Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sigma Z 135mm Pantel f/2.8 - runs to f/64!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject: Sigma Z 135mm Pantel f/2.8 - runs to f/64! Reply with quote

Picked one of these up recently on E-whatsits. Early tests confirm that, like a lot of lenses, wide open isn't the way to razor sharpness, with improvements noticeable from f/4 onwards.

It's been too cold to set up comparative tests against other lenses so all I've been doing is playing with it. I can't wait for a situation in which I can test f/64.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a fair copy you got there. I have two copies of that lens - one in really bad shape and one in pristine condition. How much did you pay for yours if you don't mind sharing?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ducdao wrote:
Looks like a fair copy you got there. I have two copies of that lens - one in really bad shape and one in pristine condition. How much did you pay for yours if you don't mind sharing?

About sixty of our UK pounds which I thought was quite enough.

How do you find the f/64 - is it just a gimmic or is it useable and useful?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tikkathree wrote:

Probably mostly a gimmick. Possibly useful for long exposures, if sharpness isn't important. Otherwise: there's a reason why most 135 (24x36) format lenses don't go beyond f/22. Especially on DSLR's with high pixel counts f/64 will not give you much more DOF, just more diffraction and general blur. That is the theory anyway. On my 5D have seen a slight drop in central sharpness at f/11 already, with some of my lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tikkathree wrote:
ducdao wrote:

About sixty of our UK pounds which I thought was quite enough.

I got the pristine one for $50 and the other one was free Smile

f64 is a joke, looks great on the specs sheet but not really usable. I never gone beyond f22. I use both on Pentax DSLR so I had to "crazy glue" the aperture pin to make it work on my Pentax body.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a quick shot at f64. As you can see it's pretty bad. I wouldn't use it unless I want to see how dirty my sensor is Smile

100% crop

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ducdao wrote:
Here is a quick shot at f64. As you can see it's pretty bad. I wouldn't use it unless I want to see how dirty my sensor is Smile

Ewww! Thanks for that. Saves me hanging around for some sunny weather! Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tikkathree wrote:
ducdao wrote:

Ewww! Thanks for that. Saves me hanging around for some sunny weather! Rolling Eyes

You're welcome Smile IQ is pretty good from f4 till f11 though.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ducdao wrote:

This is VERY poor IQ but NOT SO bad for f/64
ANY lens - even the best - at f/64 will be bad

Anyway this is just a marketing gimmick
I remember the 1977/1978 ads howing a fisherman and telling that at f/64 everithing will be true from close to infinity !
because at f/64 for hand-held use you need twice the sun you needs for a 500mm f8 mirror lens ! (1/125 f64= 1/500 f16)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mind posting some more F 64 shots? Id be curious to see something with more background / foreground separation (perhaps something real close to the lens?)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kawasakiguy37 wrote:
mind posting some more F 64 shots? Id be curious to see something with more background / foreground separation (perhaps something real close to the lens?)

Will do, just give me couple days. Shooting at f64 requires extreme bright lightning Smile

Last edited by ducdao on Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ducdao"]
kawasakiguy37 wrote:

Will do, just give me couple days. Shooting at f64 requires extreme bight lightning Smile

Which is why, in England, I don't plan to be trying f/64 any time soon!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok guys, as requested here are few more snaps at f64 but at closer range, approximately 1.5m (the closest distance allowed)

1) ISO 800

2) 100% center crop

3) ISO 200

4) 100% center crop

As you can see the IQ is much better at closer range but still pretty useless to me. I really don't see why would one needs to shoot at f64.

Please note I did not apply any PP. I simply shoot raw then export to JPG at 100% quality through LR3

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for portrait.

shoot at f4 natural light