Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in
Sigma 30mm 2.8 or Minolta MC/MD+Focal reducer???
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject: Sigma 30mm 2.8 or Minolta MC/MD+Focal reducer??? Reply with quote

Dear Experts,
I am using a Sony A6000 body with both the Sony SEL50/1.8 and a Minolta 50/1.7. I am happy with the results of both lenses, but I am looking for a bit of wider angle to be used for indoor family shots (low light).
Which one you suggest me to go with:
- Sigma E mount AF 30mm 2.8 DN ($150 USD, used).
- A Focal reducer for my Minolta 50 mm (1.7 & 1.4) ($100-150 USD).
The ease of Sigma AF is quite interesting, specially for taking photos of kids playing and for some people who are not patient enough. However, with the focal reducer, I was wondering of having a faster lens and shallower DOF with creamy bokeh for portraits, and more fun to play with.

Which one do you find better for indoor shots?
Any general advice will be much appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go for the sigma, is a great small lens! I regret to have sold mine when i switched to a7

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick1779 wrote:
go for the sigma, is a great small lens! I regret to have sold mine when i switched to a7

So, you believe that it's a good performer for my application?? (indoor group shots).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick1779 wrote:

I agree, a great little lens for little money. So too are the 19mm and 60mm from the same series.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're after sharpness and contrast and generally top image quality, go for the Sigma. However autofocus performance will be so-so and for manual focus it can't even begin to compare to any old manual focus lens. And the difference in DOF and light gathering ability will be huge. A 50/1.4 with a 0.7 focal reducer will be close to 35/1.0, so around 3 stops faster than the 30/2.8. That's the difference between ISO400 and ISO3200 for example. But then again using the 50/1.4 wide open will only work for individual portraits and even then DOF will be tiny. For group shots you'll be better served with the 30/2.8 and a flash. Bottom line: Sigma 30/2.8 for general purpose shooting and top image quality, 50/1.4 + focal reducer for special purposes (min DOF individual portraits) and "artistic" image quality.