Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

SLR Magic Hyperprime Cine 50mm T0.95 (f/0.92) M mount
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: SLR Magic Hyperprime Cine 50mm T0.95 (f/0.92) M mount Reply with quote

For the lovers of night photography, the depth of field junkies and those with a need to compensate...

This is a lens that is hand-assembled in Hong Kong by a small manufacturer that until recently made cheap little lenses for the NEX and MTF. I am speculating that this one is more or less Leica Noctilux 50/0.95 reverse engineered and with aspherical elements replaced by spheres, hence the bulk. But this is speculation only. People say that the glass is made by Schott. If anyone has info, I'd be interested to hear about the optical design.

I got this lens earlier in the week and thought to start a rolling review. There are a few on the web already:

http://www.3d-kraft.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=116:about-the-limit-slr-magic-hyperprime-cine-50mm-t095&catid=40:camerasandlenses&Itemid=2

http://lavidaleica.com/content/slr-magic-hyperprime-lm-50mm-t095

http://www.photozone.de/sony_nex/732-slrmagic50t095

But they are either on Leica M9 or Sony Nex-7. I have been using it on the Nex-5n which has a sensor that is better behaved on the borders than the Nex-7 and so far the results there are very good.

This is a $3k lens new and good luck finding it second-hand. So what has it got going for it?

Summary

The Good:

1. This is a Full Frame 50/0.92 lens!
2. The optics are superb - sharp and detail-rich images, great contrast and colours, very smooth bokeh, reasonable CA and flare control wide open but don't expect miracles (ie still worse than a $200 50/1.4 wide open).
2. Stepless aperture can be handy for film, reasonably easy to focus

The Bad:

1. Huge and heavy - easily the largest heaviest 50mm I have ever touched
2. Not convinced by the build quality - though the reported problems are to do with the rangefinder coupled version, mine has a stiff aperture ring, somewhat uneven focus, real element was screwed in too tight and there is damage along the rim, just does'n seem very very professional

Optically this lens doesn't disappoint. I haven't used the 10K+ Noctilux f/0.95 but I have used a lot of brilliant 50mm (including the Summilux 50mm Asph) and I'd say that in reasonable light this lens wide open (which reportedly is f/0.92) is as good as the older Leica Summilux-R 50mm at f/1.4 which was very very good.

I was really surprised just how good:

100% crop:

100% crop:

Even the shopping mall lights make a reasonable bokeh:

Night shots:

Stopped down a little bit it becomes a great portrait lens:

And pretty much anything else that a 50mm can do (field of view ~75mm on the APS-C) as long as you don't mind the weight and the bulk:

So would I recommend this lens? Optically, yes, unreservedly. If it doesn't fall apart in the next few years, yes. And whether you are brave enough to take a punt like I did, that's entirely up to you.

I will post more pics if there is interest.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the samples. I like all - the rendering, the color, one thing I don't - the price, I doubt I'll ever buy one... I think the lens will be a real gem showing full potential on a planned FF nex, as Leica is kinda not affordable Smile. I've seen samples of it on a M9 by Steven Huff, great lens nothing said.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the lens assembled only with glue (not grub screws)?

The portrait shows incredible detail!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! That lens in FF M-mount!! Wow!

Drooool....

Far beyond my reach, though. Especially now, after the M8. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From http://lavidaleica.com/content/slr-magic-hyperprime-lm-50mm-t095

Quote:
At this time we cannot, in good faith - recommend this lens. SLR Magic needs to address these issues and provide a reliable lens, complete with decent packaging and provide a warranty to back it up. If these issues are addressed, it can still be a great lens. We don't see any reason that this can't be accomplished (and we sincerely hope it does) but whether this can be done before the official September release remains to be seen and we will keep you posted on developments.

