Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Ross London No.2 Cabinet
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:24 am    Post subject: Ross London No.2 Cabinet Reply with quote

I was cleaning house over the weekend and stumbled upon this lens from my Uncle's estate in a box of stuff. It's about 5" in diameter and 6.5" long and has an aperture ring. 2 elements cemented in front and two elements (air space) in the rear. It has a HUGE image circle with focal length approx 10". The lens also had an extension tube/adapter built for a Rolleiflex SL66.

Anyone have any background on this lens. Googled it and nothing came up.

Here's a photo of this behemoth.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that this lens can be easily adapted on Micro 4/3 camera bodies Smile

What do you think, wilson? Smile

No idea, indeed Smile

But thanks to sharing this monster! Smile

tf

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it can! That's why they had the tripod mount on the SL66 adapter Wink My GF-1 or 5DMkII can just hang off the back! I'll clean up the lens to see what I can do.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's gonna be interesting!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a Petzval-type portrait lens. These are normally huge. They were designed for speed and center sharpness.

This is a great article on the subject -

http://www.antiquecameras.net/petzvallens.html

"Cabinet" was a size of print, and on the lens this may have referred to the designed coverage, which seems to have been fairly small in relation to the size of the lens.

There were two "Cabinet" formats, one was 4x4 /12", the other 7x10"

Your lens is likely to be at least 100 years old.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's one beast of a lens. When you get around to taking pictures with this lens, be sure to include one that shows this thing on the GF-1. Or the GF-1 on this thing, really…

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I'm trying to get the lens cleaned up. Unfortunately it's showing signs of age with cleaning marks and some fungus etched on the rear elements. Lucky it's non-coated so makes things easier.

Wow, this is what I call a proper iris (20 blades)!!! Very Happy They don't make them like they used to nowadays.

If the lens doesn't flare a lot, the bokeh should be pretty cool for this large format portrait lens Wink

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks you could buzz cut a tree with that! Shocked

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crikey, a medieval canon with glass in! Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woo-hoo! that is a buster!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got some hints on the converters needed. A friend of mine in Singapore has a SL66 -> Mamiya 645 adapter with helicoid and then a Maniya 645 -> M42 or Canon EF mount. Sourced the latter.

Alex, help on the SL66 -> Mamiya 645 adapter!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got my hands on a SL66 extension tube so they it can be my sacrificial SL66 mount, need to turn a adapter down to M52 so it will fit on Alex's larger helicoid Smile That should do it, and it didn't cost that much Wink

Here's now it looks for now:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope your tripod will handle that lens well enough... Laughing

Klaus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caramba!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, now it looks the brake drum on my car axle. Laughing