Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Schneider-Kreuznach Apo-Componon HM 2.8/4.0 at Infinity
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:56 am    Post subject: Schneider-Kreuznach Apo-Componon HM 2.8/4.0 at Infinity Reply with quote

Well maybe 200 feet and at f11. I was surprised to find this 2013 image in my files:

Cropped ca 50% laterally only.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pretty good - as expected!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who don't know, it is an enlarger lens.

I bought it for macro, an example from 2013:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e6filmuser wrote:
For those who don't know, it is an enlarger lens.

I bought it for macro, an example from 2013:

Interesting. I think it's a good lens for macro, but actually found it really disappointing in the corners (even close-up, where for example the cheap Osawa /Hoya/Bogen 40 mm f/3.5 enlarging lens does give it a run for its money.) Would be surprised to see it holds up on the edges at infinity... but you never know. What's your assessment there?

But like I've mentioned - for macro shots it does work pretty well:

F-sharp falling flat! by simple.joy, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the entire frame prior to cropping. The corners look OK to me.

This test shot was just to satisfy my curiosity about infinity focus and no more.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e6filmuser wrote:
Here is the entire frame prior to cropping. The corners look OK to me.

This test shot was just to satisfy my curiosity about infinity focus and no more.

It‘s indeed okay but that‘s at f/11, correct? Have you tried shooting at f/4 or f/5.6? Perhaps the lens is better at distance - it would be surprising to me however.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, but that would be way down my list of priorities, being unlikely to be the choice over other lenses for anything other than close-up or macro. Maybe when we have a long period of fine weather.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e6filmuser wrote:
No, but that would be way down my list of priorities, being unlikely to be the choice over other lenses for anything other than close-up or macro. Maybe when we have a long period of fine weather.

Yes, you've certainly got a point there! Just wanted to mention my impression and ask if you made similar observations... I think some of the 40 mm WA lenses (like the Rodagon WA 40 mm f/4 for example) might be a better choice if you're not going to shoot at f/2.8. But I've not tested mine nearly enough to get a good impression of the strengths and limits of the Apo-Componon HM 40 mm f/2.8...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simple.joy wrote:
e6filmuser wrote:

Yes, you've certainly got a point there! Just wanted to mention my impression and ask if you made similar observations... I think some of the 40 mm WA lenses (like the Rodagon WA 40 mm f/4 for example) might be a better choice if you're not going to shoot at f/2.8. But I've not tested mine nearly enough to get a good impression of the strengths and limits of the Apo-Componon HM 40 mm f/2.8...

For several years, I was using this lens as my main high mag macro lens but it has been superseded by my Laowa 25mm x2.5 to x5. I do not share the liking of many here for wide open aperture photography, even for testing. So any such testing I do is purely for curiosity. That does not mean I would not do such a test, eventually. In fact, only this afternoon, the first result of my search about this lens found a statement of "fact" that it cannot focus at infinity. OK, I am using "infinity" loosely but my post can now be located by a search. Thanks for your interest and comments.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e6filmuser wrote:

For several years, I was using this lens as my main high mag macro lens but it has been superseded by my Laowa 25mm x2.5 to x5. I do not share the liking of many here for wide open aperture photography, even for testing. So any such testing I do is purely for curiosity.

Yeah, I realize that people have different preferences there... You can't imagine how many times people have tried to explain to me that I "just need to stop the lens down", as if I wasn't aware of the possibility. 😉 It's just a matter of taste I guess and what kind of vision you have in mind for a shot. I feel like there's no right or wrong there, to be honest and I've always been fascinated to hear the reasoning of people, regardless of what their preference is.

e6filmuser wrote:

In fact, only this afternoon, the first result of my search about this lens found a statement of "fact" that it cannot focus at infinity. OK, I am using "infinity" loosely but my post can now be located by a search.

Which lens, the Laowa 25 mm 2-5x?

e6filmuser wrote:

Thanks for your interest and comments.

Thank you as well! 👍

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simple.joy wrote:
e6filmuser wrote:

In fact, only this afternoon, the first result of my search about this lens found a statement of "fact" that it cannot focus at infinity. OK, I am using "infinity" loosely but my post can now be located by a search.

The HM40. Loawa will not, nor will my Printing-Nikkors, even focus for moderate close-ups e.g. 1:10.

Meanwhile, I have another lens in the post to me! Smile

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

e6filmuser wrote:
simple.joy wrote:
e6filmuser wrote:

The HM40. Loawa will not, nor will my Printing-Nikkors, even focus for moderate close-ups e.g. 1:10.

Meanwhile, I have another lens in the post to me! Smile

I'm not surprised in case of the Laowa, as it was specifically made for high magnification macro. When it comes to the HM40 and Printing-Nikkors, it is because of your system or camera, right? Both lenses focus to infinity on mirrorless without any problem, but of course you wouldn't even want to see what the Printing Nikkor does at that distance... 😅

Looking forward to hearing about your new lens, if you're going to share it here! Meanwhile I'm trying to sell some lenses... enough is enough! 😱

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simple.joy wrote:

I'm not surprised in case of the Laowa, as it was specifically made for high magnification macro. When it comes to the HM40 and Printing-Nikkors, it is because of your system or camera, right? Both lenses focus to infinity on mirrorless without any problem, but of course you wouldn't even want to see what the Printing Nikkor does at that distance... 😅

Quite right. I was having a Senior Moment there. They can be made to, on a suitable extension, as did the HM40, but their optimisation is at around 1;1.