Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Shopping in Warsaw?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: Shopping in Warsaw? Reply with quote

Hello,

I am at a conference in Warsaw next week. Are there any shops or fleamarkets I should visit to feed my LBA?

Any hints and recommendations are more than welcome. Very Happy

Thanks,
Nima

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There used to be a great fleamarket in the old Football Stadium on the Praga side of the Vistula, called 'Stadion', you could buy anything there but I'm not sure if it is still going as the area was going to be developed. Its easy enough to find its next to the Poniatowski Bridge and opposite Rydz-Smigly Park, hopefully some of our Polish friends can help more Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can try to get some tips for you, however I am living in US and have no friends in Warsaw. I will make a try.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh i'm abroad as well, to be honest i was only to Warsaw for touristing.

sorry i can't help. though you could do fine deals maybe. good luck

silly me ! i've just made a internet search for shops n there : here's the list

link

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nima, when are you leaving to Poland. I have some addresses including wholesalers but it is to late there (7 hours difference) and I can't call there. Monday only.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

thank you everyone for you answers and help. I will go on Wednesday and stay till Sunday. Will not have too much time because I am attending a conference.
Voytek thank you as well but I think it is not worth the hassle to call people as I do not know whether I will have definately have time to visit the shop.

Regards,
Nima

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nima, type http://www.zumi.pl/namapie.html?qt=aparat+fotograficzny&loc=Warszawa&Submit=Szukaj
You will get a list of stores/services/resale in Warsaw. This is in Polish but you can get easy the name, address, and phone #. Most of this places are closed Saturday and Sunday.
There is no more flea market by Stadium Dziesieciolecia, but Sundays morning and early afternoon you can get to indoor photo and electronics flea market located in Stodola - student's club associated with Politechnika Warszawska (Technical University of Warsaw), type http://www.stodola.pl/klub/?sub=lokalizacja. Sorry, no English version of the driving directions. Below the map you have information:
autobusy - buses
tramwaje - streetcar, tram, trolley
autobusy nocne - night buses
To get detailed map type in Google Maps
Stodola ul. Batorego 10, Warszawa, Poland Europe
The phone # there is (22) 8258625

Some tips when you buy photo gear.
All items made before 1945 are classified as vintage by Custom but usually they don't pay any attention to second hand items.
You can get pretty cheap manual lenses, special in non bayonet mounts
Look for Zeiss, russians - could be sometimes pretty cheap.
Never pay first asked price, show your knowledge, hide lack of knowledge. To get information about prices level go to http://www.allegro.pl/ in the window marked "Szukaj przedmiotu" - search for item - type aparaty fotograficzne (cameras), the same - type obiektyw (lens) or search by brand eg canon, nikon etc
Try to get at beginning 20-30% discount, don't buy at once - return later and ask again before you leave place. Never show all your money.
Buy a "lot" not single items, you will get discount for sure.
Don't pay in foreign currency - in polish zlotys only.

Having Visa, MC check card you can get better rate from ATM compare to Currency Exchange, but you have to use debit card and PIN. Use bank's ATM indoor only. No street, gas station ones. Stay safe. Check with your bank how much they will charge you if for cash advance from your account - abroad.
Fly safe & have a nice time in Poland.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just heard from my friend in Warsaw, Voytek is right Stadion market is now closed, but apparently there is a really good one called Wolumen that is worth a look, have a good trip anyway Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much guys. I am heading to Warsaw today, will write when I come back next week.

Bye
Nima Smile