Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sigma DP1 modification - Chinese translation help needed
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:45 pm    Post subject: Sigma DP1 modification - Chinese translation help needed Reply with quote

Hi folks

I picked up a mint Sigma DP1 for 32ukp.

Only issue is the lens extends all the way to closest focus and won't move.

No issue for me though as I am going to take it apart, remove the IR filter and lens and put a NEX mount on it so I can use all my NEX adapters and utilise my entire lens collection.

Not an original idea, someone in China put an M-mount on their DP1:

Here is the modder's thread on a Chinese forum:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.xitek.com%2Fshowthread.php%3Fthreadid%3D813398&anno=2

Sadly I don't read Chinese and Google translate turns it into gibberish so I have no idea if the modder had to do some firmware hacking to get the camera to work after removing the lens.

Any of our Chinese members able to help me out here and read that thread and tell me of any key details and problems the modder ran into?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, I have Chinese dictionaries, but it would probably take me a week to translate it. My wife is Chinese, though, and I can probably get her to help. She will be home in about an hour and a half, and I'll ask her about it then. Only problem might be, if this guy's from China, then he'll be using Simplified Chinese. She's from Taiwan and she read Traditional Chinese. She can make out Simplified, but she hates it. Says they've all gotten lazy over there. Cool

Is there a bablefish for Chinese?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google Translate does turn it into English but it doesn't make a whole deal of sense.

It is in Simplified Chinese according to Google.

I don't understand how Chinese can have over 2,600 characters, 26 is enough to make English difficult enough!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, Chinese has over 10,000 characters. 2600 and you're barely fluent. Cool

The basic difference between the two orthographies is that English -- and many other languages -- uses an alphabet. Some languages, like Japanese, for example, use syllabaries. (Even though Japanese uses Chinese characters the same way Chinese does, it also has two 46-character syllabaries, that are used for "spelling" words using syllables.) But in Chinese, each character has a specific meaning, usually corresponding to a word or thought, and often it requires the combination of two or more of these characters to refine the meaning of the word or thought being expressed. The disadvantage to Chinese is it takes a long time to learn it, but the advantage to it is that most all Chinese readers are speed readers. Their minds are taking pictures of entire words/concepts, rather than having to spell them out, the way we do.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just took a look at that link in Chinese. That's a big link. I can ask her to translate, but I don't think she's gonna want to bother. Actually, her written English is not the greatest, so it will be a team effort -- her and me both -- and it will take hours.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see any firmware hacking things in the first link. The modder did ask if there is 500 members who want to covert their cam to Lecia M mount so the modder can make the mount/circuits which need to convert the cam. He also warn that members don't open their DP1 as the remove of the IR filter is not a simple task.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Calvin, I wondered what those long lists of usernames were for.

I have a PDF with detailed instructions of how to remove the IR filter, doesn't look too bad.

Hmm, circuits, I wonder if some extra circuitry was needed to make the camera work without the fixed lens?

Or maybe he is referring to one of these cables?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1x-lens-shutter-flex-cable-SIGMA-DP1-DP-1-repair-part-/160672579290?pt=Digital_Camera_Accessories&hash=item2568d4feda#ht_3688wt_1396

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, why don't you buy the replacement cable ofered on some Chinese forums? It's a very simple mod that keeps the lens extended at all times, but makes the camera think the lens is moving. The 28mm on the DP1 is pretty good, and as stated above you don't want to mess with the Sigma IR filters: the Foveon sensor already has problems of its own with color casts etc., they will only get worse if you start tinkering with its filter. Apart from the electronic mods involved.

My suggestion is: fix it, and enjoy one of the really great compacts you got for a song.

Edit: this is the cable I'm talking about

http://translate.google.ca/translate?sl=zh-CN&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.x3-club.com%2Fviewthread.php%3Ftid%3D9061

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the dp1 specifically to remove the filter so I can shoot IR with it.

That cable is the one I listed in my prior post.

Why limit myself to one Sigma lens of only decent quality when I could use all my superb Konica glass?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Cheers Calvin, I wondered what those long lists of usernames were for.

I have a PDF with detailed instructions of how to remove the IR filter, doesn't look too bad.

Hmm, circuits, I wonder if some extra circuitry was needed to make the camera work without the fixed lens?

Or maybe he is referring to one of these cables?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1x-lens-shutter-flex-cable-SIGMA-DP1-DP-1-repair-part-/160672579290?pt=Digital_Camera_Accessories&hash=item2568d4feda#ht_3688wt_1396

It seems the modder want to add an mechanical shutter into the DP1 as he have mentioned the electronic shutter cannot be used under sunlight.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's strange, I wonder if that is because he removed the lens? Plenty of people have removed the IR filter and it still works in sunlight.

I wonder what's special/different about the fixed lens that would make it work with the electronic shutter?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure my translation is accurate. You may have to confirm the details yourself or ask someone else.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Calvin, I very much appreciate your help.