Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

S-M-C Takumar 28/3.5 on a full frame-body
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 2:43 am    Post subject: S-M-C Takumar 28/3.5 on a full frame-body Reply with quote

I've got this lens a while ago, but was able to shoot it on a full-frame camera just recently. What can I say? It's certainly one of the best wide-angle primes in M42 mount. Renders very nice colors, gives excellent contrast and very nice resolution straight from wide open (extreme corners are not that great, yet they are well on-par with Canon's 24-70L at 28mm). By f/8 it's pixel-sharp across the frame on a 21 MP body.

It's a great lens when it comes to shooting in contra light; flare is very minimal. I was unable to produce any purple fringing, which is very nice; some CA are present in the corners, but those are easy to correct in the RAW processor.

Vignetting is stonger than I would like on a wide-angle lens though. I don't mind vignetting for portraits, but not in landscape shots. Keeping the lens at 49mm filter size may had seemed a good idea at the time, but this design has its drawbacks. Nevertheless, this is a minor headache.

Below are a few pics I shot around my place just before the dusk and in the twilight (the colors are accurate).

#1: Contra Light

#5: The Bokeh Shot

#7: Geometric Distortion close to Zero

I have a full review posted here http://www.prime35.com/s-m-c-takumar-28mm-f3-5/

Last edited by aoleg on Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:14 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, you got a lot of keepers there. Great shoots!
My fav #3
but the rest all close #2's

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yet, great lens. #3 is my fav, too.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats, great lens, nice samples
and it must look quite small in front of the 24-70L

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys for your comments! The lens is diminutive compared to 24-70L... a very nice walkabout lens.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, what a richness of detail. My favorites are 5 & 6.
Great shots and a great lens.

Rolf

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, I was just asking about a 28 that could deal with the A900, seems that this one could.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: S-M-C Takumar 28/3.5 on a full frame-body Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:

Vignetting is stonger than I would like on a wide-angle lens though. I don't mind vignetting for portraits, but not in landscape shots. Keeping the lens at 49mm filter size may had seemed a good idea at the time, but this design has its drawbacks. Nevertheless, this is a minor headache.

Just a note on that specific point:

Looking at the way vignetting is confined to the extreme corners, I am reminded that before digital, that part of the film was not expected to be visible in a slide mount, or when printed.

Quote:
A standard fullframe 35mm slide in the 24 x 36 Gepe #6006 mount measures 23 x 35mm (805 sq. mm.) and not 864 sqo mm.
Source

And indeed the format is referred to as 35mm, not 36mm.

A service that delivers 35mm slides of digital images (made using a film recorder) states
Quote:
Images of art work are printed at 95% of the possible size to eliminate cropping by the slide mounts.
source

Many viewfinders in film cameras have between a 94% to 97% crop.

Thus, in a sense, using full-frame lenses on full-frame digital cameras with a 1:1 crop factor is using lenses (slightly) outside their designed specifications. The diagonal from centre to corner on 23x35mm is 20.9mm; the diagonal on 24x36 is 21.6mm. Its instructive to look at the published MTF graphs of full frame lenses and notice what happens between 20 and 22mm.

I see that Loyd Chambers has said that full frame cameras would be better with a 1:1.1 crop factor.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#3 and #4 are my favourites.

This is an M42 lens? What is a good 28mm KA lens, for Pentax? I ask because a freind has recently got a first DSLR, a Pentax K100D, and will need a 28mm. Aperture priority would probably be better for a beginner than full manual, I suspect. Or should I steer them towards M42 lenses on grounds of better quality and/or lower cost?

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but ... I do not understand, the photos are all made with a 55mm lens to f14?

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisLilley wrote:
This is an M42 lens? What is a good 28mm KA lens, for Pentax?

This is an M42 lens. There are many great primes in the K mount, but I haven't tried any (yet).

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chong66 wrote:
but ... I do not understand, the photos are all made with a 55mm lens to f14?

It's just the adapter. Its AF confirmation chip is programmed as a 55/1.4, so it'll show this focal length and aperture no matter which lens I use with it.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats !!!

Really nice lens and very beautiful samples !

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful samples, many thanks for sharing them!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty decent results Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's something about #2 that stands out to me, but lovely results all round.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like all the photos and like the simplicity of #1 best.

The S-M-C Tak 28/3.5 was my first Takumar, anthropomorphically speaking I fell in love at first sight with results! Then started my M42 acquisition madness...

Besides excellent IQ, the accurate color rendition is what struck me hardest. (I've yet to experience CZ/J)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, color rendition is one thing that is particularly great with this glass. By the way, I found what caused vignetting: the filter. Apparently, 49mm is too narrow to take normal filters (I didn't try slim ones); without them, the lens still vignettes at 3.5-4, but not at 5.6 and on.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
Yes, color rendition is one thing that is particularly great with this ...

I was about to comment on the colors. It did not appear as I have seen in many Tak lens in pics 1-7 but I can see them in the last installment. Perhaps it was the subjects. I have this lens but after looking at your pics, I regret not using it as often. Great job.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, great file on great lens. I love all of your pictures.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You managed to catch this beautiful light !

Thanks. Smile