Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sharp 28mm for FF
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Sharp 28mm for FF Reply with quote

MMouse wrote:
Hello,

I'm looking for one or two 28mm lenses to use on my Sony A7 Smile

I need very good sharpness across the frame with acceptable sharpness wide open
and good close up capabilities with at least f/2,8 aperture, acceptable bokeh and sharpness wide open

I can buy one sharp lens for landscape and one "bokeh" lens for close up and everyday use.

I have quite a few vintage 28mm lenses sitting on my shelves. And i rarely use them ...

Most 28mm lenses were budget lenses, especially their f2.8 and f3.5 incarnations. They are not bad, but ususally they have >2% distortion and quite visible CAs even at f8 or f11. I have been using the Zeiss Apo Distagon 1.4/28mm occasionaly - excellent, but nearly as heavy (1.6kg) as my FD 2.8/300mm (1.8kg). Too much.

The Zeiss CY 2.8/28mm is OK, but not better than most other good 2.8/28mm lenses. Stopped down, the Minolta MD-III 2/28mm is better than the corresponding f2.8 lenses, and so is the Minolta AF 2/28mm. The Topcor 2.8/28mm isn't an excellent lens either. The Nikkor 2.8/28mm exists in several versions; the newest has CLC (floating elements) and goes to 0.2m. This one might be a valid option for your "clos up" 28mm lens! The Canon FD / nFD 2.8/28mm and the Canon nFD 2/28mm aren't better than their Minolta counterparts, and the Konica AR 3.5/28mm versions are "good average" as well. I don't know the Pentax 2.8/28mm (there's one at home, but not tested yet), and for the Mamiya 2.8/28mm and 3.5/28mm i don't have any e-mount adapter ... Probably Leica R might be an option; here in Switzerland they go for CHF 250.-- ... 400.--. And they may well be better than their CaMiNiPenYaZeiss counterparts. Ah yeah, the Yashica ML 2.8/28mm (7 lens) is nothing special as well ...

Difficult question! Whenever i have to use the 28mm, i ususally work with my Zeiss 2.8/16-35mm or the Minolta AF 2/28mm lenses, and not with the vintage MF lenses.

Stephan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For landscape I use a lot the Olympus Zuiko MC Auto-W 28mm 2.8

It is not that expansive, it is very nice design and sharp

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pictures Smile

Thank you.

Well, I think 28mm is quite interesting because it's 40mm on APS-C, two useful focal lengths.

I might try Leica R 28mm, it is expensive but not for a Leica. Sony 28mm f/2 is quite cheap and has great bokeh but I usually don't like lenses with such distortion, even if corrected. Otherwise, except the Sony, the only good 28mm f/2 lens usable at full aperture seems to be Voigtlander 28mm f/2. Tried it briefly and its a nice lens, but I have the Ultron 35mm f/1,7 and want to try something different. Maybe the Zeiss 28mm f/2,8 Biogon if I can find one at reasonable price. f/2,8 still ok for a 28mm, but I expect it to be quite sharp because I really like shooting wide open (for rendering, when I don't need razor shap landscapes).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Leica R 28/2.8 ver2 is widely regarded as one of the best 28's.
Same with the Contax 28/2 'Hollywood', I have an SMC Pentax K 28/2 which shares the Hollywood's DNA, it really is a sharp lens.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lightshow-photography/tags/pentaxsmck282/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of excellent suggestions in all the previous posts.
I would like to add the Canon FD 28mm F2 SSC to the mix.
It focuses down to 1 foot - 30cm
It is acceptably sharp wide open, and quite good across the frame at higher apertures.
Probably also can be found inside your budget.
Tom

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no shortage of 'sharp' 28's out there.
I recall reading that this FL is one of the easier ones to design with resolution in mind. I've had a few over the years but the ones that stand out were the Nikkor 28/2 AIS (stopped down to ~ƒ/4), Leica R 28 Elmarit v.II and Voigtländer 3,5/28 LTM. The Leica is tack-sharp from its widest aperture & handles colors like none other; the subtleties of color gradation are simply fantastic, while the CV is about the smallest thing out there and a really special B&W lens. The Nikkor 28/2.8 AIS is a near-macro lens, superb performance @ ƒ/2.8 but best used at closer distances; pretty decent but not a standout for landscape/infinity.

My favorite?.............Ricoh GR.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Sharp 28mm for FF Reply with quote

MMouse wrote:
Hello,

and good close up capabilities with at least f/2,8 aperture, acceptable bokeh and sharpness wide open

I can buy one sharp lens for landscape and one "bokeh" lens for close up and everyday use.
Every mount is fine.
I can pay the price if it is worth it, but please don't advise me a Leica lens, except if I can find it under $400.
Please avoid the wonderful Pentax K 28mm f/3,5, it is probably outstanding but I looked for three months and was not able to find one.

