Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Schacht Travegon R 3.5/35 ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Schacht Travegon R 3.5/35 ? Reply with quote

saw a Schacht Travegon R 3.5/35 in a shop, looking for information about this lens I arrived at a thread here: http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,t,59945.html The samples are very good, the colors look unique.
'seanwu's copy looks very different, the one I saw has 'zebra' design and I believe that it comes in M42. I was not looking for a 35mm SLR lens but now I am tempted.

Anyone else here who has experience with this lens?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's a different lens, but my zebra Schacht 100 3.3 is a decent lens. I used it a lot on the K10 with good results.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had it (R version with zebra) in Exakta mount.
Quite unique rendition. It produces colors which remembers me of old slide from my father. Interesting lens but not a keeper for me. I paid about 40 for mine and sold it for the same.
I've only tried it once because I had more important to lenses to try at that time Wink

Some samples from NEX-C3, JPEG, partially with moderate PP (especially first one)
Light conditions were partially very demanding due midday sun

Check beard for pixel-peeping: http://www.flickr.com/photos/54671350@N02/9722427812/sizes/o/in/photostream/
Not bad but also nothing stellar.

*lens is very sensitive to fingerprints on front element*

Last edited by ForenSeil on Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:58 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3.5/35 Travegon is a unique lens, but they are very hard to find in good condition. They are prone to separation issues and coating damage. It is the only 35 I know of which uses a six element in three groups scheme and the rendering is somewhat unique - though very "schachty".

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering the weather i think Pol filter would boost the colors and reduce bluish tones.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried one back in the 1960s when you could get it in Leica rangefinder mount. Same optics. Nicely made, nice results on Kodachrome with a UVa filter, but I didn't keep it because it was "only" f3.5 and I had the chance to buy a Canon 35/2.8 for the same price Embarassed

I thought the Canon gave sharper b&w negs - certainly it had more sparkle. But the colour slides from the Schacht were great. If you have the chance to buy one at a reasonable price, then go for it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you very much everyone for your input.
great samples forenseil, besides good photos again the colors impress.
I shall go back to the shop and check out it's condition, check if I like the handling and if they give me a good price.