Make sure you check out threads about this lens on getdpi and LUF too before jumping in. I am sure 3D-Kraft will jump in to defend this lens (just as he has done in other forums too) even though he admit to have never used the M mount RF-coupled version. Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's the thing - all of the complaints I've seen were about the RF coupled version, as I've said. Although mine doesn't exactly impress either, it feels solid, so far (maybe the glue is better Wink )

As for the assembly, I am not certain, but glue has been used in Leica lenses too. I guess it depends on how and where.

Last edited by DanielT74 on Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RF coupled version is also ~twice as expensive as the uncoupled version if I am not mistaken?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I am not quite sure why such a huge difference. They are said to be optically identical.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have lusted after this lens since it first came out...but will probably never afford one. They are supposedly able to challenge the Leica Noctilux for IQ. What do you think?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the reviews I've linked to above - the first two compare it to the Noctilux but I would not trust the border/corner performance evaluations on the Nex-7 because of it's difficult sensor. So far it seems fine in the corners. I will post a few images specifically addressing this. Seems like it is very close to the Noctilux in IQ.

From what I've seen of other fast lenses, the only one that comes close is the slower Canon FD 55mm f1.2 Aspherical, which is surprisingly sharp with great colours but can have very busy bokeh wide open. Of course it is also useless for rangefinder shooters. But for MILCers it's excellent value - much smaller with great mechanics to match top optics and a decent price - can be had under 1k.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: SLR Magic Hyperprime Cine 50mm T0.95 (f/0.92) M mount Reply with quote

DanielT74 wrote:

Daniel, I would LOVE to see many more photos! Smile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing. I want one! Smile
Please post more samples.

This lens caught my attention when I read Steve Huff reviews of this lens.
He wrote many reviews and he love this lens a bit more than the Noctilux for the sharpness, the closer MFD and I think also the price Smile

Some of his review :

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2012/02/04/the-slr-magic-hyperprime-50-lm-t0-95-leica-mount-lens-rolling-review/

http://leicaliker.com/2012/05/05/steve-huffs-los-angeles-workshop-2012-slr-magic-hyperprime-50mm-f-0-95-noktor-lens/

The sample photos made me drolling like a flood Smile
He said that the M mount is much better compared to the Sony & m4/3 mount (which he said they are glowy and soft wide open).

I've just seen a video of this lens vs Noctilux comparison on vimeo :

http://vimeo.com/38739383

In that video the SLR Magic looks glowy and has muted color that the might Noctilux. I wonder if it was the Sony/m4/3 mount that Steve Huff said.
By the way it's the Cine version of the lens. The Cine is different than the LM version (read the Steve's review above).

Steve also warned us about the bad things of the lens specially for quality control such as loose ring, no ability to focus at infinity, and also customer service & return policy.

Nevertheless I still have big interest on this lens Smile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found Steve Huff's gushing over this lens less than convincing especially after seeing him comparing it with a clearly front focused Summilux 50mm ASPH etc etc. Not to mention that he was sponsored by SLR Magic all of which suggested his review should be taken with a generous dollop of salt.

Also from the other reviews it seems that in most respects it falls a little short of the Noctilux and of course in bulk and weight it far exceeds it. But regardless of how it compares to the Nocti (and there must be some sample variability too) as you can see my copy is an excellent lens that blows the likes of Canon 50/0.95 and even Schneider-Xenon 50/0.95 right out of the water. I was really surprised just how good it was. These ultra-fast designs are very tricky hence my speculation above.

Why do you say that the Cine and the LM versions are optically different? Everywhere I've read it is said that they are optically identical. The lens for NEX and MFT is an older one made by Noktor and a completely different design. It's a shame they are marketed under virtually identical names which is bound to cause some confusion.

Dream Merchant wrote:
DanielT74 wrote:

Daniel, I would LOVE to see many more photos! Smile

Thanks! I don't have anything special to show at the moment, but here's a few snaps that should give an idea (I do have some with pretty bad fringing too, I will have to dig them out):

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woww .. it looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing.

About the Cine and M version different, yes there is no optical different as Steve Huff mentioned on his blog. Only in the lens aperture mechanism, mount, and other thing.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing performance!!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: SLR Magic Hyperprime Cine 50mm T0.95 (f/0.92) M mount Reply with quote

DanielT74 wrote:
...People say that the glass is made by Schott...

