Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rokinon (Samyang) mount conversion to Sony Alpha [question]
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Rokinon (Samyang) mount conversion to Sony Alpha [question] Reply with quote

Hello,

I have the opportunity to get a Samyang 85mm/1.4 in canon EF mount, while there's no problem using the lens on a mirrorless camera, I'd like to be able to mount it on my Sony alpha cameras. Maybe someone has some knowledge, whether is it possible to change mounts. This lens is available for most of the digital systems out there, so I thought it shouldn't be a big problem, but I may be mistaken...

Tried searching on google for this, found a sigma user forum - http://sigmauserforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=802

A guy there managed to change the mounts, though he didn't show any photos, or describe thoroughly the process

Quote:

The now well known Samyang prime lenses (8mm fisheye f/3.5, 14mm f/2.8, 85mm f/1.4) comes in various mounts, but not the SA mount. I did contact them last year, asking if there was a plan to to release the samyangs lenses in SA mount, the answer was "No". Then I asked if it could be possible to order a 85mm with the EOS bayonet replaced by a K ring (but without the aperture lever). I'm still waiting for an answer.

But, last month, at the Paris "Salon de la Photo", I get a chance to manipulate those Samyang lenses, and try them on my SD14 (just holding them in front of the camera). I particularly observed the way the rear element move or not.
Convinced a canon EOS Samyang would be easily converted to SA mount (just had a doubt about how the EOS ring was in any way linked to the aperture mechanism), I did buy a 85mm.

Three days later, after unmounting the EOS ring and a little DIY to create the SA ring of the right thickness out of a M42/K adapter (total cost of the conversion is around 5-7€), I now have a great short tele lens with a wide aperture. Results are really good, and I doubt you can get similar quality for the price (275€ for the lense + 5€ for the conversion).
The bonus is, the conversion is totally reversible, so even if you have a problem with the lens while under warranty, just remount the EOS ring and bring the lens to your dealer.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll reply to myself Smile

Managed to make the conversion. Actually proved to be quite easy.
I removed the canon mount - 3 screws. To mount it on SA I used a M42 adapter, you have to drill 3 holes.
To match the register distance you need to use some shims - I used some plastic from a sim card - didn't test it for infinity, but MFD matched the lens.

I didn't make any photos of the process (but the final result), it's easy to do and totally reversible.

How it looks.

3 plastic pieces.

Sample photo take with my a55