100-300mm F5 lense Reply with quote

hi guys i just got myself one of these lens recently but i cant find any info on the web. does anyone noe abt the characteristics of this lens? sweet spot?
macro magnification?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The soligor 100-300 f5 was produced from 1973 by tokina for soligor AND vivitar (same product)

It was created in the same time as the 35-105 (35-105 + 100-300 = 35/300 in 2 lens only .. A great advance at that time)

It was mainly sold as C/D product (Compact/Design.. The top of the range of soligor - the C/D line competes the vivitar series 1 line) .. C/D because it was much more compact and lighter than the 75-260 4.5 which was the top of the tokina/soligor/vivitar zoom range at that time

Later a new version - more compact - was produced by tokina for vivitar only and sold in fixed mount and tx interchnageable mount

I'm quite sure than 2nd version was never sold as soligor

You can find the info for the 2nd version at following adress
http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/showthread.php?t=44396

I will come back later with the more precise infos you are asking for

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen this lens quite often as a Soligor C/D also.

Unfoirtunately all the ones I have seen are in Minolta or OM mount, so I have never tried to aquire one.

Hi Pbfacts,

Thanks for the info, it sounds like an excellent lens if it is so sharp at f/5, that would make it very useful.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobbyR wrote:
I have a question; I had a Soligor 85-300 lens which I gave away, but the lens list I have bookmarked shows only a Soligor 100-300 and no 85-300.

Does anyone have the history?
Bobby

The 85-300 is a sun (goyo optical) made lens ~1982

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
I have seen this lens quite often as a Soligor C/D also.

Unfoirtunately all the ones I have seen are in Minolta or OM mount, so I have never tried to aquire one.

Hi Pbfacts,

Thanks for the info, it sounds like an excellent lens if it is so sharp at f/5, that would make it very useful.

Beware : the link is for the 2nd version .. I have no idea of the quality of the 1st version BUT usually the tokina c/d made lenses were very good performers at their time (but you cannot compare with the quality of later made zuiko, rokkor, nikkor...)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies for resurrecting a 12 year old thread, but it applies.

Yesterday I received a Soligor 100-300mm f/5.0 C/D in Minolta mount. With the original case and a piece of cardboard that has all the data printed on it and the serial number of my lens. The serial makes it indeed a Tokina and dates it to 1976 (serial starts with "176"). Mine is a "2-ring" zoom; not sure if there are push-pull versions.

I found some references stating that it weighs 804 grams. Perhaps I have an older version but I have measured mine at 1245 grams. The thing is very heavy. No plastic involved in this one. Fortunately it has a tripod mount.

Doing some initial tests, my impression is that the 100mm focal length is not very sharp at all. Perhaps better to think of it as a 135-300mm lens, because 135mm is much better than 100mm. On the zoom ring the 100mm settings is a long turn away from 135mm compared to the other focal lengths. My impression is that the longer the focal length, the better this lens gets.

Wide open at f/5, well... I have seen worse. At f/8 things are definitely better.

Regards, C.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might this be the same as the Hoya 100-300mm f5?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eggplant wrote:
Might this be the same as the Hoya 100-300mm f5?

The Hoya is the same lens as the Tokina and Vivitar and Soligor. Just not Connloyalists version which is heavier and has a 67mm Filter thread. The lens in this topic has a 62mm filter thread and weighs about 800 grams.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think both versions are Tokina origin. The 67mm variant calls itself a ‚macro focussing zoom´ on the nameplate, and its got a tripod mount. This might be the earlier version. The 62mm version has no tripod mount and says ‚close focussing´ at the distance scale. Naming might be different with Soligor, Vivitar or other distributors.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, since then I have acquired both Tokina and Soligor brochures from this period, an earlier and later one of each, so I will be able to tell you which is which.

When I get the time to look at them...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not seen any images from this lens, but I cannot imagine amazing results.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I refer to this lens and its contemporaries as tokinas "heavy metal" range. For obvious reasons.
I think this lens bears comparison to eg viv series 1. A TX viv example I had was pretty good, especially through the middle of the zoom range. I wasn't too impressed at 300mm, not very sharp and obvious aberrations like fringing. Between this lens and later alternatives like sigma x-300mm, cosina/tokina 100-300mm, although slower typically f6.7 they still tended to be better at 300mm or at least no worse.
The lens (its the later version):

Few pics, pentax K3-ii.

crop:

crop:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, apart from the images of the boat, the other samples are not bad at all.

A shame the OP has probably not returned to the forum since 2009 Laugh 1