Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

SMC and S.T. 1,4 aperture ring
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: SMC and S.T. 1,4 aperture ring Reply with quote

http://www.pbase.com/carpents/nlsr1m6images

There you can note that in the S.T. 1,4/50, the aperture ring has the 1,4 setting to close to the point that main F/2. It seems to be a F/1,8 setting more than the 1,4 (but it's 1,4 one, ins't it?). I read posts where the ST owners said that their lens not so luminous than others 1,4 lenses. In facts one of them said that his planar 1,7 let pass more light than his takumar 1,4.

Beside it, the S-M-C 1,4. The last has the F/1,4 setting so near to the F/2 one like the F/2 is close to the F/2,8 and so.

Is the last element of the hot ST more hot than the S-M-C ones and let, in the 1,8 setting, pass the light like a common 1,4 lens?

I don´t think so.

But then why that difference?

Rino.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: SMC and S.T. 1,4 aperture ring Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
... said that his planar 1,7 let pass more light than his takumar 1,4.

Just to point out that a Contax 1.7/50 is actually equal to f1.5 in luminosity.... Wink

Also he should test his tak 1.4/50 after he bleached the lens... yellowing leaves less light pass through... I gained nearly 1 stop after bleaching mine...
After examining my S-M-C 1.4/50, the blades moves much further from f2---> f1.4 than between the other stops.. so it seem normal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: SMC and S.T. 1,4 aperture ring Reply with quote

Keysersoze27 wrote:

Also he should test his tak 1.4/50 after he bleached the lens... yellowing leaves less light pass through... I gained nearly 1 stop after bleaching mine...

I gained 0.3 stops, but mine wasn't terribly yellow in the first place.

Keysersoze27 wrote:
After examining my S-M-C 1.4/50, the blades moves much further from f2---> f1.4 than between the other stops.. so it seem normal

Same here, so I guess this is normal behavior.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

It seemed very rare that the movement in a linear aperture mechanism the ring can be not linear in the 1,4 to 2 setting.

But then it is common.

Rino.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rino I just compared my Super and S-M-C Takumar f1.4/50mm

I was very surprised that the S-M-C is quite a bit 'deeper' than the Super Tak. So many times I have read that they are optically the same and only differ in coating.
Could the difference in size suggest that they differ in optical construction also?

both have 2 steps in between f1.4 and f2.8, their location is illustrated by the added red points:

( my S-M-C is quite damaged, but the one on the right IS a S-M-C 1.4/50 Wink )

on the Super Takumar the 3 throws between the four settings are about the same, possibly the first is a bit shorter than the next two between the white point and f2.8
on the S-M-C the first throw between f1.4 and f2 is quite a bit longer than the 2 following throws from f2 to f2.8.
both have half stop clicks between all the following f stops but not between the last two, f11 and f16.

If they are 'real' f1.4 I cannot say.
With the same light / ISO my Pentax *istDs meters 1/125 sec for the Nikkor-S 1.4/50 @f1.4 but 1/100 sec. for both 1.4/50 Taks.
However the camera does meter M42 and the Nikkors quite differently ( more consistantly with M42 )
I have not yet checked histograms / exposure of photos to find out if the Nikkor really can do with a shorter exposure time / is faster @ f1.4 ( but may do that tomorrow with daylight )

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
Rino I just compared my Super and S-M-C Takumar f1.4/50mm

I was very surprised that the S-M-C is quite a bit 'deeper' than the Super Tak. So many times I have read that they are optically the same and only differ in coating.
Could the difference in size suggest that they differ in optical construction also?

Excelent!! Thank you, very much.

If I can do anythikg, it would be:

Yes, the S.T. focused to infinite (well, near ) seems to be shorter than the SMC

Probably when added the MC, the Asahi co. must reformulated the lens to maintain it as 1,4/50. Or the S-M-C is a definitively different lens than the S.T.

kuuan wrote:
both have 2 steps in between f1.4 and f2.8, their location is illustrated by the added red points...

