Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sears 50mm f/1.7 - impressions and (lots of) samples
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Sears 50mm f/1.7 - impressions and (lots of) samples Reply with quote

I paid about $15 for this lens and, after using it for a while, I came to conclusion it was worth every single dime Smile

It has PK mount, it's light (about 180g), decently built, focuses from 45cm to... beyond infinity (on Big-Is adapter). The focusing ring is a real pleasure to use - buttery soft and precise. On the other hand the aperture ring feels like it was about to fall off. But it works.

The CA is minimal and can be easily controlled in PP. You'll get flares if you ask for it but I'd say it handles the light pretty well. Most importantly, it produces nice images, it's quite fast and pretty sharp even at 1.7. For the price I paid, couldn't really ask for more.

A quick snapshot of the lens itself (with the adapter mounted):

And here are some samples so you can judge for yourself. In most cases I only tempered with levels and sharpen the image while resizing. All the pictures were taken handheld on Canon 60D.

1:1 crop of the above

BW version of the above

1:1 crop of the above

1:1 of the bokeh

1:1 of the above

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely beautiful. I have the 1.4 version which is one of the best 50mm lens I own. I am pretty sure they are made by Ricoh and is the same as the Rikenon 1.7 XR.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super lens, reminds me of a Chinon. The photos are great.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like chinon 50 1.7 Smile and performs like one. Nice shots!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole family of these cheap Sears 50mm lenses is exceptional.
The f2, f1.7 and f1.4 lenses that I have seen all produce images like these.
I'm not sure if there is an f1.2 version, but wouldn't be surprised if there was.
Top of my list for most underrated:
http://forum.mflenses.com/underrated-lenses-t62415,start,15.html
Thanks for posting these - a pleasure to view them
OH

PS:
Just looked again at your lens and it is quite different to the other Auto Sears MC lenses that I have seen.
Here is the kind I am familiar with, maybe yours is not made by Rikenon .....????

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Indeed this lens surpass its humble name.

Oldhand wrote:
Top of my list for most underrated:
http://forum.mflenses.com/underrated-lenses-t62415,start,15.html

To be honest, your great photos inspired me to share my own Sears experience. Guess we're ready to form a strong wave of Sears fanboyism. In your face Leicans! Wink

Oldhand wrote:

Just looked again at your lens and it is quite different to the other Auto Sears MC lenses that I have seen.
Here is the kind I am familiar with, maybe yours is not made by Rikenon .....????

Like others have suggested, it's probably a rebranded Chinon. At least it looks very similar and unlike Rikenon it closes down to f/22. This guy seems to think alike:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321238698467

Quote:
This lens is a clone of the Chinon 50mm 1.7 descended from the Alpha line.

Didn't want to make this thread any heavier so I ordered and posted the above and more samples in the Gallery.

Bees:
http://forum.mflenses.com/bee-session-with-sears-50mm-f-1-7-on-canon-60d-t62533.html

Plants:
http://forum.mflenses.com/a-walk-through-the-garden-with-sears-50mm-f-1-7-on-canon-60d-t62534.html

Cats:
http://forum.mflenses.com/my-cats-as-seen-through-sears-50mm-f-1-7-on-canon-60d-t62535.html

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exquisite results.
The cats and bees especially show off this lens in its best light.
Well taken
OH

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very impressive lens and even more so what you did with it! The cats (portraits!) + flower shots (esp bee on lavender) are great!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice pictures. Con grats.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazing cat shots

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your kind words. It really means a lot to me.

Here is a little fun I had with a dirty faucet (the sound of that Very Happy).

Handheld in a dark bathroom at 1/250, f/1.7, ISO200. YN565EX mounted on the camera, set at 1/32 and weaker (flash duration is suppose to be <1/8000).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stunning pictures, I really like them. The lens is obviously good, and you make good use of it.

I've got the Auto Chinon 50 / 1.7 in front of me, and it has to be the same lens, the only difference is the name ring, and the colour of the distance scale feet markings. The green oval marker point is the same.
The Chinon will be on the NEX tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
Stunning pictures, I really like them. The lens is obviously good, and you make good use of it.

Thanks.

Lloydy wrote:
I've got the Auto Chinon 50 / 1.7 in front of me, and it has to be the same lens, the only difference is the name ring, and the colour of the distance scale feet markings. The green oval marker point is the same.

There seems to be one more difference - the price Wink I'm really glad I took a chance and bought this one, even though I had no clue there's a Chinon hiding behind the Sears badge. It was cheap, I saw some sample photos I liked, I bought it. Beginners luck Smile

Lloydy wrote:
The Chinon will be on the NEX tomorrow.

Have a nice shootout! Smile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet samples. So which well known lens is it? Sears is just branding...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks very much the same lens than my Chinon 50mm 1.7... (mine has better dust Wink )
My copy is PK mount.

Strong character from this lens, similar to the above samples:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very impressive! I used to have dirt cheap a Rikenon XR 50/2.0, and it was excellent.