Thanks a lot for your advices Smile

I compared more than 30 28mm lenses on my Sony A7 earlier this year. (I did only have one copy of each lens)
Those were my favorites in terms of center sharpness wide open.

Olympus OM Zuiko 28mm F3.5
Leica Elmarit-R 28mm F2.8
Nikon AI-S 28mm F2.8
Yashica ML 28mm F2.8
Canon nFD 28mm F2.8

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Sharp 28mm for FF Reply with quote

MMouse wrote:
Hello,

Every mount is fine.
I can pay the price if it is worth it, but please don't advise me a Leica lens, except if I can find it under $400.
Please avoid the wonderful Pentax K 28mm f/3,5, it is probably outstanding but I looked for three months and was not able to find one.

Thanks a lot for your advices Smile

One lens that would combine all your requirements may be the Voigtländer Ultron 28mm/F1.9 Aspherical lens. It's reasonable sharp when used wide open even for landscapes (although there are some traces of the thick filter stack issue of the A7) but very sharp if stopped down. Furthermore if used with a helicoid converter LM to E-mount that gives you stunning close up possibilities far better than any other adapted lens.

Here are some examples from my Sony A7R2 (converted with the existing lens profile in LR6):

F1.9

F 5.6

F1.9 with the mentioned 5mm maximum extension:

Unless you want to concentrate on pixel peeping in the very extreme corners this might be the right lens for you. It should be easily available used within your budget and the mentioned helicoid adapter doesn't cost a fortune as well if bought from China.

The new original Voigtländer VM-E close-up adapter is more expensive than a used lens. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently acquired a Pentax M 28mm f/3.5, which has not a stellar reputation on the photography forums. It is usually considered as notably inferior to the highly praised Pentax K 28mm f/3.5. To my surprise, the ugly duckling turned up as a very capable lens, with good sharpness, even wide open (right to the corners on full frame), very few aberrations, relatively low distortion for a 28mm and superb colors.

Maybe I was lucky and got a particularly good lens... but if other samples of the M 28/3.5 are like mine, I can only recommend that you buy one, as this is not a rare or expensive lens. It is also relatively light and compact and won't take too much space in your bag

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The M is probably just under the K and similar to the S-M-C & SMC Takumars, which are still very good, the K seems to be special.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
The M is probably just under the K and similar to the S-M-C & SMC Takumars, which are still very good, the K seems to be special.

Yes.
Possibly the best 28mm lens that I have and always reliable.
Tom

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 to Nikkor 28/2 ai/ais

interesting bokeh, acceptable sharpness wide open, AIS has fast and smooth focus throw. I use it many times in evening portrait captures. As in the photo...
Untitled by Martin Hruboš, on Flickr

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:

I can imagine the Pentax K 28mm f/3.5 must be really good, as the M lens is not too shabby (taken with polarizer, click to view fulk size):

Wide open

Close focus (with helicoid adapter)

The remaining pictures were taken at f/6.3, except the last one (f/11):

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent results Abbazz.
A beauty for sure
Tom

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Excellent results Abbazz.
A beauty for sure

Thank you for the kind words, Tom.

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yashica ML 28 2.8 is a great lens for a great price.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

distagon 28mm c/y

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Minolta MD 2/28 or Sony FE 28mm f/2

I second that! Plus, I really like my Nikkor AI 2/28. And the Voigtländer Ultron 2/28, but you need to be lucky to find a good copy for under 400$.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your heart is still set on a Pentax K 28mm f3.5, here is one for sale ob eBay:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VERY-RARE-SMC-PENTAX-K-28mm-F3-5-FULL-FRAME/263629356497?hash=item3d6188bdd1:g:tQ4AAOSwqLpa3fMK

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
If your heart is still set on a Pentax K 28mm f3.5, here is one for sale ob eBay:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VERY-RARE-SMC-PENTAX-K-28mm-F3-5-FULL-FRAME/263629356497?hash=item3d6188bdd1:g:tQ4AAOSwqLpa3fMK

For such price, I would recommend for the shift version instead.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pentax-SMC-28mm-F3-5-Shift-lens-Pentax-K-fit-/202278401814

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Affordable :
canon fd 28 mm 2.8.
Olympus zuiko 28 mm 2.8

Best price/ quality :

Yashica 28 mm ML 2.8

Pentax K 28mm 3.5

Expensive :
Zeiss Distagon 2.8/28