Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Schacht Travegon R 3.5/35 ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Schacht Travegon R 3.5/35 ? Reply with quote

saw a Schacht Travegon R 3.5/35 in a shop, looking for information about this lens I arrived at a thread here: http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,t,59945.html The samples are very good, the colors look unique.
'seanwu's copy looks very different, the one I saw has 'zebra' design and I believe that it comes in M42. I was not looking for a 35mm SLR lens but now I am tempted.

Anyone else here who has experience with this lens?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's a different lens, but my zebra Schacht 100 3.3 is a decent lens. I used it a lot on the K10 with good results.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had it (R version with zebra) in Exakta mount.
Quite unique rendition. It produces colors which remembers me of old slide from my father. Interesting lens but not a keeper for me. I paid about 40€ for mine and sold it for the same.
I've only tried it once because I had more important to lenses to try at that time Wink

Some samples from NEX-C3, JPEG, partially with moderate PP (especially first one)
Light conditions were partially very demanding due midday sun

Check beard for pixel-peeping: http://www.flickr.com/photos/54671350@N02/9722427812/sizes/o/in/photostream/
Not bad but also nothing stellar.

*lens is very sensitive to fingerprints on front element*

Last edited by ForenSeil on Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:58 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3.5/35 Travegon is a unique lens, but they are very hard to find in good condition. They are prone to separation issues and coating damage. It is the only 35 I know of which uses a six element in three groups scheme and the rendering is somewhat unique - though very "schachty".

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering the weather i think Pol filter would boost the colors and reduce bluish tones.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried one back in the 1960s when you could get it in Leica rangefinder mount. Same optics. Nicely made, nice results on Kodachrome with a UVa filter, but I didn't keep it because it was "only" f3.5 and I had the chance to buy a Canon 35/2.8 for the same price Embarassed

I thought the Canon gave sharper b&w negs - certainly it had more sparkle. But the colour slides from the Schacht were great. If you have the chance to buy one at a reasonable price, then go for it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you very much everyone for your input.
great samples forenseil, besides good photos again the colors impress.
I shall go back to the shop and check out it's condition, check if I like the handling and if they give me a good price.