I don´t know why the step in the ST from 1,4 to 2 is shorter that the same apertures step in the SMC.

kuuan wrote:
If they are 'real' f1.4 I cannot say.
With the same light / ISO my Pentax *istDs meters 1/125 sec for the Nikkor-S 1.4/50 @f1.4 but 1/100 sec. for both 1.4/50 Taks.
However the camera does meter M42 and the Nikkors quite differently ( more consistantly with M42 )
I have not yet checked histograms / exposure of photos to find out if the Nikkor really can do with a shorter exposure time / is faster @ f1.4 ( but may do that tomorrow with daylight )[/list]

Nice to see it.

Thanks.

Rino.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuan,

Your Super Takumar is not positioned in the infinity mark when you tried to compare their height....unless you have corrected the infinity position on the aperture ring of the S-tak... Razz ...also the nose is longer in the S-M-C
It is obvious that they have increased the width of the focusing ring between the lens but they didn't change the len's weight (255gr). That will justify the reports that the S-tak is better build (denser metal) than the newer version.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
kuuan wrote:
I have not yet checked histograms / exposure of photos to find out if the Nikkor really can do with a shorter exposure time / is faster @ f1.4 ( but may do that tomorrow with daylight )

Nice to see it. Thanks.
Rino.

hope I shall have time tomorrow Rino

Keysersoze27 wrote:
Kuan,
Your Super Takumar is not positioned in the infinity mark when you tried to compare their height....unless you have corrected the infinity position on the aperture ring of the S-tak... Razz ...also the nose is longer in the S-M-C
It is obvious that they have increased the width of the focusing ring between the lens but they didn't change the len's weight (255gr). That will justify the reports that the S-tak is better build (denser metal) than the newer version.

yes, I also had noticed ( after taking the pics ) that the S.T is not focused to infinity, but of course at infinity it is even shorter.

at closer inspection it looks as if the changes are the wider focus ring and the somewhat longer 'nose' only.
The front lens on the S-M-C simply is more recessed!
- so I am quite sure that the optics themselves have the same width. ( I just tested with a self made 'tapered spool' made out of carton )

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

see histograms of photos taken of the same object with Nikkor-S 1.4/50 and S-M-C 1.4/50, same lighting ( tried to change lens very fast ), ISO200, 1/40 sec. @f1.4

I did the same thing about 10 times over, the Nikkor consistently just noticably was exposing more bright, here examples of two sample pics:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Andreas.

Sharing very useful information.

Rino.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
see histograms of photos taken of the same object with Nikkor-S 1.4/50 and S-M-C 1.4/50, same lighting ( tried to change lens very fast ), ISO200, 1/40 sec. @f1.4

I did the same thing about 10 times over, the Nikkor consistently just noticably was exposing more bright, here examples of two sample pics:

Kuan,

Is your test Tak bleached?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keysersoze27 wrote:

Kuan,
Is your test Tak bleached?

it was quite yellow when I had bought it abt. 18 months ago
now it looks clear to me, see the lens / glass in the pics in my first post, the lens on the right side, the one without the 'lettering'

( I never had 'bleached' it on purpose, but had been using the lens extensively in countries with much sunlight. Over the time the originally quite strong yellow cast on the photos also had gone away )

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I add another question to the Keysersoze27 ones.

Seeing the Andrea's pic of the taks, where they are by the side, I noted that the exit pupil of the SMC is greater? Measured both from the screw M42 of each lens to the beginning of the last element.

Yes, you can say that the rear element of the ST, like the lens isn't focused to infinite, is not so back like the SMC one. But I think that focused to infinite, the rear element of the ST isn't so great like the SMC.

Rino.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rino from visual examination of my two lenses I'd say:

when focused to infinity both rear classes extend equally far
the rear glass of the S-M-C has almost 1 mm bigger diameter than the rear glass of the S.T.

more comparison shots to come tomorrow Smile