Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sigma Zoom 80-200 f4.5-5.6 A Surprise Packet
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 4:33 am    Post subject: Sigma Zoom 80-200 f4.5-5.6 A Surprise Packet Reply with quote

I received this lens from a friend and on first glance it looked abysmal. Inside, the front elements were fungused, and it was - well - an old Sigma from an era when Sigma quality control and performance were pretty patchy to say the least.
I was tempted to toss it in the bin.
But with a little time to myself today, I decided to see if the front elements were cleanable, and if so - to see where that led.
As it turns out, the front elements are easily reached and easily cleaned - the rest of the lens was relatively fungus free.
Quick re-assembly and a few shots later and - to say the least - I am amazed.
First - here is the lens, followed by some samples.

Not at all the absolute dog that I was expecting.
In fact, a very nice lens indeed
Tom

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations for the repair and the photos.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:
Congratulations for the repair and the photos.

Thank you.
It really did surprise me with the quality of the images.
Here are a couple more from the same set
Tom

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! What focal lengths did you shoot them with?

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your posting reminds me of two other Sigma tele zooms from the late 1980s:

1) Sigma APO Zoom 3.5-4.5 f=50-200mm (manual focus, unusual white lens barrel, around 1984)
2) Sigma Zoom AF-APO 3.5-4.5 f=70-210mm APO (autofocus, unusual olive colored lens barrel)

Both are not very common; especiually the 50-200mm APO is prone to a fogged lens element.

The AF 70-210mm APO is exceptionally well corrected for CAs (both lateral and longitudinal); at f=70mm the corners are a bit unsharp, but otherwise its a very capable lens, especially considering its age.

My MF 50-200mm APO has the typical fogged element - since it's hidden quite deep inside the zoom and since it's said to be a glued element (not easy to repair) I didn't bother to clean. A few test shots however suggest that the lens would be unusually sharp and CA free as well.

S

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:
Nice! What focal lengths did you shoot them with?

Thank you.
I tried to cover the range of focal lengths, so some are 80 and others 200 with some in between.
Hard to remember them all - but the last image, I know was at 80mm, and the second last at 200mm
Cheers
Tom

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact, Tom, that makes reconsider some "forgotten" zoom marks. This one does not give the same punch as Minolta zooms, but its shapness and even colour rendition are notorius.

Very fine captures of leaf shades superposed on leaves, congrats!

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
In fact, Tom, that makes reconsider some "forgotten" zoom marks. This one does not give the same punch as Minolta zooms, but its shapness and even colour rendition are notorius.

Very fine captures of leaf shades superposed on leaves, congrats!

Thank you Alex.
here are a few from this afternoon
Tom

This one taken wide open @f4.5 at 200mm

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And for a change of pace:
The maximum aperture f4.5-5.6 makes shooting in available light indoors something of a challenge.
ISO 3200, and we are good to go:

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1