Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Shackman reflex 35mm recording camera (circa 1981~)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:25 pm    Post subject: Shackman reflex 35mm recording camera (circa 1981~) Reply with quote

FULL ALBUM https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjzTNcR

Comprises-

Shackman AC1/100/R Mk. 2 35mm recording camera (1 sheet, double sided)
Shackman AC1/100/R Mk. 2 reflex camera - prices October 1981 (1 sheet, one sided)
Shackman Interval Timer (1 sheet, one sided)
Shackman AC1/100/R Mk. 2 35mm recording camera - front by - -, on Flickr
Shackman AC1/100/R Mk. 2 35mm recording camera - back by - -, on Flickr
Shackman AC1/100/R Mk. 2 reflex camera - prices October 1981 by - -, on Flickr
Shackman Interval Timer by - -, on Flickr

Notes on process

See Flickr album description for full details, but done on flatbed scanner (Canon Canoscan LiDE 120) at 1200dpi, all editing done in Photoshop on uncompressed tifs.

Last edited by eggplant on Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commentary

The more I look it up, the more ephemeral this camera seems- and very expensive for the time! Came all stapled together in one corner. As you can probably tell the prices and Interval timer sheet are quite thin paper.

You might have come across a Shackman recording camera before on eBay- indeed I initially filed it away thinking it was just one of these:
blue one 'most common' (that I've seen)

It obviously turned out to be a fair bit more uncommon (and not these!). I have never seen this reflex model before.

It is still motor driven 'auto' camera. I don't see any eyepiece, probably just a ground glass screen.

"The solenoid-operated reflex mirror also acts as the shutter."

"If it is required to utilise lenses of very short back focus distances, which would normally foul the reflex shutter, an alternative shutter can be supplied enabling lenses with as short a working distance as 13/16" to be used".

I am guessing this is 13/16 of an inch (thirteen sixteenths of an inch) which would give a back focus of 2.063cm!

Given how other Shackman auto cameras are pictured/sold with the Wray 2 inch f/1.0 4:1 copying lens, I imagine this is what they had in mind..

You might think 1200dpi is abit excessive for plain text on paper, with no diagrams to be seen, and I agree. But it pretty much captures everything there is to see. If I did it at 600dpi I would want to do another pass in the future at 1200dpi, and I'd rather not double the work. The pages compressed down well enough (10mb~) with little effort/no loss in IQ, with the option to go even further when I do a detailed 'compression' pass in the future.