Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

sharp wide open 135mm under 50 euros?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: sharp wide open 135mm under 50 euros? Reply with quote

hello, I'm unfortunately able to buy expansive lenses. I wish to buy a 135mm which is fast (f2.Cool and enough sharp wide open.

I saw two lenses: "Pentacon prakticar MC 135mm 1:2. 8 " price is about 45 delivered.

here is a photo
http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20169/6603__57_2.jpg

and I saw the "AUTO Super Paragon PMC 135mm 1:2. 8 " price is avout 32 euro delivered.

here is a photo
http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20169/6603__5_2.jpg

my priority is the use of the lens at wide open because I will mount it on my 7D and I wish to cover the chance to record videos in dark areas.

is one of this offers a good buy? or there is another model of lenses that is better to look for?

thx a lot for your advices,

Dan

Last edited by greenbeens on Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:42 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might offer you Revuenon-Special 135, Soligor 135 etc. in either good or serviced condition if you want to (drop me a line into PM in case of interest)

Marek

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Super Paragon is the same as this -

then its a decent lens, I've had this a long time and used it on a Pentax K10 and Sony A6000. Both cameras obviously have crop sensors so I don't know for certain what the edges are like, but my view of this lens is that it's decently sharp and the CA is pretty good. I have got better 135's, but this one is certainly one of the best.
This lens is made by Cimko, 'Super Paragon' is the house brand of the old Photax chain of camera stores, and I think they chose the lenses they bought in on quality rather than cheapness. Every Paragon I've had has been above average, but not absolutely 1st class.
The way to identify the Cimko lens is the unequal diamond for the focusing mark, it's usually green but I have seen red as well.

I have a Mamiya Sekor 135 / 2.8 lens that I believe is a Tokina made lens for sale, it's new old stock and in unused condition. It's a nice sharp lens and I have the same lens with Soligor brand.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can look for one of these. The Komine made lenses (S/N 28XXXX) were made in different mounts.

http://forum.mflenses.com/vivitar-komine-f-2-8-135mm-konica-ar-mount-t75861.html

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx to you all!

may you tell me if there is some lenses in this list made with thorium dioxide please (radioactive)? I wish to avoid it.

Super Paragon 135mm, Pentacon 135mm (first and second gen), Mamiya Sekor 135mm, Vivitar (Komine) 135mm, Revuenon-Special 135mm.

I wish also to ask please wich are the sharpest at f2.8 considering the <50 euro budget?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used the Pentacon. With sonnar optics. Maybe not quite as sharp at 2.8 as others, however that can be a desirable characteristic, a design feature rather than a defect... I would also say the performance stopped down a little is much better than those other non-sonnar designs. Sonnar bokek and drawing characteristics are well known...

There are many many Vivitar variations, some better than others...

What kinds of in the "dark" video -- of still subjects, moving animals at daybreak & dusk, non-moon-astro? If for Astro, 135mm may be too long to use on non-tracking tripod...

A 135/3.5 Takumar in M42 mount usn't much slower, is very sharp from wide open, there are preset models good for video due to continuous aperture control, the cost is low. Super- models have better coatings, with the Super-Multi-Coating being the best in M42 mount.

Last edited by visualopsins on Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:46 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are plenty of good 135/2.8 lenses but one important thing is you have to choose a good copy, otherwise they can be bad even though the lens has good reputation. Aside from the above mentioned lenses, maybe you can take a look at this store on ebay (http://www.ebay.com/usr/x23x). I don't know this guy and didn't buy any lens from him but he mostly included sample photos and offers reasonable prices. With his high feedback rating I think these photos show accurately lens quality. There are few 135mm lenses there which are very tempting.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yashica DSB 135mm f/2.8 is my pick for 50$ budget for canon DSLR ! sharp wide open and good color rendering too. the only downside is lack of contrast.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Lloyd]....,.,,,,,,,,,
I have a Mamiya Sekor 135 / 2.8 lens that I believe is a Tokina made lens for sale, it's new old stock and in unused condition. It's a nice sharp lens and I have the same lens with Soligor brand.[/quote]

Which versión do you have?

Dt, Dtl or Sx?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Pentacon 135/2.8 is pretty good from wide open, about on par with Carl Zeiss Jena 135/3.5 which has better reputation. The price you're being offered seems a bit high though. I don't know what your currency is but 45 is on the high side. 15 would be more reasonable. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Minolta Auto-Tele Rokkor PF 135mm F2.8 is very good from wide open, and the image looks better than all the Minolta alternatives to me, but I'm not sure how it compares with 135's from other brands. It also, has a colour cast.

