Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Soft Focus Lenses Tamron 70-150 vs Mamiya 180mm Sekor
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Soft Focus Lenses Tamron 70-150 vs Mamiya 180mm Sekor Reply with quote

Alright after reading a couple of threads and much discussions with my two fellow photographers I made up my mind that my next purchase is going to be a soft focus lens. Easier said then done as I just discovered there is a quiet a few of those around!

The two on the radar is Tamron 70-150mm vs Mamiya 150/180 Sekor Lens.

The cost difference of course can be huge, especially between the Tamron and the 150 Sekor. I admit I love the Tamrons and I admit it is cool to have a RARE lens in my collection. However, I am more interested in results then feelings. Is there a drastic difference in output between the two? I have good zooms, so I am not in a rush to buy a zoom for a zoom sake. What I want is that lens I can use for soft focus during weddings, portraits, etc. Are they comparable or am I just going to get my money's worth via the Tamron even if double/triple the price?

Any feedback is welcome and cross finger that he can afford a Tamron Smile

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Mon May 09, 2016 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Soft Focus Lenses Tamron 70-150 vs Mamiya 180mm Sekor Reply with quote

maldaye wrote:
Alright after reading a couple of threads and much discussions with my two fellow photographers I made up my mind that my next purchase is going to be a soft focus lens. Easier said then done as I just discovered there is a quiet a few of those around!

The two on the radar is Tamron 70-150mm vs Mamiya 150/180 Sekor Lens.

The cost difference of course can be huge, especially between the Tamron and the 150 Sekor. I admit I love the Tamrons and I admit it is cool to have a RARE lens in my collection. However, I am more interested in results then feelings. Is there a drastic difference in output between the two? I have good zooms, so I am not in a rush to buy a zoom for a zoom sake. What I want is that lens I can use for soft focus during weddings, portraits, etc. Are they comparable or am I just going to get my money's worth via the Tamron even if double/triple the price?

Any feedback is welcome and cross finger that he can afford a Tamron Smile

Well, I have a 2nd Kenko 2.5/85mm soft focus lens you could have if you like. It has a T-mount, so fits basically all cameras you can get such an adapter for. It is quite affordable compared to others.

http://forum.mflenses.com/kenko-2-5-85mm-soft-focus-lens-t30549,highlight,%2Bsoft+%2Bfocus.html

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Soft Focus Lenses Tamron 70-150 vs Mamiya 180mm Sekor Reply with quote

maldaye wrote:
Alright after reading a couple of threads and much discussions with my two fellow photographers I made up my mind that my next purchase is going to be a soft focus lens.

Or maybe just a Zeiss Softar?
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41yFzdnfJGL._SY300_.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well, again that old same thing again...

A filter or vaseline etc lets black bleed into teh whites, a real soft focus lens allows a
glow and shimmer that no filter can replace ... sighhhhh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(please don't quote images what has just been posted...thx, mod)

*shhhs* My wife almost smacked me up the head for mentioning getting the lens. She is a make-up artist and she always want 'sharp sharp' photo of the face. Her teacher fault he is a photographer who kept drilling it in her head and how all he ever needs is a 3 light setup that doesn't change very much and a 70-200 VRII lens. Good teacher of makeup though.

Anyway, what I want is to get the soft focus without losing focus to the eyes, nose, and mouth. That is why I was contemplating the Tamron SP, but it went south of $600 - out of my budget Wink

Can you attain that kind of selective sharpness with this lens?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Oh well, again that old same thing again...

A filter or vaseline etc lets black bleed into teh whites, a real soft focus lens allows a

There... there.....I feel your pain... My friend just made the same recommendation on yahoo IM and we argued for 30 minutes about it. Plus, I dare not use vaseline on a lens in fear of damage to the coating or the lens body. I heard some prefer to use stockings with holes in it, but as the commerical says: "it tastes good, but it ain't oatmeal!"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Soft Focus Lenses Tamron 70-150 vs Mamiya 180mm Sekor Reply with quote

The 145mm is over $300. I think the fact that it can be mounted to Nikon and other 35mm bodie might have pushed it up the scale. The RB lenses are much much cheaper, but I have to buy an adapater with hellicoid for $150 - at least that is a one time purchase.

Tell me more about the lens image quality/effects and how much you want for it.

Last edited by maldaye on Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One uses a cheap UV filter for that - of course Embarassed

Any good soft focus lens allows to adjust from sharp to soft! So even sharp sharp can be had Wink

(shot with the Kenko SF lens - now printed as examples in the famous book: "Langford's Advanced Photography, 8th edition")

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
One uses a cheap UV filter for that - of course Embarassed

Any good soft focus lens allows to adjust from sharp to soft! So even sharp sharp can be had Wink

(shot with the Kenko SF lens - now printed as examples in the famous book: "Langford's Advanced Photography, 8th edition")

Count me interested, but i still need the price.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have PM

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:

Blacks bleeding into whites? Tell me more about it.

http://www.photoshopessentials.com/photo-effects/soft-focus/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: Soft Focus Lenses Tamron 70-150 vs Mamiya 180mm Sekor Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Mon May 09, 2016 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could chase the elusive Petzval!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which does not allow to control teh SF effect tho... Wink

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a cheap Sigma YS 135mm f/2.8 and use it with extension tubes, best if you modify it.
It is a bit like Nikon Defocus Control lenses for changing the spherical aberration to get different bokeh.