Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

rural decay, BW conversion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: rural decay, BW conversion Reply with quote

This seems to be an interesting topic lately. Here's a couple from this fall that I badly overexposed, completely blew out the sky and trying to correct it just created hideous blue halos around the trees.

I noticed them again searching my reject bin for un-sharp pics for another thread, and attempted to salvage them via BW conversion. Both shots with Super Takumar 28/3.5.

For whatever reason people love the look of covered bridges, they seem to be a tourist draw in New England and eastern Canada. This one is located on what is now a logging road. Those missing boards look bad but the structure must be sound, 18-wheelers full of logs use this road. Ilford SPX film preset, green filter

Abandoned farmhouse. Ilford SPX film preset, orange filter

Software - Ubuntu, digiKam for B+W conversion, Gimp for erasing a couple of branches floating disembodied in the sky (did I mention I really missed the exposure?)

digiKam's B+W conversion lets you select from several film presets and colored filters. I confess I've never shot a roll of BW film so I just experimented until I found settings I liked.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on these, I am installing Digikam as we speak.

It won't make me a good photographer, but it will mean my mono images won't look like they are conversions Cool

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like my area in ny mountains. ive taken many shots like 1--nice perspective. are you near montreal? one of my absolute favorite cities!

graham, no need for software, just buy an x100 and use OOC b&w! Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
And blow the next decade of camera budget in one go? Shocked

Digikam and food on the table is the better option for now Laughing

...but my first explore of Digikam is very promising Cool

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
looks like my area in ny mountains. ive taken many shots like 1--nice perspective. are you near montreal? one of my absolute favorite cities!

I'm in southeast New Brunswick, so a day's drive from Montreal geographically, a dozen light years culturally Smile

The shot was taken here- http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Jonah+Road,+Hillsborough,+NB,+Canada

It took a while to compose, here's what I'm not showing you. (apologies for pic quality, ugly overexposed sky etc)

If we ever get some snow or when things green up again, I hope to go back and get an HDR from inside the bridge.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, cool, thats nice country up there. we've done some tooling around nova scotia and really loved it! one of the 10 best drives in north america, eh?!

we're only a few hours drive from montreal, so we tend to spend some time there 3 or 4 times a year. really love it, like being in europe without the horrible airport experience!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice natural b&w conversions. I'm going to download digikam too.