Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Schneider Tele Arton 85mm f4 samples on A7ii
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Schneider Tele Arton 85mm f4 samples on A7ii Reply with quote

I indicated in my 90mm version thread:

http://forum.mflenses.com/schneider-tele-arton-90mm-f4-samples-t77671.html

That I had acquired the 85 version and planned to do a comparison.
While not scientific and the photos are from different days, to my eyes the results are so similar I would not be surprised if these were actually the same optical setup.

100% crop

the photo resized

100%

r

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously my skill level is not up to the level of those of Attila but I thought I'd add a few more samples.

On this photo I was focused on the flower pistil and was taking a bracket series and did not notice spider until I was looking at details. Otherwise I would have focused on it.

100%crop:

full photo:

100% crop:

The good: Vintage German engineering and workmanship. (All metal and glass). Great colors. Smooth bokeh. Sharp sharp sharp.
The bad: Not very fast. Long minimum focus. Prone to flair.
The ugly: Ha ha, nothing ugly about this lens.

Flair and contrast degradation with backlighting can be limited with a good hood, unfortunately the mfr hoods are hard to come by. I cobbled together a hood using black tape and a generic hood from a different lens. Minimum focus is easily accomplished with a helical adapter (if you are using a mirrorless). Unfortunaetly my helical adapter aggravates the flair issue, I get a washed out area right in the center of some of my shots in certain lighting conditions. Not sure what to do about that issue.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...to my eyes the results are so similar I would not be surprised if these were actually the same optical setup.

I wondered if that might be the case too.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I would add a new example. Schneider reds can't be beat!

[url=http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20184/big_7980_DSC05983es_4.jpg]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely indeed. Was wandering about this lens for a while.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While not fast, it has gorgeous colors and as you can see is EXTREMELY sharp. Not a typical portrait 85, it is a very small lens much smaller than even an oly pen f. If used with a helicoid adapter on mirrorless it is an excellent macro. And if you watch ebay for a while can typically be had for about 100USD. I highly recommend them.