Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Russian Projector Lens P-4 (Petzval) 100mm F/2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Russian Projector Lens P-4 (Petzval) 100mm F/2 Reply with quote

I recently bought a Russian projector lens made by GOMZ in Leningrad. It's a P-4 lens of 100mm focal length and f/2 maximum aperture. What attracted me was the original Petzval optical formula of this lens. The Petzval optical formula has 4 elements in 3 groups and was used as a portrait lens on the daguerreotype cameras thanks to its wider aperture than the other lenses of the time. It is usually quite sharp in the center of the field but is rather soft outside a narrow circle in the middle of the frame. The bokeh is usually quite nice.

Here are my first pictures taken with this lens. Of course, all were shot wide open as the lens has no diaphragm. No sharpening was applied:

1:

2:

100% crop of above picture:

3:

100% crop of above picture:

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very nice like a Helios 40!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works nicely for me Abbazz!!

Never tried this idea, though - learnt sth new from you!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Attila and Klaus for the kind comments.

Attila wrote:
Looks very nice like a Helios 40!

Yes, I must admit I found the idea of using these projector lenses by reading the 200+ pages long thread about the Helios 40 on the club.foto.ru website. I bought a bunch of these superfast projector lenses in the last few weeks and this is the one offering the best results, many of the others suffering from ugly color fringing.

Cheers!

Abbazz

Last edited by Abbazz on Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:58 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! Shocked Cool