That doesn't wonder me.
Schott is one if not the largest producer of optical and technical glass and everyone can buy blocks of high quality optical glass with different refraction indexes, transmission capabilities etc. from a large catalog and grind it to a own lens etc.
I'm pretty sure that also reputable companies like Zeiss or Leica are sometimes obtaining their glas from the Schott catalog, especially for small batches.

The lens looks really good for such a nighlux. It really looks very good comparable to the 10k Noctilux and much better than the 50/1.1 Nokton. I it would cost less than 1000€ I would buy it without much hesitation. But I guess that's already about the price for the material Wink

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Update... Reply with quote

Having used the lens for a while and having read some threads with other users' experience, I am actually a lot more confident about the build now.

I confess my initial misgivings about the build quality were mostly motivated by a lot of negative publicity about the lens and I know at least some of it was flaming pure and simple.

A lens that is sharp at sub f/0.95 is an amazing creative tool and I am very much a beginner when it comes to using its full potential, but very much looking forward to learning!

All at T0.95:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: SLR Magic Hyperprime Cine 50mm T0.95 (f/0.92) M mount Reply with quote

Interesting lens. I would need a FF MILC to go with it though. Smile

DanielT74 wrote:

This is a lens that is hand-assembled in Hong Kong by a small manufacturer that until recently made cheap little lenses for the NEX and MTF. I am speculating that this one is more or less Leica Noctilux 50/0.95 reverse engineered and with aspherical elements replaced by spheres, hence the bulk. But this is speculation only. People say that the glass is made by Schott. If anyone has info, I'd be interested to hear about the optical design.

Information on SLR Magic is hard to find, but it looks like they acquired a company called Noktor which was producing just one lens - the 50/0.95 HyperPrime Noktor lens. The Noktor site is now updated to mention SLR Magic, but I had seen it around before I saw any mention of SLR Magic. This Cine version is probably an optimization of the original Noktor design. Since then, SLR Magic has produced or announced a variety of other lenses. I doubt that the Noktor is a clone of the Noctilux. The M mount version is certainly different from the MFT/NEX versions. Also, the latter ones are not cheap - the MFT 50/0.95 costs around $1,000. They sell some toy lenses - perhaps that's what you had in mind, but those are actually new additions to their product line, AFAICT.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens design is shown on their site: http://www.slrmagic.com/faq.php

(c) slrmagic

Old Noctilux:

(c) E. Puts

New Noctilux (asph)

(c) E. Puts

E. Puts site about it: http://www.imx.nl/photo/Analysis/page122/page122.html

So they simply took the old Noctilux double gauss design for the Noktor obviously...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is the old Noktor Hyperprime for crop sensor. The one in this review is completely redesigned FF lens which costs 3x more (for the non rangefinder coupled version).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:

So they simply took the old Noctilux double gauss design for the Noktor obviously...

Well, the double Gauss design is one of the oldest lens designs out there. It is not a "Noctilux design", it is just a lens design that the Noctilux is based on and this design was used and refined by many (see link for details). AFAICT, the most important and distinctive improvement in the recent Noctilux are the floating elements and these are missing from the SLR Magic Noktor lens. So it is a big stretch to say that they took something from a Leica lens, given that that something had been used in tens of other lenses and most of them were produced way before that particular Leica lens.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, gents, have a look at the page the lens design comes from. Everything else is obviously referring to the old Nokton 50/0.95 for crop/MFT sensor. Beside La Vida Leica states that the new Hyperprime design is 12 elements in 7 groups. http://lavidaleica.com/content/slr-magic-hyperprime-lm-50mm-t095

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full report by Erwin Puts:

http://www.imx.nl/photo/optics/styled-14/NHP.html

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140889340711

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the m4/3 version, a totally different lens (and price) from the current thread

RAART wrote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140889340711