Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Soft focus
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both Kenko and Imagon makes me envy you guys! Congratulations!

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

piticu posted three images: The first pic is taken with Sima f2.8 wide open, second with my "filter" attached and the last one with a Nikkor 18-135 at 100mm f5.6. In all pic i used also a flash for fill:

Wow! The "filter" image is spectacular. I don't think I would change that filter, just use it as you have it.

Beautiful.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, i'll happily trade a dozen of that "filter" for any of the above mentioned lens, but thank you for your encouragement Smile

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Cezar, I have two 85mm and two 45mm Kenko now.... Wink Wink

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My soft focus lens for 4x5" camera... Rodenstock Imagon 250mm H=5.6

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

200mm Rodenstock Imagon, adapted for Nikon D3:

Two from Mamiya 150mm Imagon-style soft focus, adapted for D3:

Last edited by papah on Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:21 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seele wrote:
Sorry for coming in late.

Apart from the Sima, I also have a Spencer Port-Land from Buffalo NY, also of the same design type. I have to say that the Spencer is a bit of a handful to use: its degree of diffusion is dependent on the aperture used, and to use it at full aperture (maximum diffusion) focussing is very tricky as the axial rays can overpower the on-axis rays, so what seems to be in focus could be out of focus on the negative.

For quite some time now, I have been thinking of making an Imagon-type "sink strainer" discs for both the Sima and the Spencer; been hoping to find the exact specs of them: the bigger hole in the middle would be one producing the "core" image, while the secondary holes surrounding it produce the secondary "halo" images. So the design of the sink strainer disc determines the imtensity ratio between the core and halo, and the rate of the halo dissipates.

Ideally, the sink strainer disc should have an adjustment to shut down the surrounding holes, for the purpose of focussing, then the other holes can be opened up to obtain diffusion.

My problem is to find a way to get the sink strainer discs designed and made to give a known f/stop: no TTL metering with my 4"X5" cameras!

Thanks Sam,

for the swap. I will see if + how I can get that Port-Land lens into use. 9" (229mm) is a bit long though, but I love challenges!! Jim Galli actuaqlly inspired me to look for such a lens so I will try to mount it and see how that works for me..

Cheers,

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally i got a good diffuser filter: a b+w soft-image 67e that costs under 25$ shipping including NIB. I can hardly wait to see it in action. From its description i understood that has bubbles on its surface - does anybody knows if b+w made copies of zeiss softar?
On the other side i just received a Dallmeyer 5.3" f4.5 Popular Enlarging Anastigmat in great shape except the blades - all 16 are oily. After i finish cleaning it i'll look for a way to mount it on my Nikon camera. I think i can make it deliver nice soft focus photoraphs.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the first result is here using the Spencer Port-Land lens:

there is a seperate thread now on that lens here:
http://forum.mflenses.com/spencer-port-land-pictorial-soft-focus-lens-first-result-t17469.html

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Forgot, I have that Kenko Soft Focus MC f2.5/85mm also, delivers nice true soft focus images...but works differently, without the "sieve" plates.

You said it dosn't use a filter. Have you an idea, Klaus of how does it works ? I'm curious..

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

google search brought up immediately:
1st find:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/soft-focus.html
2nd find:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soft_focus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papah wrote:

Like 1 Like 1