Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Schneider-Kreuznach Tele-Xenar 5.5/360 tripod mount:Question
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:56 am    Post subject: Schneider-Kreuznach Tele-Xenar 5.5/360 tripod mount:Question Reply with quote

I tried to use this lens and found it does not have the smaller tripod screw thread (I am not sure what you call it) that enables me to screw it on my tripod. It has a larger threaded hole that is far too big for my tripods screw. Any ideas on what I need to do too solve the mis-match? I do know there is the standard thread and there is another size but can not remember what it is.

I also found I need to have the lens attached to the tripod, as it is far to heavy for the poor K-01 too handle. It actually falls forward and the tripod can not hold it's weight. Sad

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the tripod mount on the lens

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe you need a "1/4" to 3/8" convert screw adapter" like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-4-to-3-8-Convert-Screw-Adapter-for-Tripod-Monopod-Ballhead-DSLR-SLR-/180743314376?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a15241bc8

You'll find zillions of these adapters on eBay.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It needs a reducer Mo.
They are a 3/8 to 1/4 reducer screw insert.
See here:
http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xtripod+screw+3%2F8+to+1%2F4+reducer&_nkw=tripod+screw+3%2F8+to+1%2F4+reducer&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Cheers
OH

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,are there any tolerance differences with these? I mean would I need to buy a few just incase... Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Thanks,are there any tolerance differences with these? I mean would I need to buy a few just incase... Very Happy

HI Mo

No need to buy a few. These are standard 1/4" x 20 UNC to 3/8" X 16 UNC adapters that go way back - you often see the larger "European" 3/8" size on the front folding standards of old folding cameras. Also, if your tripod is the type that allows you to unscrew the tripod head, you might find that the thread that holds it on is a 3/8" stud!

Best,

Paul

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, they are all more or less equivalent, but there may be some variation in the quality of machining and finishing. There should be no problem with tolerance.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the answers,the tripod head is not removable.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to remove the tripod stud on mine. The 50s vintage units do not have adjustable mount screw like later 60s models.

Once removed, I used a Canon Tripod Mount ($7 copy) model A(W) clamshell type . To make up the difference in diameter I used 6 rubber seals as shown below. The seals mean a no scratch connection and the solution is very sturdy.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a follow up,the little 3/8-1/4 adapter arrived today and I have inserted it into the tri pod mount on the lens, but there is about 2mm extra thread poking out of the mount...do I leave it like this or can I remove it? It does not fill me with confidence (that it can hold the weight of the lens) and I may look for a better solution.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sort of thing can happen as there is variation in these things.
What I have done in the past is to dremel (grinder wheel) the inner end of the adapter a bit till it fits flush when tightly screwed in.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the hint and answer, that this situation is within the realms of normalcy when dealing with these little adapters. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem with my Tair-3s. The adapters were too long. After much, careful searching on ebay, I found adapters that were shorter than the majority found on ebay. They worked very well.

I think this was the source: http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-x-6mm-Post-Slotted-1-4-to-3-8-Tripod-Camera-Adapter-/370490686613?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5642f73c95 They ship worldwide, but you should be able to find some on your side of the pond.

At least we know that the shorter adapter exists and additional machine work is not necessary.

Cheers,
Lou

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link,I have it bookmarked.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Just a follow up,the little 3/8-1/4 adapter arrived today and I have inserted it into the tri pod mount on the lens, but there is about 2mm extra thread poking out of the mount...do I leave it like this or can I remove it? It does not fill me with confidence (that it can hold the weight of the lens) and I may look for a better solution.

I had the same problem Moira - all I did was to take a large flat washer and sit it around the projecting inner flange and voila - all good.
OH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Simplicity itself,That's why I like this forum all good solutions for one minor problem.