Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sigma 100mm f2,8 macro, what is it worth ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Sigma 100mm f2,8 macro, what is it worth ? Reply with quote

I've seen one on the Bay, keeping an eye on it if the price is not skyrocketing.

Anyone knows something about the quality of that lens ? A Google search gave no interesting result.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never seen any bad macro lens, they are top of the line from any maker.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please let we know some test result when you get it!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Please let we know some test result when you get it!

I'll sure do !

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got this in the mail :

(sorry, I'm still at work, quick and dirty picture made with a Samsung P&S).

God, this thing is HUGE .... look at the size, compared to the AAA battery ! And heavy, 700 grs. Old solid lens !

The lens is mint, not a scratch, clean glass ... It is fitted with a YS mount which is Sigma's better version of the T2 mount (and compatible). That's good news because I have a T2 in K-mount at home.

It goes to 1:1 reproduction ratio without any additionnal lens.

I'm now impatient to test it. More pictures to come in the following days ! Let's hope we'll have some sunny moments this weekend.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats Jieffe, you won a big one!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a whopper!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never saw one before. Cant wait to see the results.

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These YS Sigma lenses are pretty rare I have a 200mm f3.5 that is crap. I believe this macro will be a jackpot I can't wait for your test shoots.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
These YS Sigma lenses are pretty rare I have a 200mm f3.5 that is crap. I believe this macro will be a jackpot I can't wait for your test shoots.

At last, I got time to do some pics this weekend ...

I'm puzzled Confused In non-macro mode, the results are nice (f:5.6) :

Also good in macro, as long as you don't go higher then a 1/3 reproduction ratio :

Now comes the bad news ... 1/1 reproduction ratio is useless at high aperture :
f:2.8

f:22

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens is disappointed to me, I expected better quality even at wide open. Flower shoot is superb, I really like it. Seems this lens is a good "normal" lens not really macro lens.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience - even with nikkors - is that "macro" on a zoom is no good. Sigma's own macro lenses (50, 105 and 150) are all very decent performers. I have heard of a 90 but have no experience. That macro shot doesn't hack it.

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
This lens is disappointed to me, I expected better quality even at wide open. Flower shoot is superb, I really like it. Seems this lens is a good "normal" lens not really macro lens.

Yes, just what I though ... Very hard to focus at high reproduction ratio, just useless for handheld 1:1 macro ...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
My experience - even with nikkors - is that "macro" on a zoom is no good. Sigma's own macro lenses (50, 105 and 150) are all very decent performers. I have heard of a 90 but have no experience. That macro shot doesn't hack it.

The sad thing is that it is not even a zoom, that's a fixed 100mm lens Sad

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a shame - it does look nice enough as a standard 100mm, and as a fairly close focus lens on the positive side...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A prime? Definitely not up to par. I have a Kiron zoom with macro that is far superior in macro and straight modes. It's the 28- 85 and can be found fairly cheaply, although also reasonably rare. The other great option (and one of Attila's favourites is the nikkor 55/3,5 micro. Needs an extension to go to 1:1, but is deadly sharp.

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early 55mm f3.5 Nikor has built-in macro 1:1!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very old thread, but let's see. Did you realise there is a secondary focusing ring in macro mode which has to be adjusted ? Otherwise you'll get exactly the pics you describe.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

This is a ~1975 lens and sigma lenses of that period are beetween average and crap

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never come across An old sigma lens that didn't have problems such as sticky blades, stiff focus or fungus. I just don't like the build quality.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PBFACTS wrote:
Attila wrote:

This is a ~1975 lens and sigma lenses of that period are beetween average and crap

Feels like so, although the build quality is really good, a little clumsy. My copy has haze on the rear element. Have yet started to clean it.