Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sigma Miniwide II 28mm f/1:2.8 Macro... Not so bad!!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Sigma Miniwide II 28mm f/1:2.8 Macro... Not so bad!! Reply with quote

This lens has been deprecated many times, but my feeling it's not so bad.
I got mine from Andy, (thanks, Andy!) quite long ago.
I've used it many times, but this time I wanted to try it with the Olympus E-620.

Taking profit of these few holidays I've taken before the end of the year, I decided to test it today.

Here you have some samples:

1. At F/2.8 DOF is short as it should be expected. (The right side of the picture is well focused)

2. Good sharpness as soon as the lens aperture is closed down.

3. Not a bad bokeh, (against clear or dark backgrounds)

4. I would'nt say it's a macro lens, but the close focus of 22cm is nice for some close approximation:

In summary, not so bad lens to my taste.
Regards,

Jes.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for sharing. Looks very nice. I recently bought the 24mm 2.8 Super Wide II. Did some testshooting yesterday inside and it also looks very nice. Close focus to 18cm. I'm not very good in manual focussing at the moment, as I'm used to AF. Wink
Will test it out soon more thoroughly.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DikkieDick wrote:
Thanx for sharing. Looks very nice. I recently bought the 24mm 2.8 Super Wide II. Did some testshooting yesterday inside and it also looks very nice. Close focus to 18cm. I'm not very good in manual focussing at the moment, as I'm used to AF. Wink
Will test it out soon more thoroughly.

Focusing with the E-620 is very straightforward with the Live-view function. The big LCD helps a lot.

The 24mm SuperWide II is a similar concept. Good luck!.

Jes.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill has a Mini Wide and swears by it more often than at it...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a bad lens at all, the build quality of the old sigmas isn't quite up to scratch sometimes but there are some good performers out there.

Unfortunately this lens seems to be going for more and more money on ebay, it's unusual how certain old lenses seem to fetch so much, the problem I suppose is sites like this where people can find out how good a lens is but if it were not for sites like this I would not know which lenses to buy either!

I wish to god I could find those boot sales and second hand shops other posters find that sell lenses for £1 or £3 but none of them seem to exist where I live.

The local oxfam recently had a helios 44-2 for sale at £18 and the second hand shop near where I work has a Vivitar S1 zoom for £35!

As for the Sigma....

Click here to see on Ebay

For that kind of price I would at least want the hood to be included!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have and use this lens. It's pretty good.

Russ