Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Same but different s-m-c 135 3.5 VS CZJ 135 3.5 MC, updated
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Same but different s-m-c 135 3.5 VS CZJ 135 3.5 MC, updated Reply with quote

Hi all pixel peepers and lens nerds Smile
See end of first post for update images.

I have heard that the S-M-C 135 3.5 was a great lens, but sometimes with an awful bokeh. I have also hears that the CZJ 135 3.5 MC was the very best (slow) 135 prime, bokeh wise (due to the sonnar design).

So now I have both, in fairly mint condition and why not run a small test to verify the rumors.

First some facts.
S-M-C 135 is very nice built and silky smooth to operate. World leading mechanics (as Takumars usually have).
CZJ 135 is also very nice in the operation. but comes a step behind the Ninja in this division. Durability of aperture mechanics and lubrication seems worse on the German lens if all rumors shall be believed.
The weight and length of the lenses are similar, but the German lens has a shorter MFD, which is the only real data sheet difference to bother about IMHO.
The price tag is normally three times higher for the German lens, so lets see if the performance is reflecting that fact.

On the images below I have only set auto levels or auto WB (depending on the comparison) and resized to 1600 pixels from the camera JPEG. Exposure has been similar and white balance setting. All shots at full aperture (f/3.5) and hand held. A few shots were taken and the best focused ones were selected.

Fist round, bokeh.

CZJ

S-M-C

Very similar, on the edge of indistinguable if it had been on a tripod, same metering etc. The German lens seems perhaps smoother, but the contrast and high key exposure is lower which gives the highlight rings a (falsely) smoother appearance. The German lens actually produces a tad uglier outer edge of the highlight bokeh rings but only noticeable for pixel peepers. The blurred areas not creating bokeh rings seems a tad smoother with the German. I made also similar shots stopped down to f/5.6 and the results was the same, no real difference. That much for the rumor of the messy S-M-C background stopped down.

Now for Bokeh, sharpness, color and contrast...

CZJ

S-M-C

This one is interesting. I can actually see no significant difference at all in the background. For me it seems like two shots taken with the same lens at different times.
The colors (before auto WB) was slightly more yellow with the CZJ.
To be picky. In the original image, the S-M-C has a tiny bit of red/pink CA on some edges of the flowers. The difference can only be seen in 1:1 resolution, both lenses have great performance in this aspect.

Sharpness and color. (Center crops)

CZJ

S-M-C

Again, very similar results. The color of the CJZ is more yellow, but the sharpness, CA and contrast are approximately in the same league.

Now for MFD shots and object isolation.

CZJ

S-M-C

Now here is the big difference apparent. The German lens has a shorter MFD and thus object isolation is great with a 135mm lens.
Auto WB was used, which can explain the color difference along with different shooting angle/distance/background coverage.
The S-M-C still looks nice I think, but here is the first significant drawback visible amongst the two.

Finally a shot stopped down to f/5.6 with the S-M-C

Micro contrast (or 3D-ness) seems better with the CZJ, but this test was not made for checking that, just bokeh and sharpness. Flatness may be difficult to judge due to the auto levels I applied and I was not picky with exact exposures / lighting.

I would say that the price relevant for MFD shooters. Otherwise good for the rest, since a S-M-C lens can be had for almost nothing Very Happy

If the CZJ has the best bokeh avaiable, the S-M-C cannot be regarded as having a messy bokeh, since thay are roughly identical. I can't understand how that rumor has developed?

Now I have two almost equal contenders again... Which one to keep the best mechanics or the best MFD?

Update.
Bokeh car shot (again).

CZJ135, straight from camera:

S-M-C135, straight from camera (note that there is some dirt from the window I shot through, giving a low contrast area just in front of the car):

The S-M-C often appears as having a brighter outer edge on the lower intensity bokeh rings. Again, there is a slight yellow cast with CZJ, I find S-M-C as more accurate.

