Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

since getting you sony a7/r
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:14 am    Post subject: since getting you sony a7/r Reply with quote

have you been carrying it around more often compared to your dslr? has the size been your biggest deciding factor? would love to carry my 5d MkII around more often but hate lugging it around at times.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, size dosen't matter! (at a cam, I mean Wink )

Sony A7 is a bit more compact than a DSLR, but it depends which lenses You use:
Adapter for SLR lenses needs the same space lens to sensor as usual, so the depth of the Sony with SLR lens is the same. Using compact lenses for VF camera like Leica M e.g. makes it much more compact.
But in relation to a Leica M the Sony is not more compact, because beyount the sensor there is a lot of space. Have a look to the top of the cam, there is the marking for sensor location and You'll see, what I mean.

The very main reason for my Sony was the ability to use nearly ALL lenses ever built:
At the moment I use Leica screw, M and Nikon adapter, waiting for the ALPA, Rollei QBM, M42, T-mount and C-mount adapters.
It's the first time, I will be able to use my ALPA Makro Switar on a fullframe digital (execpt the for most of us (and ME!) not affordable Leica M) with preview ability - God, I'm waiting for that ALPA adapter to arrive! Did order it even before I bought the Sony.

I got my Sony A7r second hand with the 28-70mm original lens included. I was shocked, how big this lens on the Sony was, I immediately sold it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The A7 is compatible with most of the mf lenses of the market.
The A7 has an EVF.
The A7 has a screen that you can tilt.
The A7 is compact.
It is the first FF camera which meets my expectations. I hesitated a long time thinking about buying a Canon 6d.
It is too big and the OVF is an issue to use non native lenses.So I bought the Sony.

Last edited by memetph on Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you needs/wants fullframe and wants to shoot manual lenses, the A7 is probably the best cam for you.

I have found out that I do not really need fullframe. I loved my 5D, but all I need I can get from my APS-C and APC-H cams.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The short flange distance of 17.8mm gives Zeiss & Sony the excellent oportunities to calculate and develop superb AF glasses! Both, the new Zeiss FE 2,8/35mm, and the Zeiss 1,8/55mm providing already the right optical qualities and the desire to see more, at least at the Photokina 2014 in Cologne!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Size was not the only reason for me. Yes - I am carrying it everyday with me now. Carrying my 5DMKII everyday was not practically useful.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a difference! Wink

http://camerasize.com/compact/#486.353,488.395,192.367,488.393,ha,t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I still used DSLR's I took it everywhere. Size and weight never bothered me. But I'm a pretty strong guy, not that it should matter too much. I cared about image quality and hated to sacrifice IQ for convenience. But like I say, size and weight never bothered me.

Now that all these smaller / lighter systems are out people complain about DSLR's being too big when 5 years ago it was normal lugging around a DSLR or a p&s.

Now that I'm a fuji user, I'm even hearing how mirrorless is getting too bulky hehe. I swear, some people are spoiled I guess (not referring to the OP).

As far as weight is concerned while using the camera, good technique can limit the strain one feels while using the camera.

I might buy another DSLR if I get serious with portraiture like I've wanted to. But right now, Fuji covers all my wants with their great affordable glass.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the first thing that went through my mind reading the above is what folks mustve said a few years after the model T came out: 'well five years ago everyone was riding horses. horses were good enough for my father and his father before him. these horseless carriages are just spoiling people'.

my take on both circumstances, horse and dslr, its not a matter of 'spoiled', or 'cant do what we used to do', but sometimes something markedly better just comes along. being a strong guy is good, especially when one has to carry a weeks worth of laundry down to the stream to beat against a wet rock.

all that is said tongue in cheek, and hopefully is taken the same way. like horses and wet rocks, dslrs will be around for awhile yet, and the desire to use them is wholly subjective. liking them doesnt make one a neanderthal, not liking them doesnt make one spoiled or less talented. its simply a matter of personal taste and compromise. we run into trouble when we try to project our subjective tastes and compromises onto others. god bless us all, everyone. ):
tony

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. Because I have been carrying my NEX-6 every single day for a while now.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly take it out more, but really dislike the EVF in good light. The Canon EOS 6D's OVF is far superior for daylight shooting. The a7 is wonderful for indoors, low light shooting however. The high ISO is OK, but noisy compared to that of the 6D.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet problem which top camera is better Smile

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Sweet problem which top camera is better Smile

Maybe Smile But I've given up trying to use the a7 now, it's just too difficult for me to focus properly without having to zoom in on every shot. So, I'm selling up and buying a little Olympus Pen set instead for fun (e-pl5, EVF, 17/1.8 and 25/1.Cool.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still prefer OVF with a proper screen, but the A7 finders are pretty nice for MF in low light

Especially for video!

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The size of the A7 is what finally convinced me to buy back into digital cameras.

I used to shoot a lot of 35mm, as a keen amateur. The initial digital cameras just did not have the image quality; DSLRs went for the large end of the market; and I could never justify the cost of an M9. Then Sony produced a perfect formula for me - compact body (I used to have Pentax 35mm, which are small), a shallow flange distance so I could put almost any lens on it, and decent dynamic range.

So yes, I carry it every day now Smile

Julian

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The auto diaphragm was invented to solve focusing issues with a OVF. So totally manual lenses on a DSLR have all of the old focusing problems of the early days. The A7/R solves all of these issues and makes manual lenses fully functional. It would seem to me that this would be a major break through for this forum, considering its main role.