Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sigma 600 mirror
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Five Star 500/8 (non-mirror)

1/40, ISO 100, F11, Sony A77mkII

No PP, only crop, jpeg straight from the camera.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ Excellent results!! That's a great lens.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But this is the 4th copy I have.
I had them in Spiratone, Soligor, Rokinon brand. This "Five star" one turned out to be the best performer.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting the focus is tricky with this thing.
All these great moon shots inspired me to have another go tonight.
Had a couple of goes to get the focus.
I've adjusted exposure and contrast a bit but thats all.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeardsareBest, is that shot of yours from a Sigma 600? It looks to me like you managed to get it into sharp focus.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes this is with the Sigma. Smile
That Five star unit looks like a pretty good performer as well Curious One.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[BeardsAreBest]
A brilliant result from your Sigma! Your's is definitely getting a bit better resolution than mine. Been comparing the Sigma and Tamron these past two evenings.
My Sigma can't match the Tamron, but yours can. I noticed a bit of CA from my Sigma (red and blue edges at Moon's perimeter.) and suspect it's a slight decentering of the rear lens element(s).

I definitely like capturing partial phases instead of the Full Moon. So much more detail!

My best Sigma result to date, two days ago.
DSC06211b_Sigma 600mm f8 by wNG 555, on Flickr

Compared to the Tamron about 2 hours later.

DSC06248a_Tamron SP 500mm f8 55BB by wNG 555, on Flickr

Last night's result with the Tamron, before clouds ended the fun and didn't give the Sigma a try...

DSC06297a_Tamron SP 500mm f/8 55BB by wNG 555, on Flickr

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Sigma will be here in next week, so I'll join the "competition". It comes in FD mount, so I'll have to mod it. Anyone have close-up photos of how it's rear part is constructed, so I can prepare?

btw, wish we all have lens with such magnification:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CuriousOne, when you get your Sigma, you'll see how Sigma sort of duplicated the look and some of the feel of the New FD mount, while having it continue to operate as a breechlock mount. It's easier just to give you a heads-up about it than it is to try and describe it. Quite clever, I've always thought.

But ultimately it's stilll just a breechlock mount. However, unlike other breechlock mounts, I believe where you start the dismantling process is with the back plate. there will be four or five screws holding it in place. From that point forward, conversion to EOS will be pretty much the same as any other FD mount lens, I'm guessing. That is, if you''re planning to convert to EOS. Any other adaptations, I haven't a clue as to how to proceed.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CuriousOne wrote:
My Sigma will be here in next week, so I'll join the "competition". It comes in FD mount, so I'll have to mod it. Anyone have close-up photos of how it's rear part is constructed, so I can prepare?

btw, wish we all have lens with such magnification:

Heheh! There is no competition (at least for me), just mutual admiration!

That's quite detailed and clear, I can only imagine the XXXXmm equivalent of that magnification.
Problem with such high magnification here in the desert, the heated air ripples the image and defeats the purpose.
Must get to a colder elevation in the winter months to avoid it.

I notice the rear of the older version has 3 visible screws whereas the later one doesn't, and it has a rotating Filtermatic light leakage cover.
As for the mount, mine is Minolta SR, and its attached with 5 small screws. There is a black plastic spacer between the bayonet plate and rear body. Sorry if it's not much help.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've googled a bit more and found that there was anoter monster mirror lens from Sigma - 500mm F4. But no sample photos to be found, anyone used that behemoth?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CuriousOne wrote:
I've googled a bit more and found that there was anoter monster mirror lens from Sigma - 500mm F4. But no sample photos to be found, anyone used that behemoth?

http://forum.mflenses.com/sigma-mirror-ultratelephoto-500mm-f-4-t38390.html

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

too bad that most lens samples here are macros, flowers, close-ups, etc. Very rarely portraits, cityscapes or any other shots that will demonstrate real world usage of the lens. Maybe this forum should be renamed to "macroflowers only" forum? Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's quite a jump in size! But it's still only a 500mm focal length.

