Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rollei Planar 1.8/50: if you have it, keep it !
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmm, so he only solution would be to shave the mirror and file the lens.
I have think about that.

Thanks guys,
Bart.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kram wrote:
50/1.8 HFT Planar (Singapore) at 2.8.

Congratulation, you've got one of the best 50mm lens ever made.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

propellor wrote:
I have think about that.

Thanks guys,
Bart.

Not necessarily. It varies for each sample of the 5D and perhaps also different samples of the lens.

See here: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/933139/0#8851436
In the fourth picture you can see that he did not shave his 5D. Picture 3 shows that it's an actual 5D. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keysersoze27 wrote:
Superb colours, Mark !!!

Thanks!

@Brunner, good to hear! As soon as the weather gives me half a chance, I'll post some serious sample images.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AhamB wrote:
propellor wrote:
I have think about that.

Thanks guys,
Bart.

Not necessarily. It varies for each sample of the 5D and perhaps also different samples of the lens.

See here: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/933139/0#8851436
In the fourth picture you can see that he did not shave his 5D. Picture 3 shows that it's an actual 5D. Wink

That looks easy to do (I love my Dremel). I'll buy it and see what happens. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kb

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRunner wrote:
Kram wrote:

No he has'nt. There is nothing special about the 50/1.8 HFT Planar.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSG wrote:
BRunner wrote:
Kram wrote:

Compared to a Domiplan it is Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSG wrote:
BRunner wrote:
Kram wrote:

Maybe not, but the eyeball I plan to put behind it totally is.
Wink

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
DSG wrote:
BRunner wrote:
Kram wrote:

Domiplan is the worst 50mm mf lens I ever tried. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Excalibur wrote:
DSG wrote:
BRunner wrote:
Kram wrote:

Domiplan is the worst 50mm mf lens I ever tried. Wink

You have'nt tried the CZJ 50mm f2.8 Tessar then...Thats the worst lens in my collection Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSG wrote:
You have'nt tried the CZJ 50mm f2.8 Tessar then...Thats the worst lens in my collection Very Happy

Then you can't have tried the Domiplan! The Tessar far outshines it.

Praktica cameras in the 60's were offered with three standard lens options. The most expensive was the Pancolar, then the Tessar and the Domiplan was way cheapest, with performance to match.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Peterqd, you forget the Meyer/Pentacon 50mm 1.8 for the Praktica. I think this one was a little bit more expensive than the Tessar; CZJ Pancolar was more pricey.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
Hey Peterqd, you forget the Meyer/Pentacon 50mm 1.8 for the Praktica. I think this one was a little bit more expensive than the Tessar; CZJ Pancolar was more pricey.

Could be. The brochure that came with my Praktica Nova 1B only mentions the Domi, Tessar and Pancolar, but the Oreston is in the complete list of CZJ/Meyer lenses in the manual. I didn't buy it new and I didn't have a choice. Anyway, that doesn't change the fact that the Domiplan was the pits! Smile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, this is a very special lens.
Posted images here:
http://forum.mflenses.com/first-rollei-hft-planar-50-1-8-shoot-t35106.html#1096938

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSG wrote:

It is. It's sharpness, contrast and colors from f1.8 to f2.8. No one of 50's I have or had can beat it. Including Pancolar 1.8/50, Summicron 2/50, Pentax M and FA 1.4/50, SMC Takumar 1.4/50, 1.8/55, Pentax M, A, F, FA 1.7/50, Tomioka 1.4/55, 1.2/55, Porst 1.2/55, Helioses... I'm very curious about Contax Planar 1.4/50 which is on the way to me.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRunner wrote:
DSG wrote:

It is. It's sharpness, contrast and colors from f1.8 to f2.8. No one of 50's I have or had can beat it. Including Pancolar 1.8/50, Summicron 2/50, Pentax M and FA 1.4/50, SMC Takumar 1.4/50, 1.8/55, Pentax M, A, F, FA 1.7/50, Tomioka 1.4/55, 1.2/55, Porst 1.2/55, Helioses... I'm very curious about Contax Planar 1.4/50 which is on the way to me.

+1

Including all my 50s .... and 1.4/50 Planar.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRunner wrote:
DSG wrote:

The Canon FD 50mm f1.4 and Hexanon 50mm f1.7 are very good and might give the Planar some competition Wink

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRunner wrote:
DSG wrote:

BRunner, with my first test images, what struck me was exactly what you said, the way it renders colours and the sharpness. I shot almost all my samples between 1.8-2.8. Good close focus distance too. My new favorite.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only Nikkor 1.8/50 AiS version 1 from my 50s can come close at the sharpness @1.8 of the Planar 1.8/50.

(Central sharpness with tripod at 45cm )

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to revitalize the thread with a question. I've got a Rollei Planar 1.8/50 made in Singapore in 1977 following the Paepke Fototechnik who repairs Rollei analog products and who friendly replied to me when I sent them the S/N. I has metal and not rubber focusing ring. The coating is not marked on the lens barrel (like HFT), it just says Planar 1,8/50 Made by Rollei s/n SL. But a red-rainbow relex is well seen under a particular angle. Stunnig lens, impressive 3D effect, beautiful color rendition and microcontrast.

What I discovered testing it, the lens gets pretty much of flare. It is predictibly visible directly opposed to the sun. For example, here is a frontal shot of sunset, which gives red and yellow light spots.

I imagine, those of you who have this lens or its analog expreienced the same effect? (I slightly pushed the contrast).

But what estonished me, in the low light the lens catches even worse some artificial light which is weaker and normally less obtrusive. Look at that night test shot (here I also slightly pushed the contrast). Are not those multiple lamp reflexes weird?

Did you have such an experience with your Rollei Planar or Color-Ultron? If yes, what is your way to cope with it? Is there a good remedy, like a special filter?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sort of green ghosting has been reported from Sony a7r users recently. Are you using a filter?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shot with the sun - the flare is from the lens.
The second shot - it is possible to be UV filter or other filter in front of the lens or the lens itself.
Only one 50mm lens I have tested is good enough to shoot against bright lights and it is SMC Pentax M 50 1.7. It is hard to make flares with it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, ManualFocus-G, the lens came with a nice B+W UV filter on it. It sits so well on the lens that I did not have an idea to get it off. I think, it is from the same period, the 1970s. More precisely, the filter ring says: B+W 49ES 1*. Both shots were made using NEX-5N, with a FOTGA adapter.

simbon4o, thanks for your tip, next time I will go into the night with the filter off. Agree with your judgment on SMC Pentax lens. I tested an S-M-C Takumar 1.4/50. It cuts any flare to death! But Planar gives a visibly stronger 3D effect, hard to resist.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made another test in order to see if my Planar gets flare because of the UV filter it came with. So I waited for the night came and made some shots with NEX-5n. Let's see the difference.

Here is a shot with the UV filter on:

The flare is similar to what I already showed in my first post.

And here is the shot with no filter:

The image esthetics apart, what the filter makes, it only sharpens the flare spot given by the lens itself. This Planar is heavily sensitive to stray light!

That ruined my hope for the filter to be the source of that parasitic reflexes in night shots. Maybe some coating issue in my case, even if I can see no visible defects.

But I am not at all dissapointed with the other (and the main) qualities of the lens. The image quality it produces, both for portraits and landscapes, is outstanding.