Now same image with applied auto levels just to see how contrast changes.
CZJ:

S-M-C:

The low contrast area in front of the car (due to my dirty window) in the S-M-C image is difficult to ignore, but try.

And finally real sized highlight bokeh rings.
CZJ, crop straight from camera:

S-M-C:

The CZJ has a brighter yellow ring edge. Looking at this magnification, I often find it as a tad ugler since it matches less good with the background colors where the S-M-C has more of a green ring edge that is less pronounced color wise. Both have a slight double ring, where the CZJ often looks a tad better (more gaussian), since the CZJ goes (radially) from gray directly to yellow and S-M-C from gray, via white, to green.

Last edited by torbod on Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:55 pm; edited 12 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting test of two very highly regarded 135s. Maybe I'm biased (as I love my CZJ Sonnar) but I prefer the CZJ shots. Looking at the first flower shots, the CZJ image looks less flat (to me) with slightly more contrast. Maybe I'm just a Sonnar junkie though Laughing Actually, I am Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Interesting test of two very highly regarded 135s. Maybe I'm biased (as I love my CZJ Sonnar) but I prefer the CZJ shots. Looking at the first flower shots, the CZJ image looks less flat (to me) with slightly more contrast. Maybe I'm just a Sonnar junkie though Laughing Actually, I am Crying or Very sad

Yes, I can perhaps agree, bit I also think that the difference in lighting can be a big joker here. I find the S-M-C often has better contrast, which usually gives less flat images. I see different flatness in different areas of the image, both wins Wink

I also see that the red wall image seems more flat with the S-M-C. I probably, for a more scientific result, should not have used the Auto levels / auto WB for a more comparable result, and worked more with getting exact exposure in camera!?
My reason for doing this was to kill the bad-bohek myth of the S-M-C, thus I didn't bother that much with the exposure and WB.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice test, thx for sharing!

Both lenses are excellent, not much difference in these samples. Though, I also see a slightly more contrast with CZJ and for my taste the bokeh is smoother in those samples.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I removed the second bokeh ring test, since the exposures and through window shots were just too different to make good comparisons. I can make a 1:1 crop of two equal bokeh rings from equal exposures, instead to show the outer edges. My findings are not apparent in the images i have posted.

But who is really watching bokeh rings in full resolution???
Ok, I know, we are, haha.

I could also add a micro contrast test shot, with identical exposures.

/T

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice test. Thanks.

Obviously, both lenses are very good 135 mm. Niot matter which do you chose, any will do the job.

That thing occur with almost all the 135 lenses. If you can see the minimal differences between the rendering of the cheap mamiya 2,8/135 and the SMC 2,8/135 2nd. version...........

A friend of mine have purchased a Rexatar 2,8/135, a very little lens of prinz brand seller. Very decent lens and very cheap!!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comparison. Lens comparison has became my new hobby for last couple of months Very Happy

From my eyes the S-M-C has slightly smoother bokeh than CZJ. Smile

I've just purchased the CZJ and I love it instantly, although its not very sharp at wide open (I dont know if this unsharpness is typical for this lens or I just got a bad copy).
I like it's shorter MFD too Smile
But from 135 lens comparison test made by our friend BRunner, the old non-MC silver CZJ 135/3.5 is slightly better than the black MC.

Last edited by nixland on Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:12 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixland wrote:
......But from 135 lens comparison test made by our friend BRunner, the old non-MC silver CZJ 135/3.5 is slightly better than the black MC.

My personal experience is the same.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixland wrote:

I've just purchased the CZJ and I love it instantly, although its not very sharp at wide open (I dont know if this unsharpness is typical for this lens or I just got a bad copy).

It could be a bad copy, mine is sharp from wide open.
Check that there is no loose lens elements and there is no dirt on the rear element. Mine had a greasy fingerprint on the rear element when I got it, and it affected IQ dramatically.

Good luck
T

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:
Detailed bokeh ring comparison added in first post.