Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sears (Tokina) 90-230/4.5 - Common as dirt !
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:33 am    Post subject: Sears (Tokina) 90-230/4.5 - Common as dirt ! Reply with quote

This is a historic lens !

This is probably the most widely distributed, top-selling zoom lens of the 1970's, and maybe of all time, since that was the peak of the consumer SLR boom.

It seems to have been the biggest seller of the extremely popular Tokina lens series of the early-mid 1970's. It is even easier to find today than the Tokina 28's and 135's. Maybe thats because it looks expensive and important ?

For comparison, I counted 29 of these for sale on ebay yesterday afternoon vs only 9 of the also popular Kiron 85-205/3.8, and that is not counting a later close-focusing version. It was sold under the Vivitar, Soligor, Hanimex, Sears, Montgomery Ward (another US department store), Mamiya, Yashica, Lentar and probably many more brands, in the T4 interchangable mount as well as dedicated mounts like my Sears copy.

It is a handsome, heavy, and very solidly made lens, its no surprise so many survived to this day. Mine has a serious flaw though, as it doesn't focus to infinity on the shorter end, and focuses a little too far past on the long. No doubt it needs some kind of adjustment. It does still work rather well.

It isn't terribly sharp at f/4.5, but it seems to have no flare problems, in spite of the pathetically tiny built-in hood, and contrast is no problem either. It doesn't focus too close (2.5M/8ft), compared to its competition. As two-touch 1970's zooms go, the Vivitar (Kiron) 85-205/3.8 beats it, and is the better buy, since you can buy either for basically nothing. But this thing works.

Samples -

The bird at f/4.5 - very strong noonday sun, so the thing was overexposed.

crop -

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got one for Eu 10,- mint copy!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one in the T4 guise, it was a freebie thrown in with another (200mm)... I haven't used it much, but I did find it pretty contrasty and with good bokeh at the wide end.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears (Tokina) 90-230/4.5 - Common as dirt ! Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:

It was sold under the Vivitar, Soligor, Hanimex, Sears, Montgomery Ward (another US department store), Mamiya, Yashica, Lentar and probably many more brands, in the T4 interchangable mount as well as dedicated mounts like my Sears copy.

Just got mine, branded as Lentar tele-zoom. It's missing a mounting piece, there is just a bare barrel at the end where mount should be, and the screws by which mount supposed to be attached to lens, are broken inside. I've tried to use T-mount outer ring, but it's too large in diameter. Are there any other options for attaching any mount to this lens?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly, all sorts of things are possible, its just a matter of mechanical design. You just need to get a mount attached. It depends on what skills and tools you have available.

I don't think there is a good reason to put much work into it as you can easily get a replacement for next to nothing. These are very cheap.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Certainly, all sorts of things are possible, its just a matter of mechanical design. You just need to get a mount attached. It depends on what skills and tools you have available.

I don't think there is a good reason to put much work into it as you can easily get a replacement for next to nothing. These are very cheap.

I was actually wondering if there is anything readily available, i could possibly pick up at the store or buy online. My searches online for either t-mount or m42 mount - led to adapters. I could in fact disassamble one of the m42 teleconverters (the crappy ones) that i have to use its mount on the lens.

I could get a replacement, but rather not. I found that issue with mounting screws breaking - is common with lentar lenses. I have another tele-lentar 200mm that has 2 broken screws. I need to get a tiny drill, to get those broken screws out without damaging the threads.