Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rollei or Contax 35/2.8 and 85/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Rollei or Contax 35/2.8 and 85/2.8 Reply with quote

I was looking for these lenses in Contax mount to compliment my 28/2.8, 50/1.4 and 135/2.8. I ran into a 35/2.8 and 85/2.8 in Rollei mount and was wondering what the differences are compared to the Contax's.

The 35/2.8 is a HFT version made by Rollei in Singapore and the 85/2.8 is made in West Germany and does not say "HFT" so is probably single coated ?

Is there a substantial difference between the Rollei or Contax 35/2.8 and 85/2.8? (apart from the filter size?)

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rollei made in Germany by Zeiss are T* even if they are labeled hft
Rollei 85:2.8 have 1 glass element less than the Contax version
on Canon, you probably won't reach infinity with Rollei

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
Rollei made in Germany by Zeiss are T* even if they are labeled hft

From the different sources it seems that T* and HFT are pretty much identical; Zeiss helped Rollei develop their own implementation of T* coating. I've heard there are some differences in colour rendering. My Voigtländer Color-Ultron 50/1.8 is identical to the Rollei Planar 50/1.8 HFT and emphasizes red colours quite much (in pictures of snow my CZJ Pancolar 50/1.8 has much more green).

About the Distagon 35/2.8: If you use a 5D then you may need to shave part of the metal around the rear element. Adjusting infinity focus shouldn't be difficult.
From one person I've heard that he found the Rollei to be inferior to the Contax version. Others say that they are identical in performance. I'd say: if it's cheap enough you can try the Rollei. They are definitely not ideal for adapting though.