Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sigma Protel YS
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:09 am    Post subject: Sigma Protel YS Reply with quote

I just won this auction Click here to see on Ebay. Again this is a puzzle. Some spots, unknown condition. No information about it. Lens suppose to be fast F2.8, possible fungus because body of the lens is in good cosmetic condition. Looks like it is. I am paying over $50 - at least YS adapter for Canon is worth some money. We will see. All lenses with YS mount which I bought are very good. Maybe this time too?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Voytek,

I think its listed here - Old Sigma catalog, 1975-77

http://forum.xitek.com/showarchives.php?threadid=366376

6 elements, 5 groups.

It has the strange Sigma double focus - I think a main helical and a front-element focus. I have a slightly later Sigma 200/3.5 like that.

Sigma seems to have sold versions of these super-lumen lenses - 135/1.8, 200/2.8, 300/4 - without the weird focus but with the YS-mount under other brands like "Upsilon", and also sold them to traders.

These are not common lenses in the US for sure. You got lucky I think.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that link. ....I still have that Sigma 80-200 F3.5 zoom in Konica mount...It goes to 1/2 life size. I wasn't aware that the YS mount is compatible with the T Mount system....Yeah, I'll be able to mount this on my Nikon D70s...Sweet....I used to have the 24mm Filtermatic in Minolta mount years ago...It was stolen back in 1980... The zoom is one heavy beast though...It still works fine although I haven't used it in years & it doesn't have a tripod mount...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voytek,
I tried out my old Sigma YS 80-200 F3.5 zoom after I swapped the YS mount with a T mount & I'm not impressed with the results at all...Very soft & lacking in contrast. Hope yours turns out to be better...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got that lens, with a non-AI Nikon YS mount.

It's an average lens. Low contrast, a bit soft wide open, pretty sharp by f5.6.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a photo of the Sigma 80-200 F3.5 that i took earlier. The original Konica YS mount is next to the lens....This lens is still in pristine condition....BTW, I re-shot some photos @ F8 & they were sharper, still too soft for my liking... Sad

[/img]