This Sigma is too, but it's a biggie! Smile

http://petapixel.com/2011/09/20/hilarious-customer-reviews-for-the-sigma-200-500mm-lens-on-amazon/

But this is one is a BIG mirror... Very Happy

http://petapixel.com/2015/04/27/massive-2540mm-f8-nasa-lens-shows-up-on-ebay/

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't forgive myself. I had 600mm telescope mirror, and I GAVE IT AWAY FOR FREE.

I already manufactured FD<>M42 adapter and even equipped it with 2x APO teleconverter (removed from junked Minolta AF 2x teleconverter ) can't wait for my Sigma to arrive Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over at the Tamron 55BB thread I began recently I posted an image of the moon I shot a few days ago with my Sigma 600, showing the sort of results I was getting with it. Not good. Well, today, I remembered a routine I don't often use in my processing software, and I was amazed by the amount it cleaned up the image. So even though the original image was very soft, the detail was still there. It just had to be brought out. So here's an example of before and after. The "Before" shot was with no image processing, except reduction to be shown here, and the "After" image is one that I've put through a series of PP steps. I think the difference between the two is remarkable. But I still wish my Sigma was naturally as good as the ones that some of you guys have.

Before:

After:

By the way, over in the Tamron 55BB thread, WNG555 posted a link to a site that shows how to check the collimation of a mirror scope or lens. This is the site:

http://www.mira.org/ascc/pages/lectures/collim.htm

I used it with my Sigma 600, and it isn't as easy as they make it out to be. But at first it looked as if the lens was indeed out of collimation, so I dismantled it to see if there were any obvious adjustments at all. There weren't any. I didn't remove the rings holding the elements in place because it's been my experience that an element sits in its receptacle in one position only and there is no adjustment possible. So for this reason, I didn't loosen or remove any glass. So anyway, I put it back together and checked the collimation a little more closely, under a little better light, and this time, everything lined up the way it's supposed to. So if my Sigma is out of collimation, it is by a very, very small amount. So whatever the problem is with it, it isn't collimation. The glass is spotless. No haze, fungus, dust or anything else. So maybe it's something like the original uncorrected optics on the Hubble Space Telescope. Remember that? It was nearsighted, or something similar because of a mistake in the way the mirror was ground, and NASA ended up having to send up a crew to install a set of corrective lenses so that it could "see" normally. I wonder if something similar may be going on with this lens. Perhaps the mirror was ground just a bit off. Possible, I suppose. A good mirror is ground to within angstroms of being the correct shape.

Last edited by cooltouch on Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dramatic before and after...nice job pulling out so much detail.

Too bad that link wasn't more helpful.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've talked to a senior lens maker about such problems with mirror lenses. He said, most likely this is mirror defect - wear of device spares used to make mirror, so it's shape not properly parabolic. He said, by introducing a large compensating optical element in front of mirror will correct the problem, but it will be heavy and cost will diminish all usability of mirror lens. So, speaking shortly - you can't do anything. Let's see how my sigma lottery will work out Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CuriousOne, your mirror lens expert pretty much confirmed what I already thought. Wear on the machines used to make the optics. If they no longer hold tight tolerances, then they will produce inferior products unless watched very closely. Thus some lenses are great and some are not -- from the same time period of manufacture.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WNG555 wrote:
Dramatic before and after...nice job pulling out so much detail.

Thanks, yes, I was gratified that I could pull out so much detail. But I couldn't get rid of the halo completely, which I find annoying.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Sigma was stopped by customs Very Happy
Seller does not included invoice, and my ebay invoice was not accepted, since it can't be an evidence, so I need to get bank report that I actually paid $51 for it Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes
Customs...don't you just love them...must take their pound of flesh from everyone.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The battle continues, they said that OK, I've paid $51, but lens will be sent to "expertise" to determine, whenever it was really used, as seller described, or we were just altered description to avoid taxes.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez, what do those clowns think they have? A solid gold lens or something? The price for a Sigma 600 is easy enough to determine and all the $51 represents is he got it for a good deal!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they should learn from Austrian customs. If something is unclear you have to tell them the *bay number of the item even by phone and they look it up themselves to check the real selling price. For used items in such a low category they wouldn't care at all. It's not even taxable when below 150 Euro (if I recall it rightly). To buy goods the U.S. are far better but obviously for imports we have less problems here. Wink