Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sigma YS System Focusing 135mm f/2.8 Bokeh Defocus Control
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Sigma YS System Focusing 135mm f/2.8 Bokeh Defocus Control Reply with quote

I search for lenses with special bokeh.
My way was normal lenses, some Zeiss primes,
Minolta Rokkor 58mm/1.2 for its smooth bokeh (I was expecting more smoothness),
Meyer Goerlitz Trioplan 100mm/2.8 (great for special soap bubble bokeh),
homemade apodization lens a bit like Sony STF 135.
And now I found my spherical abberation control lens, a bit like the DC Nikkor 105mm/2.0 and 135mm/2.0:

A cheap old Sigma 135mm/2.8 with YS exchangable mount an System Focusing.

This lens has a seperate ring for macro focusing 1:5 to 1:3. This lens sells normal here in Germany for 30 Euro. I got mine much cheaper.

Normaly this lens is not very interesting. I think some like the 1:3 "macro" capability.
I bought this lens because I hoped with this I could influence mainly spherical abberation (partly pure hope, partly some knowledge).
And I am very happy with the results. I can control the quality of the bokeh, and with further turning the macro ring I get glow in the sharp areas.

Here a normal image:

And now with some turning on the macro ring, and re-focussing the lens with the helicoid (and probably extension tubes):

Another test image-pair, first normal, second with glow in the sharp region. It is hard to focus correctly with this glowing highlights. I make many unsharp images. Probably I better focus with closed iris, have to test that after iris repair.

To get more focussing range I do not use the normal YS adapter, but an normal M42 ring that does not screw full in. With a T2 adapter it is to thick. Have to make something better there.

More images with linked high resolution images on my webiste about this Bokeh Control Lens.

We have an old short thread about this lens here: http://forum.mflenses.com/old-sigma-tele-135-2-8-any-info-t24448,highlight,%2Bsigma+%2B135+%2B2+%2B8.html
And images here:
http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/japenese/sigma/sigma_135mm_f2_8/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome presentation! Samples are really convincing. I also have some experience with YS SIGMAs and after you get over initial disappointment with macro (it should be called soft focus) you just might like the lens character. Here link to my
3.5/200mm: http://forum.mflenses.com/sigma-ys-3-5-200mm-no-soft-focus-version-t47667.html
4/200mm: http://forum.mflenses.com/sigma-ys-system-focusing-lenses-t38337,highlight,%2Bsigma.html
2.8/200mm: http://forum.mflenses.com/sigma-ys-2-8-200mm-wide-open-on-5dmkii-t48513,highlight,%2Bsigma+%2Bys+%2B2+%2B8+%2B200mm.html

And soft-focus sample from last:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, these links are good with old documentation.
I like the possibility to make not only normal photos with over corrected spherical abberation and harsh bokeh, but smooth change the shperhical correction. Until some extend with still sharp focus of main object. When I want I can turn the "macro" ring further to get even soft focus.
This is what I searched for - a cheap Nikkor DC alternative to play with spherical abberation.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you gents.
These images are awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had the 200/3.5 of this series for 30 years and I never thought of the other use of this control.
I also thought it was a quite disappointing lens.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
I have had the 200/3.5 of this series for 30 years and I never thought of the other use of this control.
I also thought it was a quite disappointing lens.

Yes, I think the lens is ok for larger distances, but near field seems at my first tests in normal mode disappointing.
But with this additional bokeh forming this lens is much more useful. This is the reason why I first bought a second copy of the lens, in case prices go up.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"This is the reason why I first bought a second copy of the lens, in case prices go up."

Thats planning ! Well done.
I will have to try my 200mm again now.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With my demand for different lenses I have to plan, and try to avoid to have to pay higher prices because of own findings.
Not every time with success :-/

I want to try some extended possibilities with this lens, and because of this I want two copies, just in case.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woww, that's very cool.
Thanks for sharing.

I have the Nikon AF 105 DC (I use Nikon-EOS adapter). Does this lens have same principle with Nikon DC (defocuse control)?

When I set the Nikon to the extreme super-creamy bokeh setting, the object in the focus plane is not sharp (glowy). Same thing if I set to the extreme harsh bokeh setting, the bokeh will be like Trioplan ring bokeh and the object is not sharp either.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I just checked the image sample on your blog.

http://www.4photos.de/test/Sperical-Abberation.jpg

I think this lens has the same principle with the Nikon, but a lot cheaper & affordable Smile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixland wrote:
Oh, I just checked the image sample on your blog.

http://www.4photos.de/test/Sperical-Abberation.jpg

I think this lens has the same principle with the Nikon, but a lot cheaper & affordable Smile

More or less its is the same principle, but I do not know the DC Nikkor details. But the Nikkor is a f-stop faster, what gives a big extra in possibilities.
The Sigma 135/2.8 has normal only a bit spherical overcorrection, so no Trioplan substitute. But the spherical correction of the Sigma 135mm f/2.8 can be extended.

Thank you for your opinion as a Nikkor DC user!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Sigma YS System Focusing 135mm f/2.8 Bokeh Defocus Contr Reply with quote

ZoneV wrote:

This lens has a seperate ring for macro focusing 1:5 to 1:3. This lens sells normal here in Germany for 30 Euro. I got mine much cheaper.

Hi,
I got this lens some days ago, however, I am unable to get it to 1:3. Is there a special trick or is the lens maybe just stuck?
Maybe this second ring is stuck, is it the upper one, just before the end of the lens?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the effect on the branch shot is really good!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Sigma YS System Focusing 135mm f/2.8 Bokeh Defocus Contr Reply with quote

Miles Teg wrote:
ZoneV wrote:

Hi,
I got this lens some days ago, however, I am unable to get it to 1:3. Is there a special trick or is the lens maybe just stuck?
Maybe this second ring is stuck, is it the upper one, just before the end of the lens?

I have exactly the same problem. I got the lens cheap for the YS adapter.
The lens is stuck to, barely, 1:5, and the "macro" ring is turning without any effect.
I suspected it but now I have understood that my lens is broken. (the diaphragm is also stuck)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least on my here used Sigma YS 135/2.8 the iris is stuck too. Don´t know at the moment about the second copy I have.
Cause I don´t have the second unmodified here, I can not tell wheter the macro focussing ring move in all distances - i think there is a stop screw inside to prevent this.
At least a closest distance on normal focussing ring it should move.

Probably I can look at the unmodified one next days.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I'm able to reach the 1:3 macro reproduction ratio by piching the macro ring and the filter ring between my fingers. The glass is close.
and :
ZoneV wrote:
(...)i think there is a stop screw inside to prevent this.(...)
the answer is yes.
I have now to try this bokeh defocus control. (wide open).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have the extension tubes at hand?
It is a bit of work to focus, control bokeh, try to refocus and take some extension tube.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoneV wrote:
You have the extension tubes at hand?
It is a bit of work to focus, control bokeh, try to refocus and take some extension tube.

Yes I have. I understand that it takes patience. (not my best quality Wink