Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sigma f2.8/19mm in Saigon
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Sigma f2.8/19mm in Saigon Reply with quote

Just received this AF lens and took it for a walk around China town in Saigon. So far I am very pleased, it seems to do exactly what I have been hoping. It's sharp, it's AF seems fast and precise enough and on the NEX for me it has, which was main reason of the purchase, the ideal focal lengths for the street
all taken on Sony NEX5N

Untitled by Andreas, on Flickr

this post had been edited to put the photos seen above.
bellows 'x' stand for the photos that had been originally posted, but they got lost.
the order of the photos above now is not the same as the original order, answers referring to a particular pic by number isn't correct. I left the 'x's as they may enable me to later edit to put them in the same order as was done originally

that's already quite a few, but I had taken many more, here it's set:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuan/sets/72157634535992586/with/9244036495/

cheers,
best greetings, andreas

Last edited by kuuan on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:42 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree, it's a great lens for street and I love the complete set of photo, most of all the ones with the working and relaxing guys

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice photographs and you captured the Vietnamese city environment exceptionally well.

Lens looks good too.

One thing that stood out to me were the guys in the workshop. They were wearing thongs (flip flops) and sandals. That sort of thing would never be allowed here in Australia. Thirty years ago it would have accepted but not now.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well done Andreas!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great series, #3 is best for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to chose a favorite Andreas.
Like them all.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
Like them all.

+1
yes, very nice captures.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, some great photos, Andy! Well done!

And I agree, this lens is amazing, esp. if we consider the price you can get it for! Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great social photography. I like them all.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent photos, all of them. Much better than what I've managed so far with my copy. But then again I don't live in such an interesting place. Wink And I agree with everyone else here who say what an amazing lens this is. And especially considering the price. I still can't beleive you can buy such a good lens new for so little money. I paid ~85€ for the old version.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick1779 wrote:
I totally agree, it's a great lens for street and I love the complete set of photo, most of all the ones with the working and relaxing guys

thank's Rick, it's a great area for taking photos and I am very satisfied at how the Sigma performed Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

parabellumfoto wrote:
Really nice photographs and you captured the Vietnamese city environment exceptionally well.

Lens looks good too.

One thing that stood out to me were the guys in the workshop. They were wearing thongs (flip flops) and sandals. That sort of thing would never be allowed here in Australia. Thirty years ago it would have accepted but not now.

thank you!

I must say that I better should have clarified that this is two blocks in China town where metal shops are located and where specially small, some poor and old houses can be found. Even more typical of China town in Saigon would be bigger avenues with many red and golden street signs in Chinese characters, colorful pagodas or markets. China town in Saigon covers a very big area and is very divers!

wow, 30 years ago you still could do such work with sandals on in Australia? I am sure not so in Austria, and you would need some hair net too

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Very well done Andreas!

thank's Klaus Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhargav wrote:
Great series, #3 is best for me.

thank's!
haha, yeah, great kids Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
Like them all.

thank you very much! It's such a great area to take pics, and the Sigma makes is very easy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoanpham wrote:
Himself wrote:
Like them all.

+1
yes, very nice captures.

thank you very much Hoan!
I must mention that the area I took these photos, though it is typical in many ways at the same time it is not really representative. E.g. some may think it is dirty there and this area maybe is more so than others, after all they are selling heavy metals there and there are many workshops cutting, trimming irons. The one pic with the woman cleaning rubbish is not to show that it is dirty there, there were market stalls selling food and this is cleaning up after the market had closed. Saigon is really special in this sense: In most places rubbish is simply dropped, but there are countless workers cleaning the streets making Saigon rather clean in most parts

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Once again, some great photos, Andy! Well done!

And I agree, this lens is amazing, esp. if we consider the price you can get it for! Shocked

thank you Carsten Smile

yep, paid about 100 usd for it. Don't even want to know the prices of the Leica alternatives, Voigtlaender f4/21mm would cost four times minimum, the f1.8/21 sure would be great, but that sets one back well over 1000!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skida wrote:
Great social photography. I like them all.

thank's a lot Skida!
after finishing replying to comments I may add some more from that day, it was a great day to take pics because I was not alone but with a friend who took photos too, that made it much easier.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miran wrote:
Excellent photos, all of them. Much better than what I've managed so far with my copy. But then again I don't live in such an interesting place. Wink And I agree with everyone else here who say what an amazing lens this is. And especially considering the price. I still can't beleive you can buy such a good lens new for so little money. I paid ~85€ for the old version.

thank you very much Miram!
yes, this is a very interesting place with endless opportunities for street photography! But I am sure that you can find great places for street photography near to your place too, imo the most common vies of a place are often very telling and 'spectacular' for someone from a different culture.

yes, I paid even a bit less for mine, it's the old version too!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks as if you guys like these pics, therefore a few more from that day, no particular order, around the 'heavy metal area' of China town in Saigon:

cheers, best greetings from Saigon, andreas

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omar wrote:
Great series of pictures. Good lens and great photographer.

thank's a lot Omar Smile
good lens for sure, and hopefully slowly improving photographer Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

children shot are great, I like very much also the one with grandma and child
Great work!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi kuuan

I know this is an old post but could you post your photos back into it? I missed it the first time round and would really like to see what this lens is capable of!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ed,

It honors me that you are thinking that my samples could be indicative of the lens performance. Actually I only had used it rarely, once in Saigon, just after I had received it, and another time in Nepal, during a local festival. I shall try to re-post the photos as originally shown, but I won't find the time for that before some 48 hours from now. In the meantime you could see all the photos taken in Saigon that had been posted here, and those from Nepal and a few more, all photos I have taken with the 2.8/19 Sigma, here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuan/albums/72157634535992586

cheers, andreas

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
Hi kuuan

I know this is an old post but could you post your photos back into it? I missed it the first time round and would really like to see what this lens is capable of!

Ed I put some photos up now, but right now I have not access t the files on my computer to see their filenames and therefore have no way to put them in the same order as originally shown, I may be able to do that later

here search result for this lens on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=sigma%202.8%2019mm&view_all=1