Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

S-M-C Takumar Zoom 85-210mm f/4.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: There is a rare faster version too. Reply with quote

cheekygeek wrote:
hifisapi wrote:
I own this lens and I agree its excellent, but beware of the faster F3.5 version. Its rare and expensive but its a dog, soft in the corners, no where near as good as the F4.5 version you have. I also have the 45-125 and the 135-600 and both of those are excellent lenses too.

I'm curious where you get this from (that it is a dog). You have lots of Pentax lenses, so I'm not doubting you - but the few sample images i have seen are excellent. The 3.5 is also only available in a K mount.

I owned two different examples of the smc pentax 85-210 F3.5 and both were soft in the corners compared to the F4.5 version.
I sold them because of this.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear it was from personal experience. Was your "soft in the corners" on film cameras? I wonder if the images I have seen were mostly on APS-C digital, where only the central portion of the image circle are used? On the other hand, soft corners can be pretty easily forgiven, depending upon the subject and the composition of the image. There is an argument to be made that it even can make the subject stand out.

In any event, I was on my way to pick up my own first copy of the f3.5 version when I asked the question. I've also purchased a S-M-C Takumar f4.5 version so I can do my own comparison when they arrive. Thank you for the response!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought the 45-125 zoom.....complete with case....which is what I was after....have taken a cup of trial shots, not developed yet, but this lens looks pretty good strapped onto my ES11.
It's not that big, and should give me a bit more "variety" than the 50mm & having to change lenses etc.
Cheers, Pickles.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheekygeek wrote:
Glad to hear it was from personal experience. Was your "soft in the corners" on film cameras? I wonder if the images I have seen were mostly on APS-C digital, where only the central portion of the image circle are used? On the other hand, soft corners can be pretty easily forgiven, depending upon the subject and the composition of the image. There is an argument to be made that it even can make the subject stand out.

In any event, I was on my way to pick up my own first copy of the f3.5 version when I asked the question. I've also purchased a S-M-C Takumar f4.5 version so I can do my own comparison when they arrive. Thank you for the response!

The two f3.5 versions were soft in the corners on digital using a pentax apsc camera. from what I recall the f4.5 version was sharper in the corners and definitely the a70-210mm was sharper in the corners.