Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

snowy stream
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:10 am    Post subject: snowy stream Reply with quote

Alternative title - "be very careful where you put your feet"

Nex, Flek 25/4 at f/8 or so.

I'm seeking C&C specifically on the question of "are the far trees sharp enough", or do they detract from the shot. Other comments welcome!

technical info - used HDR to bring out detail in snow without blacking out the trees, converted to B+W to get rid of colour artifacts.

Luminance HDR 2.3.0 tonemapping parameters:
Operator: Mantiuk06
Parameters:
Contrast Mapping factor: 0.15
Saturation Factor: 0
Detail Factor: 6.9
PreGamma: 1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it with all sharp and I do really like the composition. My main comment would be on the post-process, I do think it's grey-ish: snow should be white, not grey, even if it means overexposing the sky in that case.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

100% agree with above. i like realistic depiction of what you saw in a scene like this, so since your eye sees clarity throughout the frame, i like the deep DOF. by the same token, what you saw was 'white' snow, and i think the contrast between that and the grey water would enhance, as well as 'liven up' the photo.
tony

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comments noted, thanks.

I'll post-process again for whiter snow but might not get the chance for a few days.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me of my home area in northern Idaho, thanks for posting!

Yes, whiter snow would be nice, but a nice comp nonetheless.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another version.

I laid just a hint of blue into the snow by the water. I wanted to preserve the detail but hopefully the blue will make it look like cold clean snow instead of grey dirty snow.

Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it more, I think the purpose is met, the snow looks better. But did you try to increase a bit exposure?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Version 3.

I left the whites whiter, and didn't completely desaturate the colours. There's still a little green in the trees, and hints of tea colour in the water, I think the extra contrast to the snow makes it look whiter.

Thanks for all comments so far.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1 simple lightened
#2 HDR
#3 silverfx darken contrast vignette

smaller images give better impression , don't need to scroll up and down.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say snow is light blue. Wink On grey overcast day, snow is grey. Forest snow such as here, is green-tinted. Sometimes snow is red-tinted, as during sunrise/sunset, or even multi-colored, as during aurorae. Yellow "happens" sometimes too! Laughing

I thin best white balance is somewhere in-between versions #2 & #3 -- not as quite as blue as in version #2, not as red-shifted as in version #3 (note red cast on water).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@fuzzywuzzy: I really like your version #3 Wink
@Attila: I like version #1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fear the red shift in #3 was provided by mother nature, here's a crop of the water with no colour adjustment Laughing

So here's yet another version.

More appropriate size.
Care taken to leave the snow more white then grey.
Entire pic desaturated a bit, then the bottom half completely desaturated, and a hint of light blue added to the snow.

Once again thanks for the comments everyone.