The 2.8 comes in an updated cosmetic style which I've not handled but I believe the optics are exactly the same: http://minolta.rokkor.de/lineup/3334_autorokkor_135mm28_sec_third.jpg

All the later F2.8's excluding the 4 element, 4 group MD version seem to be optically inferior but you should be able to find either of those models at your budget in great condition.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for Pentacon 2.8/135mm. It is better then Tokina, Mamiya, Minolta, Cosina, Yashica, Vivitar and Soligor (or any other 3rd party 2.8/135). It is Sonnar derived meaning you get "real thing" for lowest possible money. Nevertheless try to find tested sample from reputable seller, the quality variance is quite high. M42 is somehow preferable over Prakticar PB.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this little informal and unscientific test I did recently will help a bit: http://forum.mflenses.com/another-lens-test-25-lenses-t75688.html

Among others I tested a few cheap 135s including Pentacon 135/2.8, CZJ 135/3.5 and Minolta 135/3.5. The Pentacon came out on top and it's the cheapest one (but they're all within your budget).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're prepared to go a bit slower then I would point you to one of the Jupiters: 11A (f4) or 37A (f3.5). Quality can vary with eastern bloc lenses, and they can suffer from sticky old grease (=sticky focus), but good ones are very good - you won't be disappointed. Also within your price range (just) if you look around you can find a carl zeiss jena 135mm f3.5. It would be remiss of us not to mention the CZJ, it's one of the best.

Alternatively a lens I have been pleased with is the panagor 135mm f2.8.

The tamron adaptall 135mm's are good and have the advantage of a swappable mount. The later version close focus adaptall-2 135mm f2.5 would tend to be at your $50 limit or even a bit more, the earlier versions are for me in the "just another good 135mm" - good but a bit uninspiring.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest the CZJ 135/3.5 as well even if it costs a bit more, it might worth it.

One thing to note is that even if it is "only" f/3.5 the better multi-coatings (if kept in good shape) mean that the light gathering capability is on par with an f/2.8 single-coated lens, at least that is my general impression with Zeiss lenses is that the actual T-stop is closer to the F-stop.

I have two other favorites that are dirt cheap but there is a reason: they don't mount on Canon bodies...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 4/4 minolta Md 135/2,8.

Good lens. Sharp, nice colors and contrast
But the CA is strong for me.

Another 135 is the Nikon Aí 135/3,5.

Very good lens. Super sharp, good colors and high contrast

Sharp from 3,5 with some Ca at the border.

From 4 to 11 is a great lens. And very good CA control.

I like it more than my CZJ 3,5/135.

It's little, light, with Shade incorporated.

That nikon is mu actual 135 mm lens

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greenbeans

I have both the Super Takumar and the SMC Takumar 135mm f3.5. I can recommend either. I know you woud prefer a faster lens. I prefer the f3.5 to the Takumar f2.8 so much so that I sold the 2.8. These f3.5s are great lens with great handling and size, great sharpness and color rendition.

in the US, if you have a very little bit of patience, they are available with hoods, caps, case and, sometimes a filter for less than US$25.00 including shipping.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use it often - Should sell it on really but I've no complaints with a Helios MC 135/2.8

Album here - https://www.flickr.com/photos/ratters445/albums/72157650481806687

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee|Ratters wrote:
I don't use it often - Should sell it on really but I've no complaints with a Helios MC 135/2.8

Album here - https://www.flickr.com/photos/ratters445/albums/72157650481806687

Is your Helios this Revuenon / Samyang:

It is usable, but quite on the lower end of available choices. It seems earlier Japan version also exists:
http://www.digimanie.cz/recenze-helios-135mm-f28-m42/5464

The review of Helios on this forum and suggestions to replace it with:
http://forum.mflenses.com/helios-135mm-f2-8-any-good-t30007.html

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a Canon FD 135/2.5 SC yesterday at a local camera fair in Beijing for 15 USD (100 RMB yuan).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kievuser wrote:
I picked up a Canon FD 135/2.5 SC yesterday at a local camera fair in Beijing for 15 USD (100 RMB yuan).

The question was for lenses to be used on CANON 7D.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for Jupiter-37A 135/f3,5

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently got a Konica Hexanon AR 135mm 3.2 and I can recommend it strongly.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a projection lens then?? Super sharp usually and very fast (f1.Cool

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quidam wrote:
I recently got a Konica Hexanon AR 135mm 3.2 and I can recommend it strongly.

I have the same lens. Definitely recommend.