Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

SMC Pentax 55/1.8 vs Rollei HFT Planar 50/1.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:

Well, the Takumar provides the typical warm color tone like all old Takumars whereas the Ultron look is neutral and clear. I would rate the contrast of the Rollei lens higher but as I already stated, contrast can be boosted afterwards quite easy as well. Finally, CA's are better corrected by Rollei. If stopped down the only visible difference is the color tone. Also the Takumar is excellent then.
Both lenses can be found for apprx. EUR 50,- here in Europe; the Rollei Ultron is most probably the best lens available for this little money. I doubt that you will find anything better in this price range.
I think there are plenty of pictures from both lenses on Flickr or even here in the forum to see their color characteristics.
However, the mechanical quality of the old Takumars is better. These lenses are built to last forever. I never ever had any troubles with any of my Takumars and I have many of them.
If still in doubt, go for both lenses.....

Thanks again!

I have already ordered a new, boxed Rollei Planar HFT 50mm f/1.8 which I found in Germany for 75 Eur. I was thinking weather I would need the Tak. I read most info and checked many samples from both lenses - from what I see I probably don't need the Tak given that I already ordered the Rollei. Although I need it for for a certain project on color and contrast rendering I am still looking forward to see if it can match the sharpness of the Zenitar-ME1 which is based on the 1st Ultron version by Tronnier and is the sharpest Soviet lens I have tried (and I have tried almost all). Actually it is the sharpest MF 50mm I have tried but the Soviet multi coating it has is not really good.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dusty-Lens wrote:

I have already ordered a new, boxed Rollei Planar HFT 50mm f/1.8 which I found in Germany for 75 Eur. I was thinking weather I would need the Tak. I read most info and checked many samples from both lenses - from what I see I probably don't need the Tak given that I already ordered the Rollei. Although I need it for for a certain project on color and contrast rendering I am still looking forward to see if it can match the sharpness of the Zenitar-ME1 which is based on the 1st Ultron version by Tronnier and is the sharpest Soviet lens I have tried (and I have tried almost all). Actually it is the sharpest MF 50mm I have tried but the Soviet multi coating it has is not really good.

Other "original Ultrons" 6 lenses in 5 groups which come to my mind: Yashica Lens 50/1.7 and (already mentioned) Minolta 50/1.7 and Sony 50/1.8.
I like the Ultrons as well (I also have the Zenitar 50/1.7) and there is no really bad one.....

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:

Other "original Ultrons" 6 lenses in 5 groups which come to my mind: Yashica Lens 50/1.7 and (already mentioned) Minolta 50/1.7 and Sony 50/1.8.
I like the Ultrons as well (I also have the Zenitar 50/1.7) and there is no really bad one.....

Yes many lenses took the design later. Unfortunately the 2nd version which seems to the best was not duplicated by other manufacturers due to the difficulties producing its front element.

By the way the Zenitar 50 1.7 is a good lens but definitely not comparable to the Zenitar-ME1 MC which uses different glass but was unfortunately released in a series of only 6000 out of which many are already destroyed due to the worse Soviet quality of its mechanics.