Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Smena Symbol
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Smena Symbol Reply with quote

Have tested a Smena Symbol which is a old USSR (Russian) camera.
It has a LOMO T-43 (Triplet) 40mm f/4.

Below are some of the test shots taken with this camera.
The pictures are analog and are taken with AGFA CINEREX (X-ray film) and developed in X-tol.

My review has more and hires images and can be found here if you're interested: http://blog.bkspicture.com/review_Smena_Symbol.html

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

like it, significantly better-than-expected pictures

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't matter how crappy the box is, it's the glass that does the work.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Russian glas don't usually disappoint.
Many thanks for the nice comments!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Symbol, as well as an 8M. I have yet to use the Symbol, but found the 8M a fun camera to use. I am currently waiting for a roll from the 8M to come back all scanned and will post results.
The only issue I found with the 8M (not sure if the Symbol is the same) is that it was very difficult to rewind the film on a 36 exp roll. From now on I think I'll stick to no more than 24exp.
Anyway, my film loading woes here:
http://sjp.id.au/oldgear/loading-film-into-a-smena-8m/

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have hade a simular problem with a Diana mini where the film got stuck and the was very difficult to rewind.
But in that case somthing went wrong with the loading and have not hade that problem sence.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BKSPicture wrote:
Have hade a simular problem with a Diana mini where the film got stuck and the was very difficult to rewind.
But in that case somthing went wrong with the loading and have not hade that problem sence.

I had the same problem with my first Diana Mini roll. It's not too well made anyway, but the film just got snagged on the sprockets and started to buckle and rip. This roll seems to have fared better !

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this rewind problem also with my Zorki 2C.
These smena were popular here fourty years ago.Many teenagers and Young people used them, they were cheap

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
It doesn't matter how crappy the box is, it's the glass that does the work.

Smena-1 from 1954-1956 have great body quality, made in bakelite. 8-digits serials have the year in front, 54xxxxxx, 55xxxxxx and few 56xxxxxx. After then are up to 6-digits serials first in front on the lens, later on the side of the body. There is a big difference to the thermoplast bodies of 8M and Symbol.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens LOMO T-43 can be built into a Industar-50 lens body (m39) for using on mirrorless cams. I have one Wink

And look at the nice IQ from the A7R with this lens Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teo wrote:
I have this rewind problem also with my Zorki 2C.
These smena were popular here fourty years ago.Many teenagers and Young people used them, they were cheap

Very often I find parts of film inside of Zorki-1/2/C/2C. They can make life difficult. Some can block the gears, some hide in the curtains. I think sometimes the film spool sits too strong and too high and can't move up and down. Maybe that's a reason for the trouble. Trouble with rewinding because the film doesn't move straight. Then parts of the film break at the holes of the film. Sometimes I can't take the spool out with fingers, it sits so stong, need pliers to get it out. I would try to make the spool move easy.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
The lens LOMO T-43 can be built into a Industar-50 lens body (m39) for using on mirrorless cams. I have one Wink

That's great. T-43 is on a Smena-8M, I got one for 6 euro incl shipping. Great if you can do the transition to M39. I